Bought an Ebike from a "Popular Wisconsin Dealer"

I would have paid the $260 difference and bought local, both for better service and for the fact that local dealers provide everything under warranty, including labor.
But you didn't use your diety given wisdom so now you're pissed.
Promised by the salesperson that a suspension seatpost would be added to the order (for additional $ that I had agreed to) but it wasn't.
Anything not on an invoice is your fault.
Assured that the bike was going to be assembled, tested first, and then shipped out, (and that the salesperson would let me know), and it wasn't.
Testing and then disassembling can create issues.

Seriously? You hunted a lowball price and now want highball service. I swear this industry caters to whining. All these issues are inherent with shipping bikes. You chose not to support a local dealer.

In theory I agree with you but in my experience I'm not sure LBS's get a carte blanche on being the answer to on-line purchase risk. Frankly I had to sell an LBS to fix a flat on my wifes fatty eBike. He explained he only is willing to work on, not warenty, mind you, eBikes he sells. Then a long winded explanation as to why he is unable to fairly compete with internet competition blah, blah. I did get him to put sealent in the rear tire (because he refused to unplug the hub). I smiled, payed him and ordered what he had available as accessories from Amazon because....drum roll, I don't give a sh*t about some retailers "reasons" he can't or won't take my money after explaining why I should support local business. My job as a consumer is to advocate for my best interests not be a kumbiya patron of a brick and mortar retailer, although I do get it because I have had to pry a retailer away from his loyal customers hanging around his shop buying nothing, in order to get some service. If the OP gets his bike and all's well with it, I would say his 10% was worth the effort. If Larry ships out of state without charging tax, another 6-7%. If the idiot who gave him grief and they forgot the extras they were going to send guess what...the LBS lost add-on margins. I would love to see the return of the Ma and Pa model but for that to happen it would require Ma and Pa to give a serious reason to $hop there beyond some LBS preservation movement.
I’m totally with you. I had my local guy give me a raft of crap two years ago when I showed up with a tire to fix on a Trek I bought at a different dealer for quite a bit less than his price. I admit I bought my ebike from him for future support reasons and so far he's done me right. That said, I have and will continue to use any other Trek dealer in my area if he doesn’t perform to my expectations.

I get the impression that bike retailers feel like they are victims of sorts because those nasty consumers might choose to find their best situation for purchase. In fact Larry is a B&M dealer, so where was his honesty and great service? ( Of course this has not played out, so far. A follow up should be offered)

As far as looking at an eBike consumers bad experiences as a form of karma is absurd. To indicate service would have been better knowing it will never be put to a test is a horrible way to welcome new folks into an emerging market. Fortunately this "circle the wagons" retailer mentality opens the door to serious marketing professionals and the industry grows and the "old school guys" retire :)

I don't know I'm actually asking, does Haibike deal with the customer for warranty work?
What if they say take it to the dealer for repair?

I may have gotten your same sales rep a month ago. I asked about warranty work on a wheel. I agreed to pay shipping both ways.
The guy told me not only did I need to pay shipping both ways, but I had to call a shipper and set up all the shipping details.

I'm done with Crazy Lenny!

Last edited:
  1. Did you read the part where I was going off what they had told me in the sales process?
  2. Did you read the part where I had asked for it to be added to the order after for additional $, since it was being delivered to the dealer first?
  3. Ok, but again, going off of what I was told by the dealer as to the reason they were having it shipped to them first.
  4. Highball service? Wanting for the things I was told by the dealer to be accurate? That's me "whining" for highball service? I'd recommend a slight adjustment in your worldview lol.

Don't listen to the haters... its all nonsense. 😉

No one deserves to be told tough $hit by a salesperson... I am going to stop recommending Crazy Lenny's.

Lenny is an EBR member and has a golden opportunity to do the right thing here to restore his reputation.

Last edited:
I don't know I'm actually asking, does Haibike deal with the customer for warranty work?
What if they say take it to the dealer for repair?

I may have gotten your same sales rep a month ago. I asked about warranty work on a wheel. I agreed to pay shipping both ways.
The guy told me not only did I need to pay shipping both ways, but I had to call a shipper and set up all the shipping details.

I'm done with Crazy Lenny!
Technically, to honor the warranty CL could have required you to ship the whole bike to them. Yes, on your dime, as specified by the warranty. I agree though they could have made things easier for you as far as shipping, especially since you were covering the cost.

