Bafang chainrings are crap?

Gionnirocket

Region
USA
City
Y. O.
As I've been waiting for my BBS02B to be delivered I've been watching a lot of videos on top of reading and I've come across many that bash the stock Bafang chainrings. They don't say why... They just say that they're crap. Now I realize that some are vendor/builder relationships and they're just trying to push their own "upgrade" product.
Being someone with no experience... What's wrong with the stock ring? Too heavy? Wears quickly? Too shiney?

If you think so. Doesn't bother me.

I've had the standard 46T or 48T BBS02 crank since 2016 (I'd have to go count it again). I didn't need the programming cable. I think the gear sensor was a waste of money when it was $20. Now it's $49? The C961 display was all they offered back then, but I wouldn't have gone for color.

If you think so. Doesn't bother me.

I've had the standard 46T or 48T BBS02 crank since 2016 (I'd have to go count it again). I didn't need the programming cable. I think the gear sensor was a waste of money when it was $20. Now it's $49? The C961 display was all they offered back then, but I wouldn't have gone for color.

Thanks

I'm actually under the impression that the stock ring will be just fine. I opted for the 46t.
I passed on the shift sensor but I did go for the color display. It does provide some background info from the battery and controller that I find interesting.

IMG_20200429_205309_323.JPG

I've updated the title as it was rubbing;)

They’re just fine. I’ve had them all, Luna, OEM, Lekkie, and chainwheels on adapters. Narrow Wide may help a chain drop issue, but mostly they are bling. Me thinks you are overthinking. I try not to fix a problem before I have it. It’s really just a bling thing. The kit rings are heavier because they are steel.

BTW all display functions might not be available/accessible. There is no com between you display and battery. The disclaimer is marked with an asterisk.

Yes I know. I asked the vendor if the BMS would support this function and he confirmed that it would.
We'll have to see if he's honorable.

They’re just fine. I’ve had them all, Luna, OEM, Lekkie, and chainwheels on adapters. Narrow Wide may help a chain drop issue, but mostly they are bling. Me thinks you are overthinking. I try not to fix a problem before I have it. It’s really just a bling thing. The kit rings are heavier because they are steel.

Really wasn't planning on replacing it... Was just wondering if there was any validity to the bashing. My first impression was that it will be fine and that vendors were trying to sell shiny add ons

Which vendor, which battery?

Correction.. It was another vendor (UPP) that told me that the battery BMS supports the info/display. Don't want to give Greenergy a bad wrap when it doesn't work.. which I'm realizing it won't.
Anywho I would have chosen the 860 anyway as I like the over the stem mount, large text and pretty colors 🙃

Correction.. It was another vendor (UPP) that told me that the battery BMS supports the info/display. Don't want to give Greenergy a bad wrap when it doesn't work.. which I'm realizing it won't.
Anywho I would have chosen the 860 anyway as I like the over the stem mount, large text and pretty colors 🙃
Good luck. We stopped selling their batteries when they refused to support a warranty. Resulting in us eating a substantial amount of dollars. I know of no BMS from them that will support communication between the battery and display. I hope I'm wrong but I'm highly suspicious. There are several instances of their battery failing and flaming away! Although the courts didn't support the claims.

2EE52919-5F7D-4181-9B9F-1BBC55744D1C.jpeg
BAFFECB5-7C25-496C-91DC-F89C0937C622.png

Attachments

• 71E3E766-9F37-4157-A894-51D3567683DC_1_105_c.jpeg
    71E3E766-9F37-4157-A894-51D3567683DC_1_105_c.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 286
Good luck. We stopped selling their batteries when they refused to support a warranty. Resulting in us eating a substantial amount of dollars. I know of no BMS from them that will support communication between the battery and display. I hope I'm wrong but I'm highly suspicious. There are several instances of their battery failing and flaming away! Although the courts didn't support the claims.

Thanks... I also came across more than a few complaints about UPP so that's why I ended up buying it from Greenergy. They're on Ali' only 2 years, but as far as I can tell their reputation is fair. In the end I'll probably end up with a similar quality battery, but I felt it adequate to get my feet wet. That said... That's some ugly build quality. If I'm feeling froggy I'll pop the cover and post some pics once I'm up and running.
Aliexpress is like Vegas... sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

As mentioned elsewhere my intent is to not use the throttle, as little PAS as possible and to continue pedaling as much as my tired bones allow. Hopefully the setup will allow me to enjoy a longer day outside riding. The 750w and 17.5ah battery is probably oversized for my skinny butt on a typical day's ride so hopefully that will buy me some reliability.

I'm finding out that only the stock Bafang battery BMS can communicate with the display. So it's probably meant for their hometown customers.

Confirmation bias on Lekkies. You spend $90 on a chain ring and you swear it was made so well that you can cut bread with it. I grant that if you want 36T, it's the only way to go.

Confirmation bias on Lekkies. You spend $90 on a chain ring and you swear it was made so well that you can cut bread with it. I grant that if you want 36T, it's the only way to go.

That's what makes YouTube so much fun.. I have it! You should have it!!

But it screws up the chainline on most builds. 40T is the lowest tooth count to maintain the chainline but that's a $150 Lekkie.

That's why I was hesitant to deviate too far from my current 28/38/48 set up. Though it looks as I have plenty of wiggle room I figured 46t was a safe bet and I put the two extra teeth under my pillow for the fairy.

Back