Bike stand(s) for heavy e-bike

My ebikes weigh in at 70lbs. I bought the Bike Hand HD repair stand rated for 110lbs. Works great. The hard part is lifting the bike to get it onto rack. Thinking of getting some milk crates to elevate the the bike to make it easier to get the bikes onto the rack. Maybe use my hydraulic jack???
I made a hoist from parts 'on hand' to lift heavy eBike when assembled onto my Lally column mounted Bike Arm.
A pair of small pulleys, a nylon web packing strap with loop handle and Velcro closure.
The Nylon web is a packing strap
It 'velcros' around the bike and the handle loop over the seatpost lifts it close to a center of gravity.
The Lally column is loose fit and rotates as required.
MV

Attachments​

• eBikeHoistLallyStand.JPG
    eBikeHoistLallyStand.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 149
  • Packing strap.JPG
    Packing strap.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 138
  • eBikeRigVelcroStrap.JPG
    eBikeRigVelcroStrap.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 141

I think my bike weighs close to 70lbs without the battery. One of those cheapo stands like listed in other posts has handled it just fine.

Some cool ideas in here. I for one have an automotive engine stand capable of holding and spinning an engine weighing in well over 600lbs. My idea is to fabricate a clamp to the head. Problem solved. Except for the part where I have no fucking time in the day to make this happen.

Basically this

Screenshot_20210823-144516~2.png

There is a bike stand that will deal with it in a totally secure and safe way for both the bike and the person...but it is costly. Efficient Velo tools in Portland Oregon makes a heavy, beautifully designed and built bike stand with a clamping arm that slided up and down a piece of 3" pipe secured to a 135 lb steel plate on the floor. There is a cable from the clamping arm that goes up through a pulley at the top of the pipe and down into it with a sliding counterweight of 20 or 30 lbs. that effectively makes it way easier to lift the bike off the floor already attached to the clamp arm. It has two clutch mechanisms, one secures the clamp arm up and down while the other allow you to pivot the angle of the bike on the rack and secure it in place. They also make a dual bike version. Our local Specialized ship has a single and a double. It costs more than most internet Chinese bikes but I figured at age 70, lifting and holding a 70 lb. bike, holding up with one hand while trying to secure the clamp on the frame, it was just a matter of time before a valuable ebike or I sustained some real damage. EVT has a wait list several months long.

View attachment 88033
I have been looking at one of these of course I have a soft spot for small American companies.
I have never regretted buying the best tool for the job. Price seems high until a year or so of use then it is hard to remember the price just the quality remains.

Max Load: 77.1 lb
Unfortunately the max load of 77 lbs. is not what Topeak states as what the stand will actually lift. It is not at all clear how heavy a bike it will actually lift.

"The foot pedal operated, built-in pressurized cartridge, provides additional lifting power making easy work of raising and lowering most bikes up to 17kg (37lb)."

I am not sure what this conflict means. Do you have any direct experience with this stand that would confirm it suitability for use on a heavier ebike?

I really don't think there is a free lunch out there for E-bike repair stands. Probably the Park Tool or EVT are the best/only options for assisted lift. I just don't see the Prepstand E-up holding up (pardon the pun) But if there is an assisted stand that is tried and true I would really like to check one out. In the meantime I guess I will start saving for a EVT stand.

Back