Beware the Bicycle Lane

You are so right, 86. I did not preserve my space. I did not predict.

Future accidents can be prevented by post-accident analysis and education.

Wouldn't it make a great course topic for grade school (for starters)?

I would like to make one more comment regarding defensive driving. Moving into the bike lane for a right turn makes great sense, except when a truck is involved.
As a retired truck driver you will never see a truck move right to set up for a right turn.
The bigger the truck the farther to the left he will be.
Also One Last Warning about Trucks, If The Trailer is Straight and the tractor has already started his turn he may no longer be able to see down the right side of his truck! I have seen cars run over by the trailers because they pulled down that right side. Remember he has set up way left to make that right turn. That trailer can easily use up a whole lane to the right of it to make a turn. Hoping this saves someone from a real bad day or worse.
Hopefully as a truck driver you also used your signals well before initiating your turn, and checked your mirrors prior as well. I used to drive a truck as well, and situational awareness is critically important. (The driver of this car was oblivious to others). If I was driving a truck in the above situation, and saw a bike alongside in my mirror before turning, then I know I can't start my turn, conversely if he is behind me and I have signaled appropriately, then it is the riders responsibility to pass on my left, I would still be cautious however, just because you have the right of way, doesn't fix how you will feel if someone dies as a result.

SIPD taught in motorcycle class. Scan, Interpret, Predict, Decide. I was taught as a motorcyclist to assume that EVERY cage did not see you and was probably going to hit you. Two key ingredients to safe riding are space and patience. If you remember that a bicycle NEVER won a confrontation with an automobile, it will help temper your judgement.
So very true. As a cyclist on the road you have to have the realization that you can be 100% right, but you still loose in any accident. Just because the guy behind the wheel was at fault, doesn't change you suffering for it.

Reid has gotten lots of recognition from this little dust-up. He shopped the story and video to Local 10 News, appearing and offering commentary, pontificating, which he so often does on this forum. He got his 15 minutes of exposure, again instructing all Miamians on bike safety. Truth is all of us here in Miami know that bike lanes are unsafe and many times deadly. On average there are at least 5 hit and run fatalities in South Florida yearly. Our streets are not cyclist friendly. Bike lanes were an afterthought in our urban design, and any conscientous rational person knows to avoid them. I, for one am tired of being lectured, whether it be on electromagnetic theory, or the latest pos-accident
Fourier Analysis. ENOUGH!

any conscientous rational person knows to avoid them.
I did not know that. Thousands of people, I bet, hundreds of thousands of people, I bet, don't know that. I only knew to use the bicycle lane because it was there, with signage and thousands of Miami cyclists in them daily.

Channel 10 was not "shopped." Their news director phoned me. She is a casual cyclist, too. She asked me to submit to interview. So I did, with a lot of anxiety. What could I say? What do I know? Not much. I did crash, didn't I?

Hooray, however, I found J.R.'s page 2, #22 posting only about ten minutes before going before the camera while I was waiting on the scene for the TV truck to arrive. Todd the reporter used that angle J.R. provided. He lifted the diagram in his report from J.R.'s posting and I told him I would let J.R. know. So, the interview is a "lecture" based on that posting on page 2 of this thread, its published instructions on bicycle lane safety that I knew nothing about before my crash, or 15 minutes before the interview.

I did not expect to get criticized for publishing a crash video here or marveling at the media attention. Let's now apply some commentary to the ABC national website (I did, 5 hours ago), as they ran the story on their national ABC site. Their producer in New York phoned the night of the local broadcast and asked me. I said OK, it is all public domain, you don't need my permission. Use it forever, exactly, however, you like.

It isn't mine anymore and I will never make or take a penny. Besides, it is now yesterday's news.

google abc news welch bicycle

It'll be there for life.

Last edited:
Reid has gotten lots of recognition from this little dust-up. He shopped the story and video to Local 10 News, appearing and offering commentary, pontificating, which he so often does on this forum. He got his 15 minutes of exposure, again instructing all Miamians on bike safety. Truth is all of us here in Miami know that bike lanes are unsafe and many times deadly. On average there are at least 5 hit and run fatalities in South Florida yearly. Our streets are not cyclist friendly. Bike lanes were an afterthought in our urban design, and any conscientous rational person knows to avoid them. I, for one am tired of being lectured, whether it be on electromagnetic theory, or the latest pos-accident
Wow. Seems Reid's public service message is really a benefit to all cyclists, especially those locally who will at least have some level of public awareness raised on the behalf of the drivers. If you don't like Reid's posts or style, nobody is forcing you to read it, just scroll on by. You sound jealous and bitter. Grow up a little. You weren't the one in the wreck. The simple fact that he made the video public domain should demonstrate to anyone that he is clearly just trying to help. Personally I say bravo Reid for getting your story out to raise awareness.

And interesting for its 50k views, with resulting commentary list featuring homicidal trolls,
[

You were not kidding about homicidal trolls. I honestly regret reading such posts on a full stomach.

The reality is that there are drivers out there that would gladly kill cyclists because of some perceived slight.

