Bike work stand

Why make so much work out of it : ??? I don't get why you'd need hydraulics for 60lbs

Twenty years ago, I would have said the same thing. You have to realize that many of us here have trouble lifting 60# due to age / health issues. Also, it isn't just a matter of lifting the bike up onto most bike stands. You have to hold it in position with one hand while the clamp is attached. It isn't as simple as it sounds.

To get a bike up onto my Park PCS 10 work stand, I lift the lighter front end of the bike and set the front wheel on a milk crate. I then attach the clamp, remove the crate and pivot the bike up off the floor. This way, much less lifting effort is required.

Twenty years ago, I would have said the same thing. You have to realize that many of us here have trouble lifting 60# due to age / health issues. Also, it isn't just a matter of lifting the bike up onto most bike stands. You have to hold it in position with one hand while the clamp is attached. It isn't as simple as it sounds.

To get a bike up onto my Park PCS 10 work stand, I lift the lighter front end of the bike and set the front wheel on a milk crate. I then attach the clamp, remove the crate and pivot the bike up off the floor. This way, much less lifting effort is required.
Like I said I use a Cheap Seat post with a 1/2 x5 inch piece of wood . I bored a hole in that . I have teh Park Tool PRS-4 . I am 64 I can lift a bike up and set it on teh wood and then clamp it > What you describe is how I was doing it before :

Hi Guys,

Personally working in a ebike shop I'm not a fan of the PCS 10 due to the round tubing used. Typically I have found that this stand caused the bike to move around. Keep in mind I am always moving the bikes up and down and flipping them when working on them so I am constanntly adjusting it.

Traditional lighter bikes are OK but I find that the heavier ebikes really need to have a portable stand that uses tapered tubes like the PRS-25 and I am sure there are other brands out there that have a similar design out there. These tubes will help keep the bikes a little more stable when on the stand. Especially useful when torquing something down. It makes life a lot easier and your bike will stay put. When we do events I always take the PRS-25 with me.

Always look for a stand with legs that extend out as far as possible (yeah this can get in the way on occasions), but it will keep the bike from tipping over if the stand is extended or is flipped upside down. Example when you take the rear wheel off the Pedego Ridge Rider.

Hope this helps,

Will
shop.scooteretti.com
How about the new version PCS 10-2. The tube on this is not round so it prevents the bike from turning.
I like the fact that it is foldable. Not sure how steady is for my 55lb Specialized Vado.
what do you think?

How about the new version PCS 10-2. The tube on this is not round so it prevents the bike from turning.
I like the fact that it is foldable. Not sure how steady is for my 55lb Specialized Vado.
what do you think?
I like Park Tool a lot. I own the original PCS 10, great stand. I was disappointed they changed it. I posted a comparison here:

I like Park Tool a lot. I own the original PCS 10, great stand. I was disappointed they changed it. I posted a comparison here:

Thanks for great info. How about the fact that they have improved and have a teardrop shape tube so the bike does not turn. I see that this was one of your complains.

Last edited:
Thanks for great info. How about the fact that they have improved and have a oval shape tube so the bike does not turn. I see that this was one of your complains.
I'm sure the redesigned PCS stands are good. The way the old design worked it was literally impossible to fold up while in use. I am sure the old was far more expensive to manufacture due to the heavy gauge steel bracket and welding involved. Yes, in the original the bike can spin a little, a few degrees. I've never found it an issue. One thing I do like is I can rotate the bike a full 360° in order to get the area of work at eye level without fear of it folding.

Any stand you'll want to be careful. Make sure all hardware is in good working order and tight. You won't regret having a stand. If only for cleaning, lubrication and adjustments. One thing I didn't consider when I bought my stand is the handlebar holder to keep the bars and wheel from moving. First time I put the bike in the stand, I ordered the holder. It's a necessary "accessory" that really should be part of the stand.

