Breaking down far from... anything?

What brand/model?
Its a DIY thing. I wrote it up here. This is the only 48v pump I could find. Weighs basically nothing. Since I always have a set of panniers on any bike I am riding this just lays flat on the bottom of one of them. on my EMTB I can fit it into my handlebar bag with room to spare. It has soooo saved my ass on more than one occasion now I have just said to hell with it and its now a permanent part of the luggage.

In particular: a freaking strip of roofing nails a couple of months ago. Good luck with co2 or a pump getting air back in faster than a dang half dozen nail holes right in a row. 4.8" fat tubeless tires on a loaded cargo bike coming back from Home Depot. I needed three refills (ride a block, refill. Ride another block. Refill) before the sealant - FlatOut - got settled in, and the tire is still holding to this day.

Its a DIY thing. I wrote it up here. This is the only 48v pump I could find. Weighs basically nothing. Since I always have a set of panniers on any bike I am riding this just lays flat on the bottom of one of them. on my EMTB I can fit it into my handlebar bag with room to spare. It has soooo saved my ass on more than one occasion now I have just said to hell with it and its now a permanent part of the luggage.

In particular: a freaking strip of roofing nails a couple of months ago. Good luck with co2 or a pump getting air back in faster than a dang half dozen nail holes right in a row. 4.8" fat tubeless tires on a loaded cargo bike coming back from Home Depot. I needed three refills (ride a block, refill. Ride another block. Refill) before the sealant - FlatOut - got settled in, and the tire is still holding to this day.

Around here the dumpsters are filled with all kinds of construction waste when the compactor truck raises and tips the dumpster, nails, drywall screws etc, fall out on the gravel pad.I think every "State Trooper" should have a "magnet day" each month*, to really serve the Public by actually engaging in a constructive activity, rather ticketing some poor sod for going 10 miles over some arbitrary speed limit .

* "Magnet Day"- When a powerful detachable electromagnet is fitted under the " Push bar" of Troopers Cruisers to pick up all the nasty bits of ferrous material that causes so many inconvenient. nasty flats. When I walked down the shoulder of RT. 29 in a College town about 80 miles from where I live, I was appalled by the number of drywall screes, nails, trim screws, etc, laying thereabouts. Spent several minutes picking them up and chucking into a "DI".

If your definition of "far from anywhere" includes dumpsters and garbage pickup I am a tad skeptical...

Last edited:
If your definition of "far from anywhere" includes dumpsters and garbage pickup I am a tad skeptical...
The nearest town is 45 minutes away and it has literally nothing, come take a cruise thru "depleted sands Appalachia"( the Bear Hunters open up the lids on the "Bear proof" dumpsters to attract Bears) Most jobs are minimum wage. Packer trucks can run miles for the weekly pickup, sometimes the Dumpsters overflow, mostly with the out of towners rebuild projects( you cannot always get a signal on your cell phone either. Be skeptical all you want and try to find a near bike path.
And where did I say"far from anywhere"?

The nearest town is 45 minutes away and it has literally nothing, come take a cruise thru "depleted sands Appalachia"( the Bear Hunters open up the lids on the "Bear proof" dumpsters to attract Bears) Most jobs are minimum wage. Packer trucks can run miles for the weekly pickup, sometimes the Dumpsters overflow, mostly with the out of towners rebuild projects( you cannot always get a signal on your cell phone either. Be skeptical all you want and try to find a near bike path.
And where did I say"far from anywhere"?
I'm sorry but that was the thread title, or more exactly "far from anything".

I live an hour (on mostly good roads, when they are open) from the nearest traffic light, and slightly further to the nearest Wal-mart (referred to as the "sad Wal-mart" because it isn't exactly thriving). There is no shortage of charismatic megafauna here either. I do not have land-line phone service here, as do many residents in this area as well. I have never had garbage pickup and have had to haul my own trash. You learn to minimize trash volume early on. Most of the year UPS and Fedex are unable to deliver to me. USPS never has made it here.

As for cell service, do not even get me started. Most places I ride have no cell service at all. At home I just barely have cell service. Outsiders learn to park in certain places so they can yakk on their cellulars.

Honestly, east coasters are as bad as Europeans or Asians for not understanding what true isolation is.

Back