@Tora Harris , Can we help Reid to get his CCS fixed?
If he needs a wheel or something small, may be you can send one out.
He is certainly helping spread the word about CCS and helps others to find the joy of E-bikes and it is unfortunate that he got into an accident.

8:26 PM (0 minutes ago)
to me

Thanks for the kudos.
So glad you are okay!

Peggy Phillip
Local 10
Miami, Florida
954-364-2783 desk
816-605-xxxx cel

On Mar 3, 2018, at 2:57 PM, Reid Welch <[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

Cheers, but as far as my narrow interest goes, no-one in the world could have done the story better. In fact, ABC sort of blew it, imo...

Kind regards,

Reid

Last edited:
@Tora Harris , Can we help Reid to get his CCS fixed?
If he needs a wheel or something small, may be you can send one out.
He is certainly helping spread the word about CCS and helps others to find the joy of E-bikes and it is unfortunate that he got into an accident.
Thanks, but no thanks, for free parts. The driver apparently has insurance. My bike's warranty is voided because it was in a crash. It is damaged. The proper thing to do is get a new bike and give the insurance company the old one for salvage.

Tora, what you could for me, please, is send me a handful of Juiced Bikes business cards. That bike of yours gets questions where ever it goes. Coconut Grove is full of well-off, nice people who astonishingly, almost always yield to bicycles, even when they have and should maintain their right of way. One I met even stopped after an accident to render assistance.

EDIT: the commentary at https://www.local10.com/news/bicyclists-camera-catches-moment-he-is-struck-by-car-in-bike-lane now contains 42-years-ago Florida law regarding bicycle lanes. They've been around that long, at least. And I did not know the law until J.R. posted at #22. Nor did I know how to predict and then protect my mortal space.

Last edited:
Hi Asher, that would be great, front and rear and side on simultaneous views. Oh, well, tiny HD cams available today are not much money, have wide angle lenses and are better for documenting a ride than a phone of today, of course.

In time we will see almost invisibly-integrated miniature HD cams on bikes. And likewise on all cars. The value of having images of what happens is too great to be dismissed.

Here is what I had on my bike, a camera mount and a Yi Lite.
View attachment 20202View attachment 20203

You can actually get pretty decent quality. Shown below is a screenshot of a frame, using a phone from 2016, Nexus 5X.

You take a smartphone mount and flip it around so that the camera faces the street. Not sure about rear view but I think it can work.

My ideal would be:
1. Powered phone holder with two possible positions, one for use as a dashboard, one for use as a camera.
2. Camera starts rolling when bike is turned on (though this could be turned off) and phone is connected. No need to open an app.
3. Footage would be written over after some threshold specified by user, say 1 hour or 1 GB. Could be rewritten to a dedicated memory card.
4. Simultaneous front and rear taping. I believe Nexar has this but not as a standalone app.
Screenshot_20180303-222210.jpg
Screenshot_20180303-222441.jpg

No worrying about camera theft because you always take the phone with you, no extra camera cost. Draws a lot of power when taping but maybe there's a low power mode.

What is this even about? Reid provides great information and, from what I can make out, is probably a good person. If you don't like what he says, don't read it.

I don't have anywhere near the number of miles on bicycles that I have on motorcycles (including coast-to-coast runs, twice), but the experience I've gained on scoots is relevant. Many of the challenges are the same. I've had one accident involving another vehicle and any number of near misses. None of them could have been avoided by a conscientious rational person. (The near misses had an element of luck, plus good reflexes. Reflexes have nothing to do with rationality or conscientiousness.) Most drivers are mediocre vehicle operators at best and way too many are outright dangerous behind the wheel. You can do everything right and still get in a bad situation. I sincerely hope you never learn the truth of this the hard way.

Reid, thank you for all the great posts, especially over on the Juiced Bikes forum. It's pretty clear from the vast majority of responses you receive, on this post as on so many others, that my opinion is widely shared.

Hey, Bruce, we are all good persons here. Sanford, too. I am not a good speaker: WSVN an hour after the other station's broadcast phoned and begged to come to the house.

the other local TV interview
https://wsvn.com/news/local/bicyclist-hit-by-car-in-coconut-grove-has-message-for-motorists/

Pardon what I said. We know I could have prevented the accident by NOT overtaking on the right, "undertaking" as some people correctly call it, at any time, ever.

When I compromise that rule of survival in the future, it will be at my own, knowing, risk. And if I don't write about my next accident afterward, you will understand why: I'd rather write about my insignificant mortality, by which to forewarn others, now.

Reid, I respect your generous response to a less-than-generous comment. To be clear, I didn't mean to imply that Sanford Schultz is a bad person. I disagreed with his remarks, is all.

I hope we all learn from your experience. There will still be times when all the experience, foresight, and caution in the world will not be enough. We can't predict the unpredictable.

As far as passing on the right goes, I've always been careful about it, and still will occasionally do it. Just when I tell myself "I won't ever do that again," along comes the exception to the rule. LOL.

More and more cities are making bike lanes a primary thought in urban planning. Until such time as there are protected (enlightened populous) bikeways I ride with a cam mounted on my bikes. Thanks Reid!

Back