BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

I’ve always found this bike intriguing, so when the chance to buy a factory demo Sport One with full warranty for close to 40% off I pulled the trigger. I got a medium that had 154 miles on it.

After the first ride I knew right away that the tires had to go. Rolled fast, but you felt every pavement crack and the ride was too jarring for my approaching 60 yrs bones. Replaced the stock Vittoria road tire with a set of Vittoria Terreno Mix at 38mm. Set them up tubeless and run the back at 48psi and front at 42psi. What a difference the added volume made. Still roll fast.

The first ride also told me I wasn’t going to be ok with the Class 1 speed so I installed the Speedbox 1. Simpler than I thought to install in motor, and even though the speed on the display is mostly meaningless after 19 mph (it displays ½ speed up to 19mph), the result is unbelievable. This bike just fly’s. I don’t have the strongest legs to begin with, but even I could easily keep a pace of 25mph on the flats and I got it up to 32mph pedaling hard on the flats, but was actually pushing into a good headwind. Kinda thought assist would have kicked out at 28 mph, but it didn’t seem to.

I look forward to riding this bike. That much fun. Battery seems to last forever and it’s surprisingly comfortable to ride for extended lengths.

BMC.jpg

when the chance to buy a factory demo Sport One with
Can you name the store that sold it ? The shimano e8000 is an excellent motor, delimiting it , the ebike gets up to 33-34mph as you had experienced😉.
This or the Amp road are the best ebikes as of right now !!
Very light, great range and 30-32moh in delimit mode. And Swiss reputation !

Can you name the store that sold it ? The shimano e8000 is an excellent motor, delimiting it , the ebike gets up to 33-34mph as you had experienced😉.
This or the Amp road are the best ebikes as of right now !!
Very light, great range and 30-32moh in delimit mode. And Swiss reputation !

Crazy Lennys. They had gotten 5 factory demos in various sizes and sold out quick.

I agree about the weight. Amazing at 34 lbs motor and battery included.

Good grab at CL Bill! Delimeter and you are good to go! 34lbs on any E-bike with the E-8000 sounds like the best setup IMO! :p

My model, Sport One, has the Steps e6100 motor. Only the LTD in the Sport, City and Cross get the e8000. 10Nm torque difference, 70 vs 60. Same small form factor for most part and the 6100 is actually the quieter of the two. Since I won't be conquering any major hills on this bike it's of little concern for me yet at the same time I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be happy if it came with the e8000 stock.

My model, Sport One, has the Steps e6100 motor. Only the LTD in the Sport, City and Cross get the e8000. 10Nm torque difference, 70 vs 60. Same small form factor for most part and the 6100 is actually the quieter of the two. Since I won't be conquering any major hills on this bike it's of little concern for me yet at the same time I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be happy if it came with the e8000 stock.
Oops Bill, my bad, I should have got my facts straight. I agree with you on all counts concerning the motors. When they first came out, I was a big fan. This bike looks like a lot of fun to ride, Were you perhaps considering a ShockStop Suspension Stem for vibration dampening, or is it not needed IYO?
Again, nice pick on a great bike at a great price! A big fan of Lenny's bikes. ;)

Oops Bill, my bad, I should have got my facts straight. I agree with you on all counts concerning the motors. When they first came out, I was a big fan. This bike looks like a lot of fun to ride, Were you perhaps considering a ShockStop Suspension Stem for vibration dampening, or is it not needed IYO?
Again, nice pick on a great bike at a great price! A big fan of Lenny's bikes. ;)

If you would have asked me about the suspension stem before I changed out the tires that came stock with the Sport I would have said a definite 'yes', but with the somewhat larger volume tires and even more so running less psi, it's more than tolerable, to my surprise I might add. So other than going over paved over tree roots and such, not so bad at all. You got me thinking though 😁

After a little research on the Shockstop the only conclusion I could reach is that it's a no-brainer. Ordered the +/- 6 in 100mm....same length as current stem. Thanks @bob armani .
That's great! Looks like an all around great product based on many reviews. I have also seen handlebar kits that are made of materials that absorb shock and vibration. Hope you get great results from your new purchase.

That's great! Looks like an all around great product based on many reviews. I have also seen handlebar kits that are made of materials that absorb shock and vibration. Hope you get great results from your new purchase.

Ended up going with the 90 mm size since that gave me the slight elbow bend I wanted and just tad less forward position. It works as advertised and I get now why the reviews I read were pretty glowing.

This bike is a blast to ride and meant to be able to be ridden at 20+ mph.

BMC Bike Stem.jpg

Last edited:
Ended up going with the 90 mm size since that gave me the slight elbow bend I wanted and just tad less forward position. It works as advertised and I get now why the reviews I read were pretty glowing.

This bike is a blast to ride and meant to be able to be ridden at 20+ mph.

View attachment 62409
Looks awesome and comfort is key. Happy for you this is a useful add-on. I see you have Garmin on your bike with an additional mount. I have the same setup. The Garmin305 watch with handlebar mount and the Garmin Edge 800 which I recently purchased. Currently my favorite accessories.

