Budget ebikes <$1000

With the Macwheel, as I commented in the Electrek article, I would've picked the Wrangler model for its bigger motor & battery.

Under a grand im going with Ecotric! they have a bunch of decent 48v folding bikes under 1000 bucks and they seem to have really stepped up their
CS!
1607758315247.png

re: the Jueshai frame.

No info on rear dropout size. 135mm or 175mm? Probably 135mm, It's set up for rim brakes. It has the dreaded dual diameter seat tube, which is OK on a regular bike. On a folder, your seat tube might extend six inches or more above the frame, so there's only two inches of metal actually holding the seat post (snap). The other part I dislike is the open box behind the BB. On the Ecotric, the box was cast with only one opening, so it's that much stronger.

I could buy a decent enough folding bike for $75 more, motorize it for $250. Add a battery, but now I'm well past $600. I've done that several times. Could have bought the Ecotric Starfish for $599. Its main drawback is 3 level PAS and weighs 15-20 pounds more.
starfish.jpg

Last edited:
Here is another budget EMTB for under $850... a good value for a commuter or light trail bike. ;)

Macwheel Wrangler 600 e-bike review: Can you get a good electric mountain bike for $850? (electrek.co)

Macwheel Wrangler tech specs
  • Motor: 500W rear hub motor
  • Top speed: 40 km/h (25 mph)
  • Range: Up to 48 km (30 mi)
  • Battery: 48V 10Ah (480 Wh)
  • Weight: 29.8 kg (65.7 lb)
  • Frame: Aluminum
  • Tires: Kenda 27.5″ x 2.1″
  • Suspension: Front spring fork
  • Brakes: Tektro mechanical disc brakes
  • Extras: LCD display with speedometer, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, throttle/pedal assist operation, front LED light, electrical horn

Here is another budget EMTB for under $850... a good value for a commuter or light trail bike. ;)

Macwheel Wrangler 600 e-bike review: Can you get a good electric mountain bike for $850? (electrek.co)

Macwheel Wrangler tech specs
  • Motor: 500W rear hub motor
  • Top speed: 40 km/h (25 mph)
  • Range: Up to 48 km (30 mi)
  • Battery: 48V 10Ah (480 Wh)
  • Weight: 29.8 kg (65.7 lb)
  • Frame: Aluminum
  • Tires: Kenda 27.5″ x 2.1″
  • Suspension: Front spring fork
  • Brakes: Tektro mechanical disc brakes
  • Extras: LCD display with speedometer, battery gauge, PAS level indicator, throttle/pedal assist operation, front LED light, electrical horn
Try Viribus bike, they have great quality bikes under $1000

At Viribus, we provide electric bicycles at a cheaper price and of good Quality, Most people may think electric bikes are expensive, but it is NOT! When you go online you may find out that most electric bicycles' prices are up to $1000! But not for Viribus, you can buy an electric bicycle for under 500 and enjoy your riding!

I really don't know. I've only had e-bikes in the last year & already had bad experiences w/ these: ECOTRIC (throttle just stopped working the very 1st time took it riding, so fortunately able to return by the 14-day rtn policy) & MOTIV (had various troubles about 3 mos into buying w/ bike shop repairs about 8-10x's) & now stuck w/ them, but they're working for the moment. I was very close to getting Rad Power Bikes, but decided against it because I felt rushed since the models I wanted were discontinued, so it was just a temporary feeling of wanting to snap them up. But I did thorough research & they probably would have been pretty good. I heard Lectric was crap. Most brands are going to be good the first few mos or so many miles.

I think the saying still goes, that you get what you pay for for the most part & $1000 up to even 1500 is a little too cheap. I'll sve up till I can pay more. We know nothing on this earth is perfect, a person just hopes when they choose a product to buy, whether it be a car, computer, or bike, that it's going to be something that will give us the LEAST amt of problems. To this day, I'm still learning of new brands I've never heard of before.

We have two I consider entry level ebicycles about 800.00 each, so far so good, with a battery issue that was addressed by seller.
But saying that, you can feel the difference on more expensive bikes,just by the design, I agree that my next buy will be harder to make, I just hope the ebicycle crowd can mix in with the rest using trails.
We have been on trails and sometimes seen the owners not being responsible, it's the world we have to cope with.

I have had a Macwheel wrangler for over one year and 1000 plus miles. (I also have a Pedego Interceptor) Pluses for the Macwheel: lighter weight, better balance, zero problems thus far. Negatives: only a 10 amp/h battery. Range is 30 plus miles on level routes at low assist levels. On hilly routes range is less than 20. In 1000 miles I have added a stem riser, a suspension seat post, and new tires at 800 miles. Still I have a bike that is fun to ride for shorter distances and with the additions is still under $1100.

Back