BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

Hi All, I'm new! I'd been planning to buy a Whyte Clifton but now spotted the BMC AMP alpenchallenge city 2 (2020, £2800 at Tredz). At 5'11", 180cm, I'd be a medium, maybe. Do any of you owners of any of the straight bar BMP AMPs find the handlebars very low? The whole range has the same frame geometry I think, including the drop bar bikes. In the press shots, the saddles all appear 6" higher than the handlebars, which my back couldn't cope with. But in your owner photos, it looks less marked. My ideal is bars and seat about same height. Maybe this BMC frame is too racy for my back?

Last edited:
Hi All, I'm new! I'd been planning to buy a Whyte Clifton but now spotted the BMC AMP alpenchallenge city 2 (2020, £2800 at Tredz). At 5'11", 180cm, I'd be a medium, maybe. Do any of you owners of any of the straight bar BMP AMPs find the handlebars very low? The whole range has the same frame geometry I think, including the drop bar bikes. In the press shots, the saddles all appear 6" higher than the handlebars, which my back couldn't cope with. But in your owner photos, it looks less marked. My ideal is bars and seat about same height. Maybe this BMC frame is too racy for my back?
Your height is at upper limit of medium. Size L is right for you. I'm 5'-9" and medium has my seat pretty level with stock bars. My riding position is definitely forward but still enough upright for long comfortable riding.

Your height is at upper limit of medium. Size L is right for you. I'm 5'-9" and medium has my seat pretty level with stock bars. My riding position is definitely forward but still enough upright for long comfortable riding.
Thanks BillH, appreciated. I sometimes think the size guides miss a trick in that they work by rider height, regardless of proportion - whereas, they could list the min/max bb-to-top-of-saddle height for each frame size and we could compare that with our current bikes.

Hi Forum,

I just wanted to thank all posters in this forum as this enabled my bike build. My distributor had no interest importing the road version into Australia so had to modify a Cross Ltd to a drop bar setup. My goal was to setup an allroad commuter with integrated lights. Setup is great, very nimble and smooth ride, works well on most terrain however struggles on loose gravel. Only issues thus far are some disc brake rub and seat post slips down despite being tightened to torque setting, hopefully these will be easy to sort.

Given the pandemic bike and parts took a long time to get to Australia but I'm happy with the end result.

Customisation involved:
As bike is di1, shifters used are Ultegra di2 levers.
Mudguards with integrated rear rack and Supernova tail light by Herkelmann Wingee W40
Front light: Exposure Fuse
Tyres Schwalbe G-One allround 35mm

Attachments

• Bike day.jpg
    Bike day.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 543
  • Bike night.jpg
    Bike night.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 464
I just wanted to add a picture of my new "BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Cross LTD" bike you mentioned above. I haven't prepared a review yet, but I can say, this bike is nothing I have ridden before. With its weight of 15kg its super light and the position of the battery supports a naturally "biking" riding feeling. The AMP Cross is kind of softtail with its MTT (micro) suspension you can spot at the beginning of the seatstays. Its all carbon frame gives me a well defined feeling on the bike.
Best of all (for me), this bike encourages you to pedal by yourself after the motor stops its support. The 25km/h limit here in Europe is not a hard cut-off feeling wise, I can go easily beyond and let the motor kick in on uphill sections to support my pedalling.

when I saw it end of June, I knew that I have to get one. I just love it... :-D

View attachment 25466
I like that battery design/placement. To me it looks at least as good as the monster down tubes necessary to 'conceal' a battery that everybody knows is there anyway.

as the monster down tubes necessary to 'conceal' a battery that everybody knows is there anyway.
For the tiny batteries used in the slow 25km7h categorie, every mounting place inside and outside theis possible.

But the 1kWh batteries, which are in use in the commuter bikes, will found place only in the downtube. Remember the flow-bike, where the battery was in the seat tube. Would you really want have it like this?

Greetings from Italy.
I am new and in the process of purchasing an eRoad.

I found it very interesting to read the posts of this forum because I clarified my ideas and found some excellent observations.

The purchase I have to make concerns a BMC AMP Sport Three 2021 with Shimano Steps E6100 engine or a Polini EP3 motorized Basso Volta.

