Bafang BBSHD Problems

Motors labeled as BBSHD will not use the "new" protocol. NO BBSxx uses it either. The motors in the new kits aren't called BBSxx! They are M-series M615
I’m really confused by Bafangs model numbers. They’re confusing even on their website. Sorting, and my apologies for any incorrect model references.

I'm curious about this info as well. I came to find out some info. It states there are 40 replies but I do not see any. What's up with that???

I'm curious about this info as well. I came to find out some info. It states there are 40 replies but I do not see any. What's up with that???
A link or brief explanation to direct us to where you are looking?

If you go to the first post of this link on the previous page it states there are 40 replies.
Did you figure it out? Do you have some specific questions?

The motor spins very fast, and it only takes a minute amount of movement on the crank arms and its off to the races so much so, sometimes I cannot pedal that fast to keep up. I end up in the 11t cog just to get some resistance in the pedals.
Wow I missed this original thread and user's issue. And this one too. My excuse is I was in the Poconos on a business trip (really!)

@officerdare's problem *really* sounds like wonky settings inside the motor. I wonder what are those settings? Best would be screen shots of each of the three settings screens. Pretty confident we'll see a smoking gun in there.

52v battery is not any sort of issue. The only thing a 52v battery does is give some extra usable voltage. 14S packs have a peak of 58.8v and 13S packs are 54.6v. Increased speed is negligible and what little is there only lasts for a short time. The reason you go 52v is to stay in the usable voltage range of a 48v system for a longer period of time. As for problems caused by kaka battery manufacture... yeah sure. But that is a problem of cheapskate consumers, not the battery platform.

Absent a response from @officerdare, the version 2 in the linked follow-on article (page top) to the one below will yield pedal assist output in the 450w range on level 9. Six to eight amps continuous on flat ground, but that is a really big bike, so something a little less ginormous might eat fewer amps.

PXL_20220622_232647814.jpg

I have a mountain bike with the same settings that I need to ride tonight. Oddly enough I am checking the amp output of both bikes to make this specific comparison between the two.
PXL_20220526_161504488.jpg

That 450w is on a 52v battery and since the motor retains the 30a output, leaves full output/throttle available on request. It also gives a slow power rampup, and a near instant-off when you stop pedaling. Keeps just a skootch in case you want to use that split second of barely powered rotation to complete a gearshift.

Last edited:
Wow I missed this original thread and user's issue. And this one too. My excuse is I was in the Poconos on a business trip (really!)

@officerdare's problem *really* sounds like wonky settings inside the motor. I wonder what are those settings? Best would be screen shots of each of the three settings screens. Pretty confident we'll see a smoking gun in there.

52v battery is not any sort of issue. The only thing a 52v battery does is give some extra usable voltage. 14S packs have a peak of 58.8v and 13S packs are 54.6v. Increased speed is negligible and what little is there only lasts for a short time. The reason you go 52v is to stay in the usable voltage range of a 48v system for a longer period of time. As for problems caused by kaka battery manufacture... yeah sure. But that is a problem of cheapskate consumers, not the battery platform.

Absent a response from @officerdare, the version 2 in the linked follow-on article (page top) to the one below will yield pedal assist output in the 450w range on level 9. Six to eight amps continuous on flat ground, but that is a really big bike, so something a little less ginormous might eat fewer amps.

View attachment 126951

I have a mountain bike with the same settings that I need to ride tonight. Oddly enough I am checking the amp output of both bikes to make this specific comparison between the two.
View attachment 126952

That 450w is on a 52v battery and since the motor retains the 30a output, leaves full output/throttle available on request. It also gives a slow power rampup, and a near instant-off when you stop pedaling. Keeps just a skootch in case you want to use that split second of barely powered rotation to complete a gearshift.

Why not open that battery case and check the assembly of the cells? Post a pic of your findings. Really like the looks of that MTB build btw.

Why not open that battery case and check the assembly of the cells? Post a pic of your findings. Really like the looks of that MTB build btw.
Cuz honestly it sounds nothing like a battery issue. I wouldn't want to be taking a battery apart unless I knew I had something to gain by it, and the user's description of his problem sounds entirely like motor settings.

Cuz honestly it sounds nothing like a battery issue. I wouldn't want to be taking a battery apart unless I knew I had something to gain by it, and the user's description of his problem sounds entirely like motor settings.
Well, keep it in the dark then.

Back