e-bike front wheel wall hanger set ups - show me yours!

tammin

Region
USA
We have three e-bikes and a small garage, so I’m looking at options for parking them vertically with the front wheel held by a hook in a wall stud in the garage. In theory this sounds pretty straight forward, but in practice it’s anything but.

Due to limited floor space, I need them to be as close together as possible while still making it easy to get any one of them out without moving the other two. The good news there is they are all different sizes, so the handlebars aren’t all at the same height when the bikes are up on their rear wheels.

The challenge is figuring out which hooks to use. I’ve got some heavy duty hardware store hooks that sort of work. And I’ve searched Amazon high and low for bike-specific options. The trouble is all the ones there seem to be for acoustic bikes, which are light enough to simply hoist up off the ground and hang on the wall. Not gonna happen with our e-bikes, even with the batteries out (Which is how we store them anyways), especially for my wife and her bike. Hooks that store the bikes at an angle would be ideal, but again, they are made for bike storage and assume a lighter bike.

So - anyone here solve this one? Again, limited space is the challenge for me. If space were no object there are lots of ways to do this.

Thanks for any pics/tips/suggestions.

We have three e-bikes and a small garage, so I’m looking at options for parking them vertically with the front wheel held by a hook in a wall stud in the garage. In theory this sounds pretty straight forward, but in practice it’s anything but.

Due to limited floor space, I need them to be as close together as possible while still making it easy to get any one of them out without moving the other two. The good news there is they are all different sizes, so the handlebars aren’t all at the same height when the bikes are up on their rear wheels.

The challenge is figuring out which hooks to use. I’ve got some heavy duty hardware store hooks that sort of work. And I’ve searched Amazon high and low for bike-specific options. The trouble is all the ones there seem to be for acoustic bikes, which are light enough to simply hoist up off the ground and hang on the wall. Not gonna happen with our e-bikes, even with the batteries out (Which is how we store them anyways), especially for my wife and her bike. Hooks that store the bikes at an angle would be ideal, but again, they are made for bike storage and assume a lighter bike.

So - anyone here solve this one? Again, limited space is the challenge for me. If space were no object there are lots of ways to do this.

Thanks for any pics/tips/suggestions.
I’m not sure if this is an option for you but several of our bikes are stored in a small corner of our garage on Proslat wall panels. I believe the permitted weight allowance for them is 75lbs/sq ft. It’s a versatile system as the hooks can be moved around so that each bike can be manoeuvred relatively close to each other. I find that having each bike with wheels/handlebars hung alternately and in staggered positions along the slats works best when you have limited space to work with. I can, with some effort, hang my 50 lb Levo by its front wheel with little effort but do find the hooks are a bit of a struggle fitting around its beefier 2.6” tires.

PXL_20230512_161346888.jpg

Thanks. Nice set up. Yeah, I‘m having a hard time imagining putting one up by the rear wheel. Space is so tight where they’re going - not a lot of room to maneuver. Need to be able to just pop them up on the rear wheel and hook the front On the wall. Probably not going to be much more I can do than that.

Reactions: wkc
There is the steady rack for ebikes which is a static mount but gives you the ability to pivot the bikes.

Not sure I would hang an ebike by the front wheel given the extra weight. But it looks like they are not actually hanging in your photo. If you were to actually suspend them to save even more room, I would strap it by the frame near the top and head tubes. You can still suspend it with a wall or ceiling mounted hook, just use a strap and of course find a stud with your mounting screw(s). (I know I am Capt. Obvious here). I had such a set-up and rigged a pulley to get them off the ceiling hooks but they were definitely out of the way.

Yeah, I just want them against the wall, not off the ground. It sounds easier than it is in the space I have to work with, which is why I’m asking. Really comes down to the type of screw hook to use - was wondering if anyone had found one that works particularly better than a generic heavy duty hardware store hook (which is what I’m currently experimenting with).
image.jpg

comes down to the type of screw hook to use
A large diameter lag screw embeds itself into the stud fairly strong, but if your studs are exposed as in the photos you could use a thru bolt for the strongest attachment possible. Drill thru the side of the stud near the center of it's width then attach the hook to the inside face of the stud. Quarter inch bolt should be sufficient.

A large diameter lag screw embeds itself into the stud fairly strong, but if your studs are exposed as in the photos you could use a thru bolt for the strongest attachment possible. Drill thru the side of the stud near the center of it's width then attach the hook to the inside face of the stud. Quarter inch bolt should be sufficient.
Hey - That’s a great idea. Although I wonder if that’ll create an interference point around the end of the hook making it hard to get the wheel on and off of it. Hmmm.. Will play around with that a bit. Maybe I could put a short extension arm on the face of the wall stud, and then through-bolt a hook onto the arm? More experimenting required. Thanks!

I've used the large (3/8" I think) padded hooks and simply installed them into exposed studs at a height that holds my ebikes against the wall with most of the weight still on the rear wheel. Ideally this works best on a bike without a rear fender but in the case of one of my bikes with permanent fenders I simply have the hook at a slightly lower level and keep the bike at an slight angle to keep some of the pressure off of the end of the fender.

Back