TO OBTAIN SERVICE UNDER THIS WARRANTY, YOU MUST:
  1. Fill out a claim form on this site or return your fully assembled Haibike bicycle to a Haibike Bicycles Authorized Dealer within the United States of America. A bicycle that has had the components removed cannot be evaluated or warranted.

Exclusions
  • Personal transportation costs or product freight costs to or from a Haibike Bicycles Authorized Dealer.
  • Charges associated with diagnosing, evaluating, or processing a warranty claim

Technically, to honor the warranty CL could have required you to ship the whole bike to them. Yes, on your dime, as specified by the warranty. I agree though they could have made things easier for you as far as shipping, especially since you were covering the cost.

TO OBTAIN SERVICE UNDER THIS WARRANTY, YOU MUST:
  1. Fill out a claim form on this site or return your fully assembled Haibike bicycle to a Haibike Bicycles Authorized Dealer within the United States of America. A bicycle that has had the components removed cannot be evaluated or warranted.

Exclusions
  • Personal transportation costs or product freight costs to or from a Haibike Bicycles Authorized Dealer.
  • Charges associated with diagnosing, evaluating, or processing a warranty claim

This is pretty standard stuff when it comes to warranty on mail order. Its also pretty standard that warranty can be performed by any dealer or repair shop authorized by the Mfg (brand). The fact labor is often not included is indicative of how "new" the industry is ( they are not big enough to absorb a dealers labor rate) and to the lack of dealers carrying the "brand". Having read all the OP"s posts he sounded articulate and was a smart enough man to already be aware of this enlightening information. Again why are LBS advocates jumping on this thread the way they are? Of course people expect verbal agreements to be honored in good faith. Apparently as consumers we are simply stupid. (Thanks for the heads up all you "insiders".)
So here is my suggestion. From now on when dealing with an LBS have a tape recorder handy ( a phone works) and a typed letter of "understanding" as too what you, as a consumer, expect from the LBS. Ask the principal of the business to feel free to correct any misconceptions in writing and sign it. You may now proceed with any transactions. Oh, and as your being asked by the dealer ( hopefully in a polite manner) to leave his establishment make sure he knows it was the industry insiders on this forum that prompted you to do business in this fashion. Naturally you would have preferred to have purchased a "fun" product in a "fun" manner because this is what "they" don't get. All they have to sell is FUN. No one "needs" an eBike. You can then proceed to take up photography, kayaking, drones etc and easily spend the fun money you set aside for an eBike on those activities. But be forewarned even those activities have their "gatekeepers" :)

It's just interesting how the gatekeeper system works in the ebike world.

I suspect that mail order bikes have a pretty slim margin. Warranty work probably cancels out that margin and thus the VERY TIGHT gatekeeper mentality.

But the bottom line still remains, they treated me poorly and lost a customer. All they had to do was bill me for shipping and I would have been happy!
If they are unwilling to work with customers after the sale what's the point in buying from them?

Purchase is just the start of the relationship! It shouldn't be the end!

AND FYI, I emailed them, filled out the form and got ZERO response.

I just signed up for this site after first coming across it in Jan 2020. Since then I've bought three ebikes - two Ride1Up 700s (his and hers) and a BH EasyMotion Lynx 6 Pro from Crazy Lenny. I want to detail my buying experience from them.

The backstory - I've been on bicycles since I was six or seven and mostly ride tight singletrack trails in North Carolina. I got into mtb in 1991 and have been through a lot of bikes. My 2004 26" Marin lasted right until the start of last year, when the frame broke. I replaced it with a Santa Cruz 5010 carbon. I started thinking about ebikes for something to ride on the beach when I am in FL (hence the R1Up - more on that bike in another post). During that search for information, I came across CL website as well as a post he originated here in January about the overstock of BH bikes.

