Camping, Glamping, Bikamping

They have a couple of really nice paved bike trail, a short one along the Colorado river is spectacular. The other one goes out to the Giant Dinosaur Park. If it’s hard or impossible to get in to Arches, there is plenty of things to do in Canyonlands.
Yes indeed! A few years back, we rode the Colorado River trail on rented conventional bikes. Last time I was there, e-bikes weren't permitted. The only place they were allowed was on the back country trails east of Moab. Many folks park their cars and run around on rented UTV's, which are legal to ride on city streets. That was 3 years ago so things may have changed.

Arches and other popular NP's out there now require reservations to enter. They can be made on the NPS website 3 months in advance.

We never had any problems with our e bikes on trails. We also rented UTV’s for a day and yes, they still let you drive them on the streets.

Not to worry, I've done my share of sleeping on the ground. Got paid to sleep on the ground--with 19 other people underneath a tarp shelter. Sometimes I slept on the dirt, with no sleeping gear. There were cold mornings watching pretty sunrises, then...back to work.

For some reason, that makes me really appreciate having a nice bed to sleep in, although the ground was better for my back. :)

I would like to try bike touring, and have all the gear I'd need for camping, but this area does not have power sources in convenient places for charging batteries. I've thought about a conventional bike, but then I have some steep hills to contend with. It's quite a dilemma.

So campgrounds, motels, and the occasional boondock for overnight trips.

My last trip involved twentynine overnight stays. Four of those nights were in motels, two were boondocking in Texas (a cattle ranch and a ghost town ), two more were in state parks ( one in Texas, one in Tennessee) the rest were the KOAs and the other private campgrounds along the way.

Some were just a spot on a parking lot with hookups, while others were like little gated communities with country club level amenities. Some specialized in permanent residents, many seasonal ... pipeline workers, tourist season employees, families that leave their rig year round and stay in the summer.

We rarely made reservations or found a full campground.

Maybe Rv activities are slowing down across the board.. Most Campgrounds are packed any more. So a slow down would be nice for the full timers that travel around .. Hope to get to Moab in April.

Maybe Rv activities are slowing down across the board.. Most Campgrounds are packed any more. So a slow down would be nice for the full timers that travel around .. Hope to get to Moab in April.
I spoke with several full timers on this trip. Some were full time by choice (mostly retired), others (mostly families? ) were driven by economic necessity. Quite a diverse and odd group, but friendly . Two full timers (at least) that I spoke with rode eBikes.

We travel in a minivan equipped with a bed, kitchen and 1500 watt solar generator. But in most cases stay in motels and tried to find 30 to 40 mile loop rides around the places we stopped.
E98CF1B6-7742-4F9E-9C5F-27AC5A55E2E3.jpeg
6C1A3618-AD54-4A54-8EBC-5559576D9068.jpeg

Yes indeed! A few years back, we rode the Colorado River trail on rented conventional bikes. Last time I was there, e-bikes weren't permitted. The only place they were allowed was on the back country trails east of Moab. Many folks park their cars and run around on rented UTV's, which are legal to ride on city streets. That was 3 years ago so things may have changed.

Arches and other popular NP's out there now require reservations to enter. They can be made on the NPS website 3 months in advance.
Ran into a problem with Carlsbad Caverns being booked up a long time in advance b/c of social distancing in caves. Wasn't on my list, anyway, but it's good to check any NP well in advance.

We travel in a minivan equipped with a bed, kitchen and 1500 watt solar generator. But in most cases stay in motels and tried to find 30 to 40 mile loop rides around the places we stopped.View attachment 112722View attachment 112723
Like the solar generator/panels/battery approach much better than propane/generator/tanks common in RVs. Google TheFitRV if you want to know about all electric RVs...

My plan is to order a new one someday... I want to put in as much lithium as I can or if they have some new tech by that time.. Maybe a fast charge like a capacitor will be available by that time... Then load it up with solar.. On a 45' rv I think I can get close to 4800w or so ( they have the raised sides now and the panels would be above everything).. Maybe a split ac system with the square registers and so on.. I have ideas ..

Dionigi I like that setup.. just awesome.

They are pricey indeed. Another issue with pickup campers is the weight. Many of the fancier ones weigh over 4000# which requires modification to the truck suspension.

The last time I rode in one was when I hitched a ride to the grocery store with a guy who was camped next to me. He had a Ford F350 dually and the rig rode like a tank. The camper was very nice inside though.

I guess I'm at the stage in life where I could afford the camper but question the overall practicality. I can stay in a lot of nice hotels for less money. I have a long list of places I stay which are located near my favorite riding spots. Sure, I could do the same with a camper but I'd give up some creature comforts in the process.

I guess everything has a tradeoff when it comes to camping.

BTW, we've booked a week at the Mainstay Suites in Moab this May. One of the best places I know to camp, glamp or "rough it" at a hotel!

A couple of thought as an class-A motorhome owner over the past 20+ years...