For those unfamiliar with the Polini engine, I can tell you that it is also mounted on the Bianchi Impulso All Road but also on high-profile eMTBs.

I tried the Polini engine even if the test lasted a short time but I made a small but significant climb in time to understand the assistance logic.

I've never tried the Shimano Steps E6100 motor.

My most significant experience on eRoad is with a Pinallo Nytro with Fazua engine that provides equal torque to the Shimano ie 60 Nm. With the Nytro I did 180 km and 1800m + using only the ECO assistance uphill and never on other occasions. . But the bike is too heavy and has little autonomy with a 250Kw battery. I discarded it immediately.

The Polini instead has a power of about 75 Nm and five levels of assistance. It is good to say immediately that the first three levels are mainly used because the engine power is absolutely exaggerated.

My choice, even if I haven't tried the BMC, is for this type of bicycle which is not very common in Italy. I always talk about BMC eRoads because the muscular models are very much appreciated by Italian cyclists.

The use I will make of it will be mainly hilly and not in the plains. I live in a part of north-eastern Italy and I am a few kilometers away from the Dolomites and Alpine passes such as the Gavia Mortirolo rather than the Stelvio.

I also have a muscle bike that I keep and use regularly. It is a Pinarello F10 of Pete Kennaugh's Team Sky when the London 2012 Olympic champion was racing for Team Sky.

From what I have read and from what I have documented the BMC has an excellent weight / power ratio. You can use it even without assistance safely. It is light enough to be a mid-engined eRoad. It can be assumed that in exits of 100 120 km you can also do 50 60 km without assistance and if the slopes are not so important as to require the use of the engine. But as already written the battery life is linked to many factors that it is not possible to establish a rule for all situations.

The BMC is of excellent quality and finish. The components are dignified without looking for the top of the range version.

The question I ask is whether according to those who own this model of BMC it is possible to make a "fairly extreme" use for asphalted mountain roads. For example, is it conceivable to do laps of 140 150 km with an elevation gain of 2500m +?

I apologize if I have written a lot and I apologize for my translated English.

Thanks to all for those who read me and answer me. Franco

Greetings from Italy.
I am new and in the process of purchasing an eRoad.

I found it very interesting to read the posts of this forum because I clarified my ideas and found some excellent observations.

The purchase I have to make concerns a BMC AMP Sport Three 2021 with Shimano Steps E6100 engine or a Polini EP3 motorized Basso Volta.

For those unfamiliar with the Polini engine, I can tell you that it is also mounted on the Bianchi Impulso All Road but also on high-profile eMTBs.

I tried the Polini engine even if the test lasted a short time but I made a small but significant climb in time to understand the assistance logic.

I've never tried the Shimano Steps E6100 motor.

My most significant experience on eRoad is with a Pinallo Nytro with Fazua engine that provides equal torque to the Shimano ie 60 Nm. With the Nytro I did 180 km and 1800m + using only the ECO assistance uphill and never on other occasions. . But the bike is too heavy and has little autonomy with a 250Kw battery. I discarded it immediately.

The Polini instead has a power of about 75 Nm and five levels of assistance. It is good to say immediately that the first three levels are mainly used because the engine power is absolutely exaggerated.

My choice, even if I haven't tried the BMC, is for this type of bicycle which is not very common in Italy. I always talk about BMC eRoads because the muscular models are very much appreciated by Italian cyclists.

The use I will make of it will be mainly hilly and not in the plains. I live in a part of north-eastern Italy and I am a few kilometers away from the Dolomites and Alpine passes such as the Gavia Mortirolo rather than the Stelvio.

I also have a muscle bike that I keep and use regularly. It is a Pinarello F10 of Pete Kennaugh's Team Sky when the London 2012 Olympic champion was racing for Team Sky.

From what I have read and from what I have documented the BMC has an excellent weight / power ratio. You can use it even without assistance safely. It is light enough to be a mid-engined eRoad. It can be assumed that in exits of 100 120 km you can also do 50 60 km without assistance and if the slopes are not so important as to require the use of the engine. But as already written the battery life is linked to many factors that it is not possible to establish a rule for all situations.

The BMC is of excellent quality and finish. The components are dignified without looking for the top of the range version.

The question I ask is whether according to those who own this model of BMC it is possible to make a "fairly extreme" use for asphalted mountain roads. For example, is it conceivable to do laps of 140 150 km with an elevation gain of 2500m +?

