Bike is doing this.. please help

Jitss617

This bike is a Bbshd mid drive.
All the gears look great.
New clutch, new chain ring, new controller, and the bike shakes or skips when I hit the throttle, and the chain falls off if I put weight on it (It runs smooth if no weight on the bike) . I’ve taken this apart. To the core.
Any suggestions?

Why does weight cause it to skip/shake/ chain falls off?

Attachments

• E64944BC-5DC6-40BE-82D6-CD8C32E34392.jpeg
    E64944BC-5DC6-40BE-82D6-CD8C32E34392.jpeg
    398.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 2D8BE775-6683-41A7-828E-3E6F0BE59763.jpeg
    2D8BE775-6683-41A7-828E-3E6F0BE59763.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 145
  • D86027CC-13E5-4344-8C13-625812A1D1A5.jpeg
    D86027CC-13E5-4344-8C13-625812A1D1A5.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 99EA54B5-FFC4-42BF-8E9A-0DF2A5A6691D.jpeg
    99EA54B5-FFC4-42BF-8E9A-0DF2A5A6691D.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 129
  • ACF80D43-C88B-47D0-B4E2-4AD67451726A.jpeg
    ACF80D43-C88B-47D0-B4E2-4AD67451726A.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
This bike is a Bbshd mid drive.
All the gears look great.
New clutch, new chain ring, new controller, and the bike shakes or skips when I hit the throttle, and the chain falls off if I put weight on it (It runs smooth if no weight on the bike) . I’ve taken this apart. To the core.
Any suggestions?

Why does weight cause it to skip/shake/ chain falls off?
When did you first have this problem?
Did the bike do this prior to the new chain ring?
Is the chain falling to the inside of the chain ring or the outside?
Pictures of the bike? Pics of the transmission setup?
Single speed or multi speed cog?
Pics of the chain alignment?

Does the bike actually shake and skip? Is the motor shaking or skipping, or is the chain skipping over the chainring or cassette cogs?

Video?

When did you first have this problem?
Did the bike do this prior to the new chain ring?
Is the chain falling to the inside of the chain ring or the outside?
Pictures of the bike? Pics of the transmission setup?
Single speed or multi speed cog?
Pics of the chain alignment?

Does the bike actually shake and skip? Is the motor shaking or skipping, or is the chain skipping over the chainring or cassette cogs?

Video?
I can’t post videos here, what’s your email I’ll send the video.

I'm guessing bearings are worn out of spec you can buy gears that includes bearings or buy new complete motor and save yourself the headache for trying to fix something that's beyond fixable.
I'm saying this not to be a dick but I just replaced my M620 that is in far better condition than your motor to get it back on the trails and enjoy riding it.
Can’t I buy bearings from Luna?

Attachments

• EF9DABD8-2FBA-4E8C-A1E8-4953DFEB3091.jpeg
    EF9DABD8-2FBA-4E8C-A1E8-4953DFEB3091.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 106
  • FB054A23-7043-4AE9-9924-4B3F564D6794.jpeg
    FB054A23-7043-4AE9-9924-4B3F564D6794.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 101
I logged in 2700 miles on old motor, when I disassembled it for new grease,I also installed new gears bought from Aliexpress however with the new gears during reassembly the cover plate where the controller is on the drive side. New gears and new bearings were not fitting properly in the holes.
Long story short I took my rubber mallet and smacked it a few times and smashed a 100v capacitor then I snug everythang with my Hilti screw gun and motor was not working after that.
Looks like a more complicated motor.. looks fast.

I took my rubber mallet and smacked it a few times and smashed a 100v capacitor then I snug everythang with my Hilti screw gun and motor was not working after that.
Using the "old rubber mallet smack" for your "finer" adjustments I see. :)
I've been there before!

I logged in 2700 miles on old motor, when I disassembled it for new grease,I also installed new gears bought from Aliexpress however with the new gears during reassembly the cover plate where the controller is on the drive side. New gears and new bearings were not fitting properly in the holes.
Long story short I took my rubber mallet and smacked it a few times and smashed a 100v capacitor then I snug everythang with my Hilti screw gun and motor was not working after that.
I learned long ago to have patience with assembly... of Everything
Powered screw gun a definite no no as you won't feel something is wrong until too late.

I’m confused, easily…
But what in the world does chain drop have to do with bearings and internals?

Rome doesn’t have a BBSHD. At least that’s not what he’s pictured.

So, is this a new problem?
All good for how long?
any change in front chainrings or cassette/freewheel?
how old is the chain? More a curiosity than potential issue.
what does the chainline look like, picture?
whose chainring? Lekkie

Last edited:
Can’t I buy bearings from Luna?
3 piece set is Bafang the press fit is off the shelf.

Oops, somehow missed Tom’s questions. He started you on the right path. His questions and mine please.

But also why the new parts?
what was going on before?
hold old is the motor?
mileage?

it’s hard to see but the chain seems tight? The chain ring was smaller before?

prolly making you nuts with the questions. I’m out of practice.

poking around I found this… you abandoned the thread and never shared an outcome. Shared outcomes are how we learn from each other. Hopefully we aren’t just pissing in the wind here. ;)

Last edited:
So here is the video of Jitts617's (OP) motor problem that he sent me. Anybody got any ideas?

Is it me or did the chain stay on?
Seems there's chain bounce.. But what's going on in the rear? Derailleur? Chain too long?
With the chain off does the chain ring spin smooth? True?

Did you replace your chain? This looks like a stretched chain on new sprockets which is causing the binding. Replace your chain.

Is it me or did the chain stay on?
Seems there's chain bounce.. But what's going on in the rear? Derailleur? Chain too long?
With the chain off does the chain ring spin smooth? True?
Yes it runs smooth if I lift the bike up, But with any weight what you see in the video happens. and chain jumps off, and bike won’t move

3 piece set is Bafang the press fit is off the shelf.

Oops, somehow missed Tom’s questions. He started you on the right path. His questions and mine please.

But also why the new parts?
what was going on before?
hold old is the motor?
mileage?

it’s hard to see but the chain seems tight? The chain ring was smaller before?

prolly making you nuts with the questions. I’m out of practice.

poking around I found this… you abandoned the thread and never shared an outcome. Shared outcomes are how we learn from each other. Hopefully we aren’t just pissing in the wind here. ;)
I have three e bikes all of them won’t work, I’m trying to get them fixed, I hate taking the train in Boston. So I’m trying to get one to work.

Back