Camping, Glamping, Bikamping

How do you secure your bikes for travel?
I’ve fitted some posts to the wall and sides which they are strapped too.
D4DF63F7-0117-4B66-9EB4-300913EE77A3.jpeg
DA9D77CB-F62C-4182-A97F-20E6F1B74EEC.jpeg
D9038430-727D-4C4A-802E-110BC1900FF0.jpeg

This way they are nice and secure.

like those posts setups in your van! great idea
i have the 1up van racks but yours is much cleaner/smaller

somewhere a while back saw a new van tire mount setup, will see if i can find it again and post

here it is

this website is a lot bigger now, lot of different options

well the link wont paste but it is

boltiton.com

Last summer at a trailhead, I saw a van set up to carry bikes that I really liked. It was a Ford cargo van with a "drawer" style slide out like this:

It had roof style bike racks bolted to the slide. It took the owner less than 2 minutes to open the door, slide out the "drawer" and unload his bike.

I may look into something like this if I decide to get a van. One issue I have is I need a 4WD vehicle to get to some of my favorite trails. AWD or 4WD vans are few and far between unless you're willing to pay big $$ for a conversion.

Do 13 to 16 foot trailers tend to do all right with a hitch mount on the back so I could put 200 lbs of bikes and rack back there?
I have a Swagman eBike Fat-tire rack for 2 on the rear of our 12' Aliner. It moves from the Aframe to our Subaru.

On the Crosstrek I can carry my 26 and 20 inch Fattie ( the 20 being a folder). On the Aliner just the 26". Even towing just that the first hitch reciever welded to the bumper cracked the welds in SC due to the up/down roll of I-95. Once I had it braced and rewelded I have had no issues for at least 7k miles. Still I don't like the bike on the back of our trailer but endure it because thats the only option. Our folder rides in the trailer and is only put on the rack ( when its on our Aliner) as a way to secure both bikes. The real issue is the whipping effect the rear end of trailers endure. Most RV companies will state not to carry bicycle racks on their products.

Been looking for something like this since nice I bought my 2016 Metris ! Awesome, calling Monday…

As long as you have a good bike rack and make sure the attachment is beefed up... Careful of Balancing the bikes on the back and the tongue weight... IF the geometry is off it can cause some fish tail of the rear... It can become very dangerous for everyone in the area if it gets out of hand.. You would be able to drive but only like 50 mph so it doesn't get out of hand.. but weight distribution is very important... Don't want to take 2hrs to go 50 miles

View attachment 112451
So this is my way ... closer to Glamping than Bikamping.
I saw this family tent in a KOA or similar campground in Texas. View attachment 112452

They ( 2 adults, 2 girls, 1 10yo, 1 5yo ) began their journey in Portland Oregon. There is no sag wagon or even a support car.
I've been contemplating entering this section of traveling, just not sure how much of a camper traveler I am.
I think to start I may go the @DiggyGun way as it seems the most versatile.
Definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread.

Id say rent a small Rv to try it out for a week or a few days.. You will need to make yourself familiar with the operation or driving/ handling of the rv then how to use it Ie..Filling it up.. water/ fuel/ propane.. level it, setup interior bed if needed, operation ofequipment like the generator if it has one, the operation of the water pump ie sink/ Toilet and how to turn on and use the Propane/ fridge and then after you have done all of this and used the rv for said days.. Learn the fun part
Dumping the black and grey tanks and flushing the system. some have a spout you attach the hose to and others fill the tank through the toilet to add enough water to flush.. but if renting..Just dumping will be enough.

A little overwhelming at first but its not a big deal once you have the hang of it.. Enjoying the outdoors comes to another level at that point.. Most will have fun but like I said dont get to stressed on the process and it will be worth it.

The ford transit vans can come in awd from the factory now
So do the Mercedes sprinters
I bought a Ram 5500 cab and chassis a couple of years ago and when adding all the options I wanted it to be built with 4x4 was $3500 more. $3500 over the lifetime usability of that truck was pretty modest in my mind.

I've been contemplating entering this section of traveling, just not sure how much of a camper traveler I am.
I think to start I may go the @DiggyGun way as it seems the most versatile.
Definitely gonna keep an eye on this thread.
Lots to consider about RVs. I simply should not tow a trailer, or even a car, so a van or even bigger motor home was my only option, but it depends on what you want.
A functional galley and shower was important to me, but others use their showers only as closets, and the galley microwave only to reheat takeout meals. Some people really care about a permanently setup, comfortable, and private bed, while a bed is just a place to lay out a sleeping bag for me.
How much time will be spent traveling, setting up, and repacking your stuff? Will you stay just a single night or a week? How much drive time per day is doable?
Many big differences between the people and their rigs at any campground, and even more extremes among boondockers.

Lots to consider about RVs. I simply should not tow a trailer, or even a car, so a van or even bigger motor home was my only option, but it depends on what you want.
A functional galley and shower was important to me, but others use their showers only as closets, and the galley microwave only to reheat takeout meals. Some people really care about a permanently setup, comfortable, and private bed, while a bed is just a place to lay out a sleeping bag for me.
How much time will be spent traveling, setting up, and repacking your stuff? Will you stay just a single night or a week? How much drive time per day is doable?
Many big differences between the people and their rigs at any campground, and even more extremes among boondockers.
And we have to haul ebikes that most rigs aren't setup for. Really much worse than buying an ebike

I kinda like the looks of an Intertech Flyer trailer. I think that's the one. They are a small toy hauler and no bathroom. I'd have to make a bathroom for one. Not that I will get one. They are spendier or about the same as a fiberglass trailer, but it would be easy to roll a bike inside. And maybe a reclilner or comfy chair too. :)

I kinda like the looks of an Intertech Flyer trailer. I think that's the one. They are a small toy hauler and no bathroom. I'd have to make a bathroom for one. Not that I will get one. They are spendier or about the same as a fiberglass trailer, but it would be easy to roll a bike inside. And maybe a reclilner or comfy chair too. :)
Folding recliner and rocker both fit under a double bed, just sayin'

I kinda went the other way. Maybe something snapped in my brain. At least that is my wifes explanation. I went from a 31' Airstream back to a self contained e bike touring rig set up for remote travel. Yup, even a tent. There are definite times when that does not seem like such a good idea like tired, wind and rain coming.

I kinda went the other way. Maybe something snapped in my brain. At least that is my wifes explanation. I went from a 31' Airstream back to a self contained e bike touring rig set up for remote travel. Yup, even a tent. There are definite times when that does not seem like such a good idea like tired, wind and rain coming.
But you can go places that I can't in my van, and I can go places that a fifth wheel can't. "Horses for courses" or such.

Dont have many of the remodel.. havnt finished but I am close.. Here are some of ours with the kids and grand kids.

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg