Bike work stand

No stand here, I use a couple of rope ratchets hanging in the carport. I can lift the bike to any desired height & swing it this way or that to get at things. My chair & tool kit are on casters.

" Never do anything standing you can do sitting. Never do anything sitting you can do lying down.
Never do anything lying down you can do while asleep" Henry Ford

Last edited:
I had a hydraulic lift for my Vespa scooter. I wish I'd kept it now!. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Just went to a local one-man bike shop for a repair. The shop owner/tech is 40+ years in this business, and has had a Park Tools 10 stand for ten years. He just fixed my son's Pedego Interceptor (back tire flat) using that stand.
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 1.05.01 PM.png

I have a PCS10 on my wishlist for my birthday -- doubt anyone in the family will splurge for it, so I'll likely get it myself -- mainly I want a stand for making chain lube/clean work easier. (I'm not at a point where I'm likely to do, or know how to do more serious/involved bike maintenance at home.) Today, I take the bike to a park, turn it upside down on saddle & handlebars, and do the chain work that way -- not ideal, but it more or less works...
Makes me wish I had a garage of my own -- If/when I get the stand, I'll be doing the chain work out on my balcony as the only reasonable amount of wide clear floor space I have at my condo.

I have a PCS10 on my wishlist for my birthday -- doubt anyone in the family will splurge for it, so I'll likely get it myself -- mainly I want a stand for making chain lube/clean work easier. (I'm not at a point where I'm likely to do, or know how to do more serious/involved bike maintenance at home.) Today, I take the bike to a park, turn it upside down on saddle & handlebars, and do the chain work that way -- not ideal, but it more or less works...
Makes me wish I had a garage of my own -- If/when I get the stand, I'll be doing the chain work out on my balcony as the only reasonable amount of wide clear floor space I have at my condo.
I think you'll be surprised at what you can and will do. I took my PCS 10 stand, a few tools, brushes, grease and chain lube to a friends house last week to tune his new-used bike. He thought bikes required a lot of knowledge to work on. He has a really nice $1k Trek mtb (non-e). He was surprised how simple all the tuning and adjustments were. We did everything in the driveway.

If your working on your balcony, get some puppy pads at Walmart to protect surfaces. They work great absorbing degreaser and any chain lube that makes it to the ground. I use them in the garage. I also keep a bag of kitty litter around, mostly for auto and MC work. It's the same product as oil dry shops use. Very absorbent for brake fluid and bigger spills.

I have the Aldi Bike Mate which I found to be very stable due to the tripod system and to avoid any tipping while doing adjustments etc. Found it on the clearance rack thinking it would only last a short time. So far it is working fine. I have also considered a Park, however, the post with the pulley system in the garage sounds like the perfect setup for assisting with the clamping part.

1198851d1526761084-bikemate-bike-stand-%40-aldi-%2429-99-20180519_155417.jpg

I am super impressed with the pulley system, too. I think that innovation is coming to my garage!

If your working on your balcony, get some puppy pads at Walmart to protect surfaces. They work great absorbing degreaser and any chain lube that makes it to the ground. I use them in the garage.

Great tip; thanks... beats newspaper on the balcony, blowing around!

I saw a picture of a manufacturing plant that had the e-bikes upside down with a pipe in the seat post sleeve... I am building that on a low platform for stability... This will be easier to true wheels, lube chain and service brakes... The rest can be done while bike is upright... I also have a "Ultimate" bike stand but the e-bike is a bit heavy and cumbersome to load on to the stand.

I like my PCS10 and I'd buy another, but as I become increasingly less able it's difficult to load and raise a 60lb eBike alone.

Thomas J., did you see the idea of using a bike lift that installs on the ceiling of the garage? Looks like a great idea!

I'm another fan of the Park PCS-10. I use it to service my conventional bikes and both my 62 lb Pedego Platinum Interceptors. I handle the extra weight by lifting only the front end of the bike. I apply the stand clamp to the bike down tube with the rear wheel, and most of the weight, still on the ground. I then loosen the stand pivot clamp and swing the bike to horizontal. This leaves the bike 8 - 12 inches off the floor which is comfortable for most work while sitting on a stool.

To get more height, I hold the bike against my body with one hand while loosening the riser clamp on the stand. With a little effort, I can raise the bike enough to swing it vertical or completely inverted. If you want to raise the bike so the axles are at standing eye level, you're on your own.

IMO, the PCS-10 handles a 62 lb bike adequately but some caution is necessary to avoid an upset.

...Park PCS-10. ...I handle the extra weight by lifting only the front end of the bike. I apply the stand clamp to the bike down tube with the rear wheel, and most of the weight, still on the ground. I then loosen the stand pivot clamp and swing the bike to horizontal.

AWESOME idea!

i wrote a thread about the bike stands and not lifting 65lb ebikes a while ago

had a pc10 but sold it, wrecks my back lifting these things onto it

there really should be a way to do this with hydraulics, going to do a search on that vespa stand

i bought some stuff to do some welding and build one that would go into the 2 inch reciever on my trucks, and then use a jack to lift it
have the outline in my head but then ended up buying a toy hauler and would take more modification for that

planning to sell this toy hauler and buy/build a different one
saw one today with a square tube metal frame that goes up the sides and across the roof for lifting the beds, bet i could add a bike lift onto that

but the other day in the bike store was asking them about chain cleaning stuff and we got onto this conversation of lifting the ebikes

he brought out a freedback sports stand and we were able to roll the rover into the clamp and then i can slide up the top part and clamp relatively easy
not great but think the 3 legs worked better than the pc10 for me

havent used it any yet, so we will see this week

either way will build something that lifts or uses a jack to lift the bikes, just got pushed down the list

i dont have a garage, plus the bikes are with me 90% of the time and we are travelling

if i finally get some time to put something together i will post pics

hopefully this stand will work for a while

the e-bike is a bit heavy and cumbersome to load on to the stand.
I'm another fan of the Park PCS-10. I use it to service my conventional bikes and both my 62 lb Pedego Platinum Interceptors. I handle the extra weight by lifting only the front end of the bike. I apply the stand clamp to the bike down tube with the rear wheel, and most of the weight, still on the ground. I then loosen the stand pivot clamp and swing the bike to horizontal. This leaves the bike 8 - 12 inches off the floor which is comfortable for most work while sitting on a stool.

To get more height, I hold the bike against my body with one hand while loosening the riser clamp on the stand. With a little effort, I can raise the bike enough to swing it vertical or completely inverted. If you want to raise the bike so the axles are at standing eye level, you're on your own.

IMO, the PCS-10 handles a 62 lb bike adequately but some caution is necessary to avoid an upset.

Any chance you could post a picture of the bike on the stand with the rear wheel still on the ground and then raised? Thanks.

Back