Bafang BBSHD Problems

Bobafett

Region
USA
Hey folks. I’m about at my wits end. I installed a new bbshd on my mountain bike. It worked great for 3 mins. Then the throttle and PAS stopped working. Everything else, like the display, speed sensor and work great. The mph is displayed on the 860c as well as the correct battery voltage. I’m using a 52v 20ah battery, lg cells. The motor just won’t turn on.

I have tried the following:

-opened up controller and inspected phase wires and visually inspected and smelled controller. Smells and looks brand new.

-adjusted speed sensor multiple times. The first pass of the magnet turns the LED on, and it stays that way except it blinks off quickly then back on with each subsequent magnet pass. I think that’s how it’s supposed to work.

-I took off brake and gear sensors.

-triple checked connections and battery terminals.

Is there anything I could be missing?

Thanks in advance.

-

Check and make sure your PAS setting is not zero. On some controllers this turns the throttle off as well.
I made sure it was on. Still dead. It can’t be the battery because everything else is working fine, right?

I made sure it was on. Still dead. It can’t be the battery because everything else is working fine, right?
Depends on the charge level. You can get battery sag if you have that motor programmed to a high level and the battery is low. Go full throttle and the battery drops below the minimum. That's the only exception I know of.

More than likely it's a loose connection double check them all and just to be clear set PAS to at least one. (it's not the same as being on or not, it's the level of PAS).

Depends on the charge level. You can get battery sag if you have that motor programmed to a high level and the battery is low. Go full throttle and the battery drops below the minimum. That's the only exception I know of.
Thanks. The display is showing a full 58.8v charge. It does go down after a while if I leave the display on. I’m starting to think it’s the controller or motor core, but like I mentioned the controller looked and smelled fine. No melted wires.

More than likely it's a loose connection double check them all and just to be clear set PAS to at least one. (it's not the same as being on or not, it's the level of PAS).
Also the throttle does nothing when I press it. And the pas is at 3. Rotating the crank arms doesn’t activate the pas either.

Do a continuity test of the main harness and then get hold of a second display to test as they are the most likely culprit.

Hey folks. I’m about at my wits end. I installed a new bbshd on my mountain bike. It worked great for 3 mins. Then the throttle and PAS stopped working. Everything else, like the display, speed sensor and work great. The mph is displayed on the 860c as well as the correct battery voltage. I’m using a 52v 20ah battery, lg cells. The motor just won’t turn on.

I have tried the following:

-opened up controller and inspected phase wires and visually inspected and smelled controller. Smells and looks brand new.

-adjusted speed sensor multiple times. The first pass of the magnet turns the LED on, and it stays that way except it blinks off quickly then back on with each subsequent magnet pass. I think that’s how it’s supposed to work.

-I took off brake and gear sensors.

-triple checked connections and battery terminals.

Is there anything I could be missing?

Thanks in advance.

-
Check the brake cutouts. Continuity setting on your multimeter. Check battery voltage.

Do a continuity test of the main harness and then get hold of a second display to test as they are the most likely culprit.
I did a display test and that wasn’t it. At this point it’s the harness or the controller. I just ordered a new controller from Luna. Fingers crossed. I guess maybe my fat ass and too low of gear may have blown it in a few minutes. Honestly though I thought these things were supposed to be bullet proof.

I thought these things were supposed to be bullet proof.
They are really stout motors and are used extensively with pedicabs. Not knowing how you ride, how old the motor is, or what the conditions were leading up to the fail I can't rule out rider error. That said controllers are perhaps the most common failure. Thankfully the percentages are REALLY LOW. But Bafang PCB quality control can really suck. But, repeating here, very low failure rates.

BTW, I have seen zip ties so tight that they actually damaged the harness and shorted internal wiring.

One small detail... Is he replacing with a CANbus controller or UART?
I'm ASSuming UART if he's talking about being able to program
Showing both batteries was a waste as not using the com renders the first equal to the second
The idea is to use the current BBSHD controller. I’m really not interested in supporting or following up. BUT Knowing the group that worked together on this hack, I’m assuming the replacement controller works with the battery. I can’t matinees they’d bother otherwise.🤔 Looks like I’m dumbing down to lower brain amps.

interested users should perhaps query the producer on their YouTube post.

Mea culpa for not having a direct answer. No more BBSxx or M625 in my future. When my Bafangs die I’m done. But I suspect I’ll beat my new 500W to a dirt nap.

The idea is to use the current BBSHD controller. I’m really not interested in supporting or following up. BUT Knowing the group that worked together on this hack, I’m assuming the replacement controller works with the battery. I can’t matinees they’d bother otherwise.🤔 Looks like I’m dumbing down to lower brain amps.

interested users should perhaps query the producer on their YouTube post.

Mea culpa for not having a direct answer. No more BBSxx or M625 in my future. When my Bafangs die I’m done. But I suspect I’ll beat my new 500W to a dirt nap.
I haven't been following the new hardware closely... but isn't the current BBSHD Controller CANbus? If so, then there would be no programing anyway.
Calling Mr. BBSHD aka @m@Robertson

Back