I'm sure the redesigned PCS stands are good. The way the old design worked it was literally impossible to fold up while in use. I am sure the old was far more expensive to manufacture due to the heavy gauge steel bracket and welding involved. Yes, in the original the bike can spin a little, a few degrees. I've never found it an issue. One thing I do like is I can rotate the bike a full 360° in order to get the area of work at eye level without fear of it folding.

Any stand you'll want to be careful. Make sure all hardware is in good working order and tight. You won't regret having a stand. If only for cleaning, lubrication and adjustments. One thing I didn't consider when I bought my stand is the handlebar holder to keep the bars and wheel from moving. First time I put the bike in the stand, I ordered the holder. It's a necessary "accessory" that really should be part of the stand.
I already ordered and received the handlebar holder HBH-2. It works great except my top tube on my Vado 5.0 is so thick it doesn’t seat well (has a little gap). I thought I could open the angle a bit by hand but it is hard material.

what do you think?
How about PRS-25? Please provide your opinion. Aluminum, 100lb capacity, weights 13lb, easy fold, and twice the price.

My Park Tool PCS 4-2 with tool tray and towel rack is available for local pickup in Bellingham, WA. Less than a year old at 50% of new.
20200301_093316.jpg

I spoke to Park Tool about this a few months ago and they recommended to me their entry level shop stand, the PRS 3-2.2, for eBikes.

For a cheaper, home stand option, the PCS 10.2 is recommended over all of their other home stands for an eBike.

They said the tripod design of the PCS 10.2 is more stable than the leg design of the PCS 4-2.

I think whoever you spoke to at Park got their numbers switched. Must have been a Friday afternoon.

Check out this video from Park Tools comparing their various portable/home repair stands.

Park Tool clearly states that the PCS 4-2 is the most stable of the group of four being described.

• The PCS-4 has the same clamp used in our heavy duty shop stands and a new leg stabilizing system that creates a rock-solid base to resist tipping.
  • Perfect for heavier duty home use or light duty shop use.

IF you have a shop or garage this is a very inexpensive way to lift your bike off the floor to work on it. I just used it for the first time today to clean and oil my chain and it worked great. It's designed for storing a bike but it's an inexpensive way to work on one too without having yet another work stand in your shop to be in your way. Costs about $25 on Amazon and is rated for 100 lbs.
DSCF4145.JPG

While most of my e-bikes are around 65 lbs, its a pain to lift them to my bike stand. The Radwagon is the one that is hard to work on weighing in at over 100 lbs with both motors.

Now, I use a JEGS aluminum 3 ton hydraulic jack and a ordinary G3 bike stand to lift my dual motor Radwagon. The jack lifts the bike and I can bring the stand over with one hand and clamp the seat post. Once its locked in, the bike doesn't move at all. Its good for removing the rear tire for cleaning or when I need to true my wheel. The jack is probably overkill, but it makes lifting the bike a piece of cake.

View attachment 25263
Ool
The jack weightJks about 58 lbs so its pretty light.
[/QUhgnlOTE]

IF you have a shop or garage this is a very inexpensive way to lift your bike off the floor to work on it. I just used it for the first time today to clean and oil my chain and it worked great. It's designed for storing a bike but it's an inexpensive way to work on one too without having yet another work stand in your shop to be in your way. Costs about $25 on Amazon and is rated for 100 lbs.View attachment 52670

Nice bike lift... here is another version that includes an integrated mounting track. ;)

1591602542907.png

That would definitely work as a lift for storage but working on a bike that is just hanging does not give you much leverage when you are loosening tight bolts or torquing them back down. It would require one hand to hold the bike still, leaving only one hand to do the work, at least for those of us who have only two hands.

That would definitely work as a lift for storage but working on a bike that is just hanging does not give you much leverage when you are loosening tight bolts or torquing them back down. It would require one hand to hold the bike still, leaving only one hand to do the work, at least for those of us who have only two hands.
For some tasks, a hoist would be OK, like pulling a wheel or changing brake pads. For others, esp when you need to rotate the bike or apply some higher torques, a fixed work stand is the way to go.

Back