Bosch ebike connect recording unchanging altitude

Hello there...

Since around the end of January, any ride I have recorded in ebike connect shows an unchanging altitude, or sometimes changing by just 1 or 2 metres ( for eg 200m ascent). In case anyone else is puzzled by similar behaviour, it seems that it is because of an error in Google Services, specifically the FusedLocationProvider API. The same problem (unchanging altitude) shows up in other apps, eg Osmand and Maps.Me. However some apps work, eg Accurate Altitude, because they use a different google API (specifically the older LocationManager API) to get their altitude.

Apparently Google are hoping to release a fix around 7th March.

Cheers, John

This is interesting. I have the original Bosch Nyon display, and I am under the impression that Ebike Connect altitude isn't based on mapping services but instead uses the Nyon's GPS altitude or more likely, the Nyon has a barometric altimeter that is used in the Ebike Connect altitude tracking. The reason I think it is based on a barometric altimeter is that if I don't calibrate the correct elevation in the Nyon at a known spot before starting a ride, I still get elevation change reporting but the the actual altitude measure can vary widely even when riding the exact same track on different days. That makes me think the altitude measure is based on the atmospheric pressure (affected by weather conditions) rather than a map value.

I have the Kiox, so I believe it gets location/altitude data from the phone. If Nyon has altitude and location built in, I'm wonderring what does it need a phone app for?

Cheers, John

I've never owned a Bosch based e-bike and I have not used Nyon. Still, other users report that yes you can do it after paying a minor subscription fee.

I have the Kiox, so I believe it gets location/altitude data from the phone. If Nyon has altitude and location built in, I'm wonderring what does it need a phone app for?

Cheers, John
I am not familiar with the differences between the Kiox and the Nyon. The Nyon can operate without the app so it gets the location data independent of the phone. The Nyon syncs to the app to track activites, assist in setup and customization of the Nyon display, etc.

Back