Bike stand(s) for heavy e-bike

Elkman

My current e-bike is both heavy at 70 lbs and its weight is not evenly distributed with the battery mounted inside the downtube of the bike frame. No single stand is going to work so I need something to support the front half of the bike off the ground while using my Park Tools stand for the rear half. Has anyone put something like this together? Ideally would be an adjustable short stand that I could clamp from below the downtube.

I do wonder how bike shops are dealing with bikes like this.

There is a bike stand that will deal with it in a totally secure and safe way for both the bike and the person...but it is costly. Efficient Velo tools in Portland Oregon makes a heavy, beautifully designed and built bike stand with a clamping arm that slided up and down a piece of 3" pipe secured to a 135 lb steel plate on the floor. There is a cable from the clamping arm that goes up through a pulley at the top of the pipe and down into it with a sliding counterweight of 20 or 30 lbs. that effectively makes it way easier to lift the bike off the floor already attached to the clamp arm. It has two clutch mechanisms, one secures the clamp arm up and down while the other allow you to pivot the angle of the bike on the rack and secure it in place. They also make a dual bike version. Our local Specialized ship has a single and a double. It costs more than most internet Chinese bikes but I figured at age 70, lifting and holding a 70 lb. bike, holding up with one hand while trying to secure the clamp on the frame, it was just a matter of time before a valuable ebike or I sustained some real damage. EVT has a wait list several months long.

20210511_131931.jpg

I got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VOX1XU that I still need to mount.
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.48.08 PM.png

The idea is to lift the bike up and then use my regular relatively heavy-duty bike stand that I've had for a more than a decade: https://www.amazon.com/Feedback-Sports-Elite-Repair-Stand/dp/B001CSPTSC
Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 8.47.47 PM.png

Today I have some low benches. I raise the bike onto those benches one wheels at a time, then clamp the bike onto the stand. If I do need to rotate the wheels (you'd be surprised how often you don't), then I remove the benches. Not the best solution, but space/cost efficient.

there has got to be a way to build something similar with stuff from Home Depot for waaaaaaaay less than $2,750. + S&H

My current e-bike is both heavy at 70 lbs and its weight is not evenly distributed with the battery mounted inside the downtube of the bike frame. No single stand is going to work so I need something to support the front half of the bike off the ground while using my Park Tools stand for the rear half. Has anyone put something like this together? Ideally would be an adjustable short stand that I could clamp from below the downtube.

I do wonder how bike shops are dealing with bikes like this.
I'm not sure which Park Tool stand you have but both my Park PCS-10 floor stand and PRS 4W-2 bench mount models hold my 62# bike with no problem. Even with the rear rack battery installed, I can hold the bike in position with it clamped to the seat tube.

I use the Feedback bike stand as above. It can hold my bike off the ground at both ends. If I need to support one end I can use a milk crate or something similar. With the step through I use the seat tube and leave the front tire on the ground or support as described.

The Park was my second choice. The EVT is more robost, heavier and stable, with a superior clamping mechanism and it is made in the USA. With the counterweight it is an easy lift and there is no motor to go bad.

The Park was my second choice. The EVT is more robost, heavier and stable, with a superior clamping mechanism and it is made in the USA. With the counterweight it is an easy lift and there is no motor to go bad.
Both seem to be vaporware at the moment. The earliest shipping date for the EVT is 12/31/2021 and the Park just says out of stock. I use the Feedback Sports stand myself. I originally bought it for my non-electric bikes, but it seems to work fine for my electrics which are under 60lbs.

really seems like you could just make one out of wood, bolts and gas pipe and fittings. The actual clamp to hold the bike would be a tougher source. But just a sturdy base with a heavy (metal) sturdy pipe wouldn't be difficult to fabricate. I mean $2,000. + for a stand to hold a bike just seems sort of nuts.... to me. you could build a wide box with 2x4's (pressured treated for more weight), laid out flat on the floor. Then some 3x4 pressure treated plywood (again because it's heavier and stronger) laid and glued/screwed on top as the stage of the box. So basically a stage that's a couple inches off the ground. Use a pipe flange and bolt it to the plywood, reinforce the underside of the flange with more wood or even a flat piece of metal if you want so there's no chance of tear-out.
1621440768420.png

then you just need some heavy gas pipe, probably 1 1/4" as the Riser,..maybe going to a 'T',.. you could have pipe and a 90 and 'weight' on one side of the 'T' as a counterweight to the bike, then the other side of the 'T' you'd need a bit of pipe and some type of clamp.

I mean that's just a crude 'off the top of my head' idea, but for $2,000.+ bucks I'd probably try really hard to just build one myself for a couple hundred bucks. You just need to account and build for sturdiness and weight distribution. So you'd want a somewhat wide base so it's hard to tip over, and some kind of counterweight to offset the weight of the bike. And I'd make sure the pipe is perfectly in the center of the base.

.....just a thought. It really wouldn't be hard to make something. Hardest thing I can think would be finding a good clamp to hold the bike, one that wouldn't scratch or damage the bike and would hold it securely.

really seems like you could just make one out of wood, bolts and gas pipe and fittings. The actual clamp to hold the bike would be a tougher source. But just a sturdy base with a heavy (metal) sturdy pipe wouldn't be difficult to fabricate. I mean $2,000. + for a stand to hold a bike just seems sort of nuts.... to me. you could build a wide box with 2x4's (pressured treated for more weight), laid out flat on the floor. Then some 3x4 pressure treated plywood (again because it's heavier and stronger) laid and glued/screwed on top as the stage of the box. So basically a stage that's a couple inches off the ground. Use a pipe flange and bolt it to the plywood, reinforce the underside of the flange with more wood or even a flat piece of metal if you want so there's no chance of tear-out.
View attachment 88067

then you just need some heavy gas pipe, probably 1 1/4" as the Riser,..maybe going to a 'T',.. you could have pipe and a 90 and 'weight' on one side of the 'T' as a counterweight to the bike, then the other side of the 'T' you'd need a bit of pipe and some type of clamp.

I mean that's just a crude 'off the top of my head' idea, but for $2,000.+ bucks I'd probably try really hard to just build one myself for a couple hundred bucks. You just need to account and build for sturdiness and weight distribution. So you'd want a somewhat wide base so it's hard to tip over, and some kind of counterweight to offset the weight of the bike. And I'd make sure the pipe is perfectly in the center of the base.

.....just a thought. It really wouldn't be hard to make something. Hardest thing I can think would be finding a good clamp to hold the bike, one that wouldn't scratch or damage the bike and would hold it securely.
There are cheaper heavy duty options. The $2K stands will lift the bike for you. This is the shop quality stand that most bike shops use and has a 120lb rating. If you go into a nearby LBS, you can probably see one in person before buying one.

https://www.parktool.com/product/single-arm-professional-work-stand-prs-3-2-2?category=Shop

Last edited:
that looks perfect, and affordable. Thanks (add to list)
Looks like a descent stand but I'd be a little skeptical of the 110 lb rating... Looks like some of that lost in translation from Chinese.

Idont like the clamp as well as on the 10.2 no quick release when your dealing with a heavy bike it makes a difference.
I concur... The 10.2 does save you a few turns of the clamp.
Not really an issue for me as I clamp the top tube.

Looks like a descent stand but I'd be a little skeptical of the 110 lb rating... Looks like some of that lost in translation from Chinese.

I concur... The 10.2 does save you a few turns of the clamp.
Not really an issue for me as I clamp the top tube.
its the speed if your holding a heavy bike its much easier. I have a hell of a time getting my tandem in the clamp on this guy. the 10.2 is jsut a fair amount easier.

Back