I apologize if I have written a lot and I apologize for my translated English.

Thanks to all for those who read me and answer me. Franco
Hi :) 140km with 2500m up, I'd say thats too much. Perhaps with eco mode I'd say 100km 500m up, but this is a guess and it depends heavily on your weight. So I'm on the heavy side and can make 60km, 400m up with trail mode, that is middle mode before boost. I think for a 0.5kWh battery, you can climp up 1000m, with perhaps 80kg weight. But 2500m up and 140, I think that is not possible.

I see. It seems similar to this, which I fear would not hold very tightly (the seat stays are not fully round).
View attachment 64804

However, I found something very interesting that could work with minimal effort and cost, a 10 € seat post clamp replacement with rack attachments :
View attachment 64805

I will give it a try and let you know how that fits.
did you manage to fix the child seat?

you are in Eu. Check out this sexy badass ! Much higher capacity battery then BMC. 720wh vs 500wh.
I don't speak Spanish, so could you please check, if I'm right?
  • You BH bike has an integrated 540Wgh battery which cannot be removed
  • You have the option to add a external 180 Wh battery (like a drinking bottle)

I don't speak Spanish, so could you please check, if I'm right?
  • You BH bike has an integrated 540Wgh battery which cannot be removed
  • You have the option to add a external 180 Wh battery (like a drinking bottle)

I am still new to this ebike , I'm trying to find out what charger it has and if that 540 wh battery is removable ; usually they're all removable on the Bh ebikes(i own 2Bh's) .

Yes 180wh magnetic bottle !
Also I want to find out what max. speed has and how to delimite the top speed.

Is by far the most technologically advanced e road bike as of right now. Much better than BMC , better than Trek , better than specialized creo.

At the bottom of the website has the option to change the language:

Last edited:
check, if I'm right?

I did further research and you are right on both of those ! But probably the battery can be taken out in case of shipping the ebike by air , in that case the motor has to be taken out first (That's my understanding from seeing the better pictures)

It will be released January 21st/2021 . A very well rounded and tech .advanced temptation .

Lots more info here:

[https://translate.googleusercontent...3/amp/&usg=ALkJrhh3L_hi9vc-F5AUcg05_bepPk2opw

you are in Eu. Check out this sexy badass ! Much higher capacity battery then BMC. 720wh vs 500wh.

Beautiful bike indeed. The main battery range is up to over 100 miles. Pretty amazing. The proprietary BH motor at only 4.8 lbs is also pretty amazing but a quick search comes up with very little info. on it. That in itself would cause me pause to purchase to be honest. That being said, I'd still love to take it for a ride.

BH Core.jpg

I did further research and you are right on both of those ! But probably the battery can be taken out in case of shipping the ebike by air , in that case the motor has to be taken out first (That's my understanding from seeing the better pictures)

https://translate.googleusercontent...3/amp/&usg=ALkJrhh3L_hi9vc-F5AUcg05_bepPk2opw

I presume the same (screws might be under seal for warranty reasons).

Orbea, another spanish brand, did the the same with its lightweight eMTB Rise. As mentioned in the article you cited, this is to save weight. The other, much more important point is the motor resistance above 25km/h. A road race bike pace will be always above 25km/h on the flat. With other words: Range is unlimited! I see the concept of these bikes in supporting the rider on (steep) uphill (only). Imagine, 540Wh for 165km = 3.3Wh/km, this means, the motor support is almost unnoticeable. It would be more helpful to say: Galibier and Alpe d'Huez are possible.

But in the US, the motor support might be 32 km/h or even up to 45 km/h depending on the law. This will have effect on the range, as then the ride is often with motor support.

But in the US, the motor support might be 32 km/h or even up to 45 km/h depending on the law. This will have effect on the range, as then the ride is often with motor support.

Yes , but with adding the extra bottle battery it will be 720whrs. and remember the weight for this ebike is only 24 pounds ! Maybe 25 with th bottles.
But that is assuming that it can be the limited for the US , I am looking for that option.
The Trek for example is much heavier ,it does 45 km/hr and then the Specialized Creo has a smaller battery only a 380 or 340wh down tube and the bottle battery.

Back