Black Fork Stanchions vs Chrome Fork Stanchions?

Does anyone know the actual reason an E-bike company would switch from their advertised chrome fork stanchions to black fork stanchions? Any thoughts on one being better or worse?
I'm thinking it might be a cost thing. I would think blacks fork stanchions would cost less to mass produce.
I have never seen a motorcycle manufacturer use a black fork stanchion.

Thank you.

Chrome is hazardous, makes for toxic waste, but looks nice. The bike does not care about the color of the stanchions.

Attachments

• DSCF7241.JPG
    DSCF7241.JPG
    554 KB · Views: 222
Are we talking front suspension forks? On the higher end Rock Shox and Fox forks, that black or gold stanchion tube coating is a friction reducer, to allow the tubes to travel up and down in the lower cylinder with the least amount of "stiction" possible. On these forks, it's important to keep the stanchions clean after every ride, as well as removing accumulated dust and dirt from the wiper seal on top of the lower shock tube. Do not grease or oil them. And you don't really want to damage the coating.

As far as the lower tier quality suspension forks goes, your guess as to what the stanchion tubes are coated or plated with, is as good as mine. You takes your chances with that stuff.

Does anyone know the actual reason an E-bike company would switch from their advertised chrome fork stanchions to black fork stanchions? Any thoughts on one being better or worse?
I'm thinking it might be a cost thing. I would think blacks fork stanchions would cost less to mass produce.
I have never seen a motorcycle manufacturer use a black fork stanchion.

Thank you.
More than likely the chrome is not chrome but nickel. The colour of the coating is probably a cost issue. Nickel costs more than black anodizing. Friction coatings can be applied to any possible colour.

Good chrome is expensive and often subject to surface rust. There's also the issue of applying chrome to alum. To my understanding, it's pretty difficult. Hard anodizing (as in black forks) works a pretty good, and is likely a much lighter substitute.

Back