Here is my experience - my first call (sometime in April) I reached a salesman who works three days a week. He offered the Lynx 6 Pro for the $2999 advertised price with free shipping being the one concession. I did a little research (and found the post on this forum), found that it had been offered for $2299 in late Jan and called CL back a couple of days later. At that time I reached Evan, who is the manager of the store. He said he could honor that price (awesome!), with free shipping. He had a 2017 model (in the smaller size, which didn't fit me) with a FOX fork that I preferred and was willing to swap the fork over to the 2018 model (larger size) for $100. We agreed on the $2399 and I gave him a $500 deposit by cc. They shipped it the next week and I got tracking info from UPS. It went through Chicago but didn't show it going any further. Over the next two weeks UPS agreed that they had lost the bike. Evan was helpful and informative during this time (although I was fretting over losing such a good deal - I thought it was the last one in the store). After the final determination by UPS, Evan told me they had one size large left. I mentioned that I shouldn't have to pay the $100 for the fork swap and he agreed. He said that for being so patient and for the fork swap, he would take $400 off. I saw the credit to my cc the next day. So my OTD price was $1999! Happy camper here. The bike was shipped with no issues, and I got it May 18th. It had been totally assembled and tuned (derailleur shifted perfectly and wheels are true) and re-packed into a Magnum bikes box that was big enough for it when assembled. I had to install the front wheel and the handlebar, but the grips/shifter/seatpost dropper/motor control were all adjusted already. Took about ten minutes to have it ready to ride. It was as well packaged as the R1Up bikes were that had not been inspected since they were boxed in China. Overall, buying from CL was an excellent experience for me. So far, the bike works flawlessly with one exception - the motor sometimes cuts out when I have a pedal strike or the rear suspension compresses in a dip in the trail. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all during a ride, sometimes 3 or 4 times over 15 miles. If I stop, power off then back on, it starts up like nothing happened. I did call Evan about it and he had a technician call me back the next day. The warranty is going to be difficult to take advantage of since BH left the USA. In the meantime, I am going to ride and enjoy the bike. Even without a motor I think it is a better bike than my Santa Cruz. I am not fretting about the warranty (I'd had my suspicions when buying it that a warranty was something that I might not get). I look at it this way - a comparable bike would run me $4500-5500 from a local store. Even if I have to replace a motor I am probably still better off than buying local. I've put about 280 miles on it in the two months I've owned it.

As to the original poster - if I'd only been saving $260 I would not have bought the bike from CL. Not criticizing you, but for that money I'd like to support, and get the support, of a local bike shop. But I felt I saved over $2000, so its a different value proposition for me than you. I think you will see that your bike is well set up and packed and chances are that the bike will work perfectly for years to come. Hopefully the person who disrespected you learns better customer service in the near future.

It's just interesting how the gatekeeper system works in the ebike world.

I suspect that mail order bikes have a pretty slim margin. Warranty work probably cancels out that margin and thus the VERY TIGHT gatekeeper mentality.

But the bottom line still remains, they treated me poorly and lost a customer. All they had to do was bill me for shipping and I would have been happy!
If they are unwilling to work with customers after the sale what's the point in buying from them?

Purchase is just the start of the relationship! It shouldn't be the end!

AND FYI, I emailed them, filled out the form and got ZERO response.

I do hope you realise I am 100% in agreement with your incredulity on how you were treated. It was and is horrible.

I had one serious problem with a bike from Lenny. A Sunday morning ride and early on I got an error code. Bike stopped functioning. I called the dealer and asked to speak to Lenny, told him the problem, he said sit tight he'd get back to me. That was all on Sunday.

On Monday Lenny had the lead tech of the manufacturer call me. Some give and take and assurance from me I could handle the repair once I had the part. This give and take took another day. On Wednesday morning he shipped a new controller from California to me in Pennsylvania. He also emailed me the shop repair manual for the bike.

I received the part on Saturday at 11 am and was riding again late Saturday afternoon.

It can work. I didn't go public with the story before I knew how it ended. If there's a problem with an employee it's best to tell the management before the internet. Give people a chance to make things right before telling the world and damaging the business. It can work.

and his exact words were "tough s*it, looks like you missed out on that. We need to make a separate order. Your salesperson only works Saturday, Sunday, and Monday."
Tough sh1t?? I can't imaging having someone say that to me after spending a big wad a money. I'm sure I would have gone off on the person. Congrats for keeping your composure.

I’m totally with you. I had my local guy give me a raft of crap two years ago when I showed up with a tire to fix on a Trek I bought at a different dealer for quite a bit less than his price. I admit I bought my ebike from him for future support reasons and so far he's done me right. That said, I have and will continue to use any other Trek dealer in my area if he doesn’t perform to my expectations.

I bought a Trek at a nearby dealer, and when the derailleur failed after a few months of use, they said they wouldn't cover it under warranty and that it was wear and tear! I had to argue with the guy for a while, and he finally put a new derailleur on. So, even buying name-brand local bike shop doesn't guarantee they are going to be there for you

I had one serious problem with a bike from Lenny. A Sunday morning ride and early on I got an error code. Bike stopped functioning. I called the dealer and asked to speak to Lenny, told him the problem, he said sit tight he'd get back to me. That was all on Sunday.

