BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

Hi everyone, I finally bought a BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City Two, size L. It's a beast :cool:
For those interested, I could easily fit a front child seat, the Thule Yepp Nexxt Mini. I had no issue putting the adapter after removing two of the three spacers. You lose some turning radius (like all front seats) but it's still really manageable. However, my daughter is almost 15 kgs, and I soon will need a rear seat - and the seat tube has only 7cm left above the battery, where I need 7,5 cm to 11 cm depending on the child seat brands... 😣
I've asked BMC and Tubus retailers which rear rack could replace the included Tubus Fly Evo, as it has only 18 kg of maximum load. I need 25 or more to load a child seat on it, but all the racks I find must be installed with two roundstays whereas the Fly Evo has only one. I guess I need some clever adapters...
See here https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/media/downloads/download/Alpenchallenge_AMP_Rack.pdf
I should buy something like this for replacement, which needs two roundstays : https://www.tubus.com/en/products/rear-carriers/tubus-product/vega-classic
I still don't how to replace one with the other... I've contacted my dealer, Tubus and BMC. I'll let you know if I succeed, and feel free to answer if you have an idea ! Thank you

I have the Tubus Cosmo rack on my hybrid... built with stainless steel to last a lifetime and will support 26 kg | 57.3 lbs (tested with 40 kg ) ;)

1599533604871.png

For those interested, I could easily fit a front child seat, the Thule Yepp Nexxt Mini. I had no issue putting the adapter after removing two of the three spacers. You lose some turning radius (like all front seats) but it's still really manageable.
Have you looked at Old Man Mountain Racks? They are in the States but ship overseas.

They make rear axle supported racks (70lbs/32 kg capacity) that will custom fit your bike.

Hello,

Thanks ! I found the specific SKU814 kit for BMC Alpenchallenge AMP : https://oldmanmountain.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/fitkit-parts-with-names-1.jpg
I don't know how this would fit my bike, unless I remove the mudguard (which I want to keep), as there is only one screw hole through the mudguard.

I may have to disassemble the rack and the mudguard to have a better look at the attachment points on the seat stays.

Price wise, Old Man Moutain doesn't come cheap, this would cost me almost 10% of the (pricey) bike...

I have the Tubus Cosmo rack on my hybrid... built with stainless steel to last a lifetime and will support 26 kg | 57.3 lbs (tested with 40 kg ) ;)

Have you fitted it on an Alpenchallenge ? Do you have mudguards on it ? If so, how did you attach it to the only screw hole through the mudguard (the rack needs two roundstays) ?

Have you fitted it on an Alpenchallenge ? Do you have mudguards on it ? If so, how did you attach it to the only screw hole through the mudguard (the rack needs two roundstays) ?

The OMM rack will come with a new thru axle which supports the rack and it will come with (Pucks) clamps that attach to either seat stay. Your mudguard/fenders stay as is

1599564297584.png

The OMM rack will come with a new thru axle which supports the rack and it will come with (Pucks) clamps that attach to either seat stay. Your mudguard/fenders stay as is

I see. It seems similar to this, which I fear would not hold very tightly (the seat stays are not fully round).
1599568360503.png

However, I found something very interesting that could work with minimal effort and cost, a 10 € seat post clamp replacement with rack attachments :
1599568472726.png

I will give it a try and let you know how that fits.

I have finally received the herkelmann wingee fenders today. Very easy to install. What do you think guys?

Dear gerardo.garcia, could you tell me which size your tires are? I just bought the Sport LTD and also want to buy the Wingee. I just don't know which tires will fit as I want to have some tires like Vittoria Terreno Dry or Schwalbe X-One Speed Performance. I'm considering 35 or even 38 mm width.

The tires on your pictures (the black ones) seem to be well suited for the Herkelmann Wingees. Maybe you can tell me the model of the tires as well.

Last edited:
Dear gerardo.garcia, could you tell me which size your tires are? I just bought the Sport LTD and also want to buy the Wingee. I just don't know which tires will fit as I want to have some tires like Vittoria Terreno Dry or Schwalbe X-One Speed Performance. I'm considering 35 or even 38 mm width.

The tires on your pictures (the black ones) seem to be well suited for the Herkelmann Wingees. Maybe you can tell me the model of the tires as well.

My bike originally came with 35mm. I changed them for the shwalbe marathon supreme evolution, those ones were 38 I do believe, those are the black ones that u mention.

Currently i have (theres a picture as well of them here with the tan sidewall), the WTB byway in size 40

my wingee is size 41 so this is the maximum i can put, but keep in mind there are even bigger versions for wider tyres.

