Bafang m620 gear sensor extension cable

Foxhound68

Region
Canada
Hi I have a Bafang m620 gear sensor and was trying to mount it up near my shifter and run the cord through the frame with the rest of my wires but the cord doesn't reach , does anyone know of a extension adaptor I could use for it ?

Attachments

• 20221128_155306.jpg
    20221128_155306.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 125
Sorry, can't help you with the extension. How are your soldering skills? Maybe splice in a section long enough? Or maybe mount the switch to the rear of the motor?

Does this "gear sensor" show what gear you are engage in on your display.
Or is it only for motor cancelling when you shift gears?
They do make ones that show the gear your in but this one is just motor cancelling

Your right I got a bit excited it would be too much trouble to put a gear indicator sensor. Most times I select gears that suite my riding style and comfortable on my biking legs and back.
Pic above did say gear sensor.
Bafang calls them "gear sensors". More accurate translation would like be be something closer to "shift sensor". I was curious how it worked one day so I took it apart. It's nothing more that 2 small rollers (used to guide the cable) and a sensor that can pick up the fact the cable is moving. When it senses the cable movement it shuts the motor down for a second. There's nothing else to it.

Is it normally open or close my shifter has shift sensor. I wouldn't know how to diagnose it if it gets stuck and shuts down motor. It's probably not a common occurrence but if it happens to my bike it's another trip to LBS and downtime.
Just locate it and unplug it from the motor to disable it.

Your right I got a bit excited it would be too much trouble to put a gear indicator sensor. Most times I select gears that suite my riding style and comfortable on my biking legs and back.
Pic above did say gear sensor.
I think your meaning something like this ? They do make them if so I just had no need for it only the shift sensor part

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221205_020243_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221205_020243_Samsung Internet.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20221205_020251_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221205_020251_Samsung Internet.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 119
Wow, if that thing does have the ability to be a gear indicator, it would be the first I've read about anything with that ability. I'm not sure how that gear information would even be displayed on any of the Bafang displays I'm familiar with? Would need to see a little more info about it to believe that's not a misprint or the result of a misunderstanding...

Wow, if that thing does have the ability to be a gear indicator, it would be the first I've read about anything with that ability. I'm not sure how that gear information would even be displayed on any of the Bafang displays I'm familiar with? Would need to see a little more info about it to believe that's not a misprint or the result of a misunderstanding...
Both the controller and display would need to be compatible.
That said, it would be nice but perhaps a bit of overdesign for a mostly non existent problem only introducing further failure points.

Both the controller and display would need to be compatible.
That said, it would be nice but perhaps a bit of overdesign for a mostly non existent problem only introducing further failure points.
It works like a shift sensor so I don't see a further failure point as all it's doing is having the shift cable run through the sensor housing , if the sensor fails the shifter will still work

Invented for those with poor shifting skills. IMNSHO
Or people who just wanna protect there drive train , I'll be using it only as a fail safe and will use the brake cutoff method . It's a 50 dollar piece of kit that can prevent damage and is simple to install , seems like a no brainer to me

Or people who just wanna protect there drive train , I'll be using it only as a fail safe and will use the brake cutoff method . It's a 50 dollar piece of kit that can prevent damage and is simple to install , seems like a no brainer to me
Sorry, I’m not saying innept riders shouldn’t use them. See endless_sphere.com in 2014 when some of us beta tested. Works for you ? Perfect

It works like a shift sensor so I don't see a further failure point as all it's doing is having the shift cable run through the sensor housing , if the sensor fails the shifter will still work
Yes... My comment was more towards controller and display errors in monitoring gear position.
I could be wrong but the proper way to monitor gear position would be with an intelligent derailleur or IGH. Cable travel seems to me to be the cheap way out and prone to misalignment, cable stretch and inaccuracy.
In any case... Personally I have no use for either a gear or shift sensor. ymmv

Sorry, I’m not saying innept riders shouldn’t use them. See endless_sphere.com in 2014 when some of us beta tested. Works for you ? Perfect
Oh I wasn't taking offense ! I just figured why not , doesn't hurt having it ya know !

Back