Better thumb throttle?

Nvreloader

Region
USA
Hey Guys
Is there a better thumb throttle, that will fit the Bafang system/Wart Hog bike?
I am not happy with mine, as I have to push it for approximately 1/4",
before there is any response from it.

It is very hard to feather it, when riding in the slow tricky stuff etc.
It seems to be either off or on with no in between selection.

Would a twist throttle be better?

Your thoughts and suggestions.
Tia,
Don

I know PIM / Polaris ebikes had a really nice thumb throttle but they are no longer producing ebikes. It was sensitive and had just enough resistance to make if very responsive at the same time. It's the best I've tried. I like grip throttles too but they make the grips a larger diameter which is sometimes a negative....not so much on an urban bike.

Twist throttle have the same displacement of thumb throttle, precision should not be better.
Can you reprogram the motor ?
If you want a better slow bike at the cost of reducing top speed, you can replace the chainring by a smaller one.

On the "throttle handle" page in your controller setup (assuming we are talking a UART based motor) there is starting and ending voltage. This is what controls your throttle resolution. If the low setting is 15 (1.5v) and your thumb throttle is made to start as low as 1.1 volt for instance, the available resolution from 1.1 to 1.5v is being wasted as it's not in play. In this case you would want to change your setting from 15, to 11. Same holds true for wide open (end voltage). If you controler is set up using 35 (3.5v) and your throttle is actually capable of 40 (4.v) there's more wasted resolution that's been left on the table..... Correcting both setting WILL make a noticeable difference in your throttle.

Twist throttles are hard on your wrists (IMHO) and in some situations (like a wide open start from a stop with a high powered bike) that throttle is nearly impossible to let go of.

If you are having trouble holding it steady, it might be a little easier holding you thumb up against the throttle "hub" to help dampen your inputs a bit..... -Al

I had a thumb throttle that did the same thing. The throttle was either on, or off. No in between. I replaced it with a half twist throttle and now I get much more control over the speed. Sometimes I’ll just barely engage the throttle to cruise at 8 mph. Great for parking lots. The motor ramps up as I turn the throttle.

Buy a “heavy duty” thumb throttle, if it’s the Bafang “universal” and follow Gionni’s advise.

I ALWAYS have a spare in my parts box with a cheap used display and speed sensor. 3 of the most often failed parts. I’m adding a controller anticipating Getting “Bafanged” when the newest version goes mainstream. Some of us think Bafanged may this time may be no replacement parts. One poster claimed a Chinese seller claimed the HD and B will continue production. 7 years of BBSXX use and support dashed my trust in Bafang and their parts stream.

Last edited:
I just found out something else.......per OEM spec's on the Wart Hog MD 750,
it is supposed to come with a right hand twist throttle.

Mine, only has the thumb throttle? WTH is going on with this bike?

I just found out something else.......per OEM spec's on the Wart Hog MD 750,
it is supposed to come with a right hand twist throttle.

Mine, only has the thumb throttle? WTH is going on with this bike?
There's parts shortages everywhere so substitutions seem common these days.
Possible... Maybe... The controller was set up for the twist throttle and this can be one explanation why the thumb is so far off the settings.

Last edited:
Back