Camping, Glamping, Bikamping

Another option I've been considering is an in bed pickup camper, I've been eyeing one of these from Lance:

It solves the 4WD issue since I can use the truck I have. Space is a bit tight though and the bikes would have to be stored outside overnight when using the camper.

The idea would be to transport the bikes inside for protection & security. Some sort of ramp would have to be designed to get the bikes up to and through the rear door.

Folding recliner and rocker both fit under a double bed, just sayin'
Not in the Casita. That's where I keep the solar panels and other stuff. Then there is no room inside the casita to set up anything. It's a very compact little trailer. I even downsized to a smaller dog, after my Lab died, because of the smallness.

The original plan was that the little dog would sleep under the bed, but the water pump noise ruined that plan. Her bed is by the door and bed with dog in it can be picked up and moved if that space is needed. There have been some incidents of things falling out of the closet and landing on the dog too, but she gets over that.

I started out with a teardrop trailer, but found it to be too small when the weather turned terrible. Then I bought an A Frame trailer and was happy with it, except when I forgot something inside that I needed in my truck and either had to crawl back in to retrieve the item, or set the trailer up again. I had planned on having for a longer time. Then a friend called and asked if I was interested in buying their Casita, so I did and sold the A frame. It's quite decadent to have a shower.

Another option I've been considering is an in bed pickup camper, I've been eyeing one of these from Lance:

It solves the 4WD issue since I can use the truck I have. Space is a bit tight though and the bikes would have to be stored outside overnight when using the camper.

The idea would be to transport the bikes inside for protection & security. Some sort of ramp would have to be designed to get the bikes up to and through the rear door.
My friends got a bicycle rack that fits on the front of the truck. I don't know if you can drive at night with that setup and I've never seen them actually use it. Neither one rides a bicycle anymore. They pull a utility trailer behind with his motorcycle on it instead.

Main problem for us also.. I went bigger so we had room to argue when we were inside the Rv..(joke)
We moved up from a teardrop to our current Aliner Scout ( 12' box). We have towed it over 30k up and over the Mtns out west and east with our Subaru Crosstrek. The comes a time when stand up headroom becomes a must. Since we carry a Dometic 65 freezer/fridge in the back of our Subbie we had the manufacturer strip out reefer, propane stove and plumbing for water entrance and exit. No fear of that unseen leaking hose rotting out the floor and the weight saved on stove and sink provides a working countertop with storage below. We consider it glamping but thats a relative term.

Not in the Casita. That's where I keep the solar panels and other stuff. Then there is no room inside the casita to set up anything. It's a very compact little trailer. I even downsized to a smaller dog, after my Lab died, because of the smallness.

The original plan was that the little dog would sleep under the bed, but the water pump noise ruined that plan. Her bed is by the door and bed with dog in it can be picked up and moved if that space is needed. There have been some incidents of things falling out of the closet and landing on the dog too, but she gets over that.

I started out with a teardrop trailer, but found it to be too small when the weather turned terrible. Then I bought an A Frame trailer and was happy with it, except when I forgot something inside that I needed in my truck and either had to crawl back in to retrieve the item, or set the trailer up again. I had planned on having for a longer time. Then a friend called and asked if I was interested in buying their Casita, so I did and sold the A frame. It's quite decadent to have a shower.
Indeed. A clean, warm shower.

Indeed. A clean, warm shower.
But a very fast one. The hot water doesn't last long.

I lived in a travel trailer for a couple of years so learned to be fast in the shower. A fast shower is still much much better than no shower. Must have an on off switchy thing on the shower head too.

Now there is some kind of water recycling thing that knows to put the water back in the clean water tank until the water reaches your comfy level of warmth.

But a very fast one. The hot water doesn't last long.

I lived in a travel trailer for a couple of years so learned to be fast in the shower. A fast shower is still much much better than no shower. Must have an on off switchy thing on the shower head too.

Now there is some kind of water recycling thing that knows to put the water back in the clean water tank until the water reaches your comfy level of warmth.
One of the things on my list is a bigger hot water tank. I think mine is only 3 or 4 gallons - ok for me, but not enough for my wife's hair.