1. Sprinter campers are indeed expensive. And they are still cramped, and way limited in capacity - water, sewer, power, space.
2. Truck campers are great for some offroad travel, but still very cramped. Works out okay for a loner, but two people are constantly bumping into each other in them. And yes, they are expensive and heavy. Also very limited as per point #1.
3. RV's are not practical. At all. They're expensive, depreciate like crazy, are a maintenance headache even new (sometimes worse), get crappy fuel economy, and in a lot of areas any campgrounds are full up so you have to reserve six months in advance. It's a LIFESTYLE choice. We call it 'Wheel-Estate". A poor investment for sure. But WAAAAYYYYY fun. Especially with a family.
4. I loathe hotels/motels. Sleeping in someone else's bed - well, many people's bed - is, well, just yuck. LOL Just something about that, and that carpet. OMG. I find the $200 places aren't as bad. LOL
5. Generally you can't bring a pet into a motel. Well, some you can, but if you have 3 dogs it's a bust. Sure you can leave them with a sitter or at a kennel, but there is the cost and some just don't do well in that scenario. With 3 dogs and 3 kids hotels are not a great solution. Plus, many out of the way places, off the grid places, there is no hotel-motel.
6. Van camping is over-rated. They're cramped, cold (or hot), expensive, and extremely limited. A car and a tent is better in many ways. Both definitely have their pros and cons.
7. With an RV you bring your house with you. You have your own bed, your closet, and your own bathroom, and your own food. We hate restaurants too. 'Nuff said.

😇

Like the solar generator/panels/battery approach much better than propane/generator/tanks common in RVs. Google TheFitRV if you want to know about all electric RVs...
301D0AAB-9F10-4E9C-8CBF-09EA46B8D13F.jpeg

The solar generator seemed to be the easy to charge the bike batteries when camping without a plug-in. The small frig. also is powered by the 1500 w generator.

I think I could sell my trailer for what I paid for it. Fiberglass trailers are wanted and there is quite a long wait for a new one. They are not sold by dealers and must be ordered from the factories.

My friends have a large Citation camper. It is wider than my trailer and seems way roomier. My bathroom is bigger though. I get better gas mileage than they do.

They have a couple of really nice paved bike trail, a short one along the Colorado river is spectacular. The other one goes out to the Giant Dinosaur Park. If it’s hard or impossible to get in to Arches, there is plenty of things to do in Canyonlands.

I'll have to check out the one to Dinosaur Park. Sounds interesting.

BTW, I've replied to a few threads from Dodge Man on the TractorByNet forum. Is that you? I'm known as bdhsfz6 over there.

Went to the dinosaur Park on a sunday to take the grand daughter She is 3.. It was closed so maybe next time.. Moab is a fun place to Off road or bike..

Fridge and cooler to the right, generator to the left, storage under cooler ?
E0F6CE86-0272-41FE-90CF-C4E03E9B8CBA.jpeg

The storage on the left contains the kitchen items. With two doors, one facing out and one facing rear seats. The top unfolds out the door for a table. The cabinets clip in to the same connectors as the seats so easy to take in or out. They also slide left and right.

A couple of thought as an class-A motorhome owner over the past 20+ years...

1. Sprinter campers are indeed expensive. And they are still cramped, and way limited in capacity - water, sewer, power, space.
2. Truck campers are great for some offroad travel, but still very cramped. Works out okay for a loner, but two people are constantly bumping into each other in them. And yes, they are expensive and heavy. Also very limited as per point #1.
3. RV's are not practical. At all. They're expensive, depreciate like crazy, are a maintenance headache even new (sometimes worse), get crappy fuel economy, and in a lot of areas any campgrounds are full up so you have to reserve six months in advance. It's a LIFESTYLE choice. We call it 'Wheel-Estate". A poor investment for sure. But WAAAAYYYYY fun. Especially with a family.
4. I loathe hotels/motels. Sleeping in someone else's bed - well, many people's bed - is, well, just yuck. LOL Just something about that, and that carpet. OMG. I find the $200 places aren't as bad. LOL
5. Generally you can't bring a pet into a motel. Well, some you can, but if you have 3 dogs it's a bust. Sure you can leave them with a sitter or at a kennel, but there is the cost and some just don't do well in that scenario. With 3 dogs and 3 kids hotels are not a great solution. Plus, many out of the way places, off the grid places, there is no hotel-motel.
6. Van camping is over-rated. They're cramped, cold (or hot), expensive, and extremely limited. A car and a tent is better in many ways. Both definitely have their pros and cons.
7. With an RV you bring your house with you. You have your own bed, your closet, and your own bathroom, and your own food. We hate restaurants too. 'Nuff said.

😇
I agree with everything you just said @Browneye, but I would still do it again if this van were destroyed . Another high van for sure , probably another Sprinter. It's a sickness.

Some people say what a sad/boring world it would be if we all thought alike. It just occurred to me if everyone agreed with one persons choice in an RV, place to go, way to get there, mate to have while doing it, we would all be competing for scarce resources indeed.

Back