On Monday Lenny had the lead tech of the manufacturer call me. Some give and take and assurance from me I could handle the repair once I had the part. This give and take took another day. On Wednesday morning he shipped a new controller from California to me in Pennsylvania. He also emailed me the shop repair manual for the bike.

I received the part on Saturday at 11 am and was riding again late Saturday afternoon.

It can work. I didn't go public with the story before I knew how it ended. If there's a problem with an employee it's best to tell the management before the internet. Give people a chance to make things right before telling the world and damaging the business. It can work.
I'm glad you got it worked out for you.
Interesting how they were willing to send you parts and they would barely talk to me.
Maybe it's like most customer support experiences these days. Total crap shoot if you can get someone to help.

Well, I'm not going to belabor the point...I 'm chalking it up to experience.

I'm glad you got it worked out for you.
Interesting how they were willing to send you parts and they would barely talk to me.
Maybe it's like most customer support experiences these days. Total crap shoot if you can get someone to help.

Well, I'm not going to belabor the point...I 'm chalking it up to experience.
Not that you did this, I haven't followed your story. But I would say when people post every word to the world of what they are told really turns people off. It stunts open communication. If its private between a tech and a customer they might go the extra mile, they might be willing to do things beyond the fine print in the warranty. I was sent an electronic part, I can't imagine the manufacture normally would do that and I know the warranty doesn't allow that. Honest, calm give and take won the day. Initially they didn't want to send me the part. They wanted me to drive 275 miles to a service center they approved of. But I talked to the man. It can work.

I honestly quite like seeing everyone's different point of views on here. It's enlightening to see people from the dealer side of things, as well as others who are "regular" consumers/purchasers/enthusiasts. I think the most interesting (to me) is how vociferously some will circle the wagons, just to defend the very concept of dealers and their infallible nature.

My whole point in this post was to share my experience. It doesn't invalidate anyone else's positive experience, or reinforce anyone else's negative experience. So far, I've been called whiny, angsty, entitled, and more. I've been scolded for posting to the internet and told I didn't use my "deity given wisdom", among other things.

I'm a consumer who is new to this whole ebike industry, but I work in a Fortune 500 company. I deal with true marketing and customer service professionals at the top of their game on a daily basis, and it's fascinating how far back in the stone-age the whole "LBS" thing currently is. It's like all the negatives of a car dealership, with none of the positives.

Internet direct ebike companies definitely have their flaws, but they have made huge strides in customer service and marketing. However, many of the "best" and more name-brand bikes and motor systems can only be purchased through a dealer network. It just seems, to me, that there is a huge opportunity for disruption in this space. I wouldn't be surprised if the next 5 years bring some sweeping changes to the space.

As ruffruff said above, I'm just chalking this all up to a learning experience!

Last edited:
Don't worry too much, Witt--see what I did there? ;)--everyone likes to have an opinion on the Internet. I feel for you; I really do. I wouldn't want to experience what you are going through. I hope things work out for you in the end.

I honestly quite like seeing everyone's different point of views on here. It's enlightening to see people from the dealer side of things, as well as others who are "regular" consumers/purchasers/enthusiasts. I think the most interesting (to me) is how vociferously some will circle the wagons, just to defend the very concept of dealers and their infallible nature.

My whole point in this post was to share my experience. It doesn't invalidate anyone else's positive experience, or reinforce anyone else's negative experience. So far, I've been called whiny, angsty, entitled, and more. I've been scolded for posting to the internet, told I didn't use my "deity given wisdom", and others.

I'm a consumer who is new to this whole ebike industry, but I work in a Fortune 500 company. I deal with true marketing and customer service professionals at the top of their game on a daily basis, and it's fascinating how far back in the stone-age the whole "LBS" thing currently is. It's like all the negatives of a car dealership, with none of the positives.

Internet direct ebike companies definitely have their flaws, but they have made huge strides in customer service and marketing. However, many of the "best" and more name-brand bikes and motor systems can only be purchased through a dealer network. It just seems, to me, that there is a huge opportunity for disruption in this space. I wouldn't be surprised if the next 5 years bring some sweeping changes to the space.

As ruffruff said above, I'm just chalking this all up to a learning experience!
All you gotta do is look at all the bike companies listed under the Brands Forum..how in the world is that sustainable?
Just by sheer market forces I gotta believe 80-90% of them will be gone in 5 years.
The ones with good customer service will remain.

Just so happens we are are in the wild west days of Ebikes.

Saddle up and enjoy the ride!

Back