On demand would be nice, but then, if boondocking, one might use too much water.
On demand hot water is definitely a convenient way to conserve water but it requires a power source. Without an electrical hookup, a good sized battery and/or generator would be required.

My father had a well designed water system aboard his boat. It had a 200 gal. water tank with a separate well insulated 20 gal. hot water tank. A heat exchanger kept the water hot when the engines were running and on demand faucets maintained water temperature when at anchor. The boat had a large battery bank and an 8KW diesel generator so power wasn't a problem. Class C motor homes sometimes use a similar system but it isn't practical for smaller R/V's and trailers.

I have an Aquahot (endless hot water or at least until tank run dry) and 1200 ah of lithium with 1200w of solar on top.. a big 10k generator.. holds 100 gal of fresh water and 175g of diesel.. little chunk of change for a fill up but fun none the less and worth the cost in fun.

Been in about 7 degree weather and it was 76-78 set temps inside.. heard of others being in negative territory at about -20 and still worked good... The aquahot heats the cabin and the water... it also allows for the coolant to heat the cabin and water.. cool setup .

I can run the ac off the batteries at night but not in 100 degree temps (I havnt tried yet)

I have an Aquahot (endless hot water or at least until tank run dry) and 1200 ah of lithium with 1200w of solar on top.. a big 10k generator.. holds 100 gal of fresh water and 175g of diesel.. little chunk of change for a fill up but fun none the less and worth the cost in fun.

Been in about 7 degree weather and it was 76-78 set temps inside.. heard of others being in negative territory at about -20 and still worked good... The aquahot heats the cabin and the water... it also allows for the coolant to heat the cabin and water.. cool setup .

I can run the ac off the batteries at night but not in 100 degree temps (I havnt tried yet)
Glamping, indeed.

Main problem for us also.. I went bigger so we had room to argue when we were inside the Rv..(joke)
I feel like I'm in a toy camper when parked beside something like that .But anyone that gave me a liscence to drive a big rig wouldn't be doing the world (or me) any favors.

I like those too. Can't remember the name of the one with the long step down canopy over the rear steps, but even they backup normally, just long and draggy, unlike a utility trailer. .

This last fall we spent a month in Moab Utah. I noticed a lot of the van type campers, the Sprinter type. I was looking inside one from afar while the owner had the door open. It looked nice but cramped. I never seriously considered buying one but priced then anyway. It looks they start at $60,000 and it’s easy to spend over $100,000. We rented what I considered a nice house for the entire month for $4,000. Not cheap but still seems better deal than a camper unless your really into it.

I realize it’s a lifestyle and a choice. I’m not sure if you’d call it glamping or not but I did some last week. You know, you fall asleep in your recliner then wake up and stagger into bed. Is that glamping?

This last fall we spent a month in Moab Utah. I noticed a lot of the van type campers, the Sprinter type. I was looking inside one from afar while the owner had the door open. It looked nice but cramped. I never seriously considered buying one but priced then anyway. It looks they start at $60,000 and it’s easy to spend over $100,000. We rented what I considered a nice house for the entire month for $4,000. Not cheap but still seems better deal than a camper unless your really into it.

I realize it’s a lifestyle and a choice. I’m not sure if you’d call it glamping or not but I did some last week. You know, you fall asleep in your recliner then wake up and stagger into bed. Is that glamping?
They are pricey indeed. Another issue with pickup campers is the weight. Many of the fancier ones weigh over 4000# which requires modification to the truck suspension.

The last time I rode in one was when I hitched a ride to the grocery store with a guy who was camped next to me. He had a Ford F350 dually and the rig rode like a tank. The camper was very nice inside though.

I guess I'm at the stage in life where I could afford the camper but question the overall practicality. I can stay in a lot of nice hotels for less money. I have a long list of places I stay which are located near my favorite riding spots. Sure, I could do the same with a camper but I'd give up some creature comforts in the process.

I guess everything has a tradeoff when it comes to camping.

BTW, we've booked a week at the Mainstay Suites in Moab this May. One of the best places I know to camp, glamp or "rough it" at a hotel!

Last edited:
They have a couple of really nice paved bike trail, a short one along the Colorado river is spectacular. The other one goes out to the Giant Dinosaur Park. If it’s hard or impossible to get in to Arches, there is plenty of things to do in Canyonlands.

Back