I highly recommend a speed delimiter if you want to go over 20mph. After 1 year of my E-bike ownership I put one on and I like the idea of having the extra speed when I need it. I can easily do 30mph in a higher assist for a burst of speed. Something to think about IMO. Always ride safe. Cheers!

Looks awesome and comfort is key. Happy for you this is a useful add-on. I see you have Garmin on your bike with an additional mount. I have the same setup. The Garmin305 watch with handlebar mount and the Garmin Edge 800 which I recently purchased. Currently my favorite accessories.

I highly recommend a speed delimiter if you want to go over 20mph. After 1 year of my E-bike ownership I put one on and I like the idea of having the extra speed when I need it. I can easily do 30mph in a higher assist for a burst of speed. Something to think about IMO. Always ride safe. Cheers!

Fenix 5 Plus. I use it with the Garmin Connect phone app and it covers all the bases for me. My photo did prompt me to give it a cleaning 😁

I installed the Speedbox 1.0 pretty much from the get go. I can and do cruise at 25 mph easily on the flats. Ride on!

Fenix 5 Plus. I use it with the Garmin Connect phone app and it covers all the bases for me. My photo did prompt me to give it a cleaning 😁

I installed the Speedbox 1.0 pretty much from the get go. I can and do cruise at 25 mph easily on the flats. Ride on!
Awesome Bill. 25mph on a lightweight E-bike like you have must be something to appreciate. I see a lot of positive reviews for Speedbox devices. I think you have the ultimate setup. Would be interesting to see how the E-8000 motor performs on one of the other BMC models with a Speedbox delimiter.
🤔 o_O

Would be interesting to see how the E-8000 motor performs on one of the other BMC models with a Speedbox delimiter.
🤔 o_O

Obviously no change in top speed but I have an eMTB with the Brose S motor with 90 Nm torque so well aware of difference in how each feels. Quite obvious between the two despite the 20 lbs more my eMTB weighs than the BMC, but with the BMC weighing in at 34 lbs the 6100 motor is more than suffice for the riding conditions this bike sees.

Obviously no change in top speed but I have an eMTB with the Brose S motor with 90 Nm torque so well aware of difference in how each feels. Quite obvious between the two despite the 20 lbs more my eMTB weighs than the BMC, but with the BMC weighing in at 34 lbs the 6100 motor is more than suffice for the riding conditions this bike sees.
Good point! Makes total sense. I currently use the delimiter on my 80nm Yamaha motor, and it has quite a bit of kick to it. I really do not need to use the "highest" assist level to get the power needed. Any kind of delimiter on a 34lb E-bike must be a completely different experience off the line. A big fan of the combo though! ;)

Last edited:
On a Haibike if I remember right, correct? Badassbox 4?
Yes, 2018 Haibike 10.0 Sduro Full Seven. BadAss box which is clip on/off. It has a small 3V battery, however, no issues with that thus far. The top end components handle the speed quite well and is very solid on hard pavement as well as gravel trails. The Nobby Nic tires that came stock were well fitted for the bike platform. CL hooked me up with this bike with no regrets. Riding with the added speed box has brought it to an even higher level.
(OHC) One Happy Customer! :p 👍

Hi everyone,

I finally bought a BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City Two, size L. It's a beast :cool:

For those interested, I could easily fit a front child seat, the Thule Yepp Nexxt Mini. I had no issue putting the adapter after removing two of the three spacers. You lose some turning radius (like all front seats) but it's still really manageable.

However, my daughter is almost 15 kgs, and I soon will need a rear seat - and the seat tube has only 7cm left above the battery, where I need 7,5 cm to 11 cm depending on the child seat brands... 😣

I've asked BMC and Tubus retailers which rear rack could replace the included Tubus Fly Evo, as it has only 18 kg of maximum load. I need 25 or more to load a child seat on it, but all the racks I find must be installed with two roundstays whereas the Fly Evo has only one. I guess I need some clever adapters...
See here https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/media/downloads/download/Alpenchallenge_AMP_Rack.pdf

I should buy something like this for replacement, which needs two roundstays : https://www.tubus.com/en/products/rear-carriers/tubus-product/vega-classic

I still don't how to replace one with the other... I've contacted my dealer, Tubus and BMC. I'll let you know if I succeed, and feel free to anwser if you have an idea ! Thank you

I've asked BMC and Tubus retailers which rear rack could replace the included Tubus Fly Evo, as it has only 18 kg of maximum load. I need 25 or more to load a child seat on it, but all the racks I find must be installed with two roundstays whereas the Fly Evo has only one. I guess I need some clever adapters...
See here https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/media/downloads/download/Alpenchallenge_AMP_Rack.pdf

I should buy something like this for replacement, which needs two roundstays : https://www.tubus.com/en/products/rear-carriers/tubus-product/vega-classic

I still don't how to replace one with the other... I've contacted my dealer, Tubus and BMC. I'll let you know if I succeed, and feel free to anwser if you have an idea ! Thank you

Have you looked at Old Man Mountain Racks? They are in the States but ship overseas.

They make rear axle supported racks (70lbs/32 kg capacity) that will custom fit your bike.

Back