But having in mind you have the sport version probably you are looking for the same wingee width size i have

My bike originally came with 35mm. I changed them for the shwalbe marathon supreme evolution, those ones were 38 I do believe, those are the black ones that u mention.

Currently i have (theres a picture as well of them here with the tan sidewall), the WTB byway in size 40

my wingee is size 41 so this is the maximum i can put, but keep in mind there are even bigger versions for wider tyres.

But having in mind you have the sport version probably you are looking for the same wingee width size i have

Oh, I didn't have the WTB byway on my radar. They seem to fit my needs very well. How do they feel compared to the marathon supreme or the stock tires? Do the byway fit well with the 40 (?) Wingee. Are you riding them tubeless?

I must say that I am very pleased with my Sport LTD.

For the Wingee, could you send me all the choices you took for the screws etc? I don't know what to order.
I think I will go the same route, taking the WTB Byway and the 40 Wingee.

Also, I mounted the recommended thru axle for my Thule Chariot Cross 1. On the old Axle it says 10NM. noon the Thule one 15-25NM. The manual says I should follow the product guide of the axle. But of course I don't want to destroy the bike.. so I guess 10 NM is the go to number?

And sorry for asking so many questions. I will try to contribute as well in the future, I'm just not there yet

I just don't know which tires will fit as I want to have some tires like Vittoria Terreno Dry or Schwalbe X-One Speed Performance. I'm considering 35 or even 38 mm width.

I have the Sport One and went with the Vittoria Terreno Mix 38. Give Vittoria some good consideration. They have very good tire technology and use multiple compounds in tread area and use Graphene in the rubber.

I love mine. Supple and robust at the same time.

I just fitted the WTB Byway and the Herkelmann Wingees. Doesn’t add to much weight, neither physically, nor optically.
It was quite a hassle to get the Wingees attached. But I’m quite happy after the first testride. And after all this is my go to bike for everything, driving around my son, visiting clients and doing sports.
The Byways leak a lot of air, so I need to try to find the weak spot first

E4A03DF4-59A0-4700-9F5D-E075D06BAB32.jpeg

47B06D34-4BCA-401F-A8EB-28C21D1323AF.jpeg

Attachments

• 6186FB84-01EC-45F9-9A49-940AD8E49C8B.jpeg
    6186FB84-01EC-45F9-9A49-940AD8E49C8B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 816
BTW, the Sport LTD is available in Germany from Linkradquadrat for 2999€.
Just be sure to check the bike after it arrives. This is what I discovered after changing the tires:

4C4F893B-58F2-43C7-8B6B-567EEB057FFE.jpeg

The tubes are the correct size, they’ve just been installed by an amateur.

I think that the bike was installed by BMC, the shop gave a checklist for checks they performed, but that doesn’t seem to include the tubes.

When I took delivery of my Vado SL, I bought a spare tube - the only one the shop had left in stock. That tube had the max tire size equal to the size of my tires at 38mm. When I changed my tires, the stock tubes were apparently sized to fit larger tires and perhaps 38mm was at the low end of the tubes' range. I found it really difficult to get the stock tube to seat nice and evenly inside the tire. And being the amateur I am, when I got the tires on and pumped up, I pinch-flatted one of them. Good thing I had the extra tube on hand. I took the tire back off and seated the new tube. It was a snap given the tube was going into a tire that was at the max end of its fit range. With a tiny bit of inflation, it laid perfectly inside the tire. I probably had the tire off and the replacement tube seated in a matter of minutes vs the stock tube where I had struggled for 15 mintues to get a good, even seat and then ultimately pinch-flatted it when I inflated the tire.

So note to self for ordering spare tubes: if there are tube choices with overlapping sizes, buy the smaller choice. It would also make it a lot easier to change a flat on the road with the tube that lays up in the tire nice and evenly.

Last edited:
I just fitted the WTB Byway and the Herkelmann Wingees. Doesn’t add to much weight, neither physically, nor optically.
It was quite a hassle to get the Wingees attached. But I’m quite happy after the first testride. And after all this is my go to bike for everything, driving around my son, visiting clients and doing sports.
The Byways leak a lot of air, so I need to try to find the weak spot first

View attachment 67227

View attachment 67228
I just noticed that electrical wire wrapped around the base of the seat tube going to the battery terminals. Why is it like that?

I wonder if any of the riders here have this?

I wonder if any of the riders here have this?

Had to go to the International site since can't see bike on USA site as of yet.

Nice: Carbon Gates belt drive and Nexus 5 IGH. Not so nice: I know it's not a CF frame, but it's still 10 lbs more than my Sport One.

Back