Bafang BBSHD Problems

I think I'm still sleeping... I thought I read that mid 2021 the BBS** was starting to go CANbus?
I thought the same. Turns out though there may be a bunch of the BBSxx product being sold this year that are still UART. Darn good idea, as far as I'm concerned, to find out which you are getting, beyond any reasonable doubt, BEFORE dropping even a nickel on a new bike.

It'll be obvious I think. BBSHD comes as a motor or kit without a Bafang battery. A vast majority of shops are not selling the M625 battery complete kits.I'm thinking they'll use M625. Not to worry, yet. BUT I'd garb some spare parts if not entire motr as a backup. I know of 3 dealers who've ordered hundreds of the current BBSHD motors.

The release of the hack, as I was told, was done by a group of shops and/or fellows in anticipation of being "Bafanged" AGAIN!
Again, you've gone for the kit answer, when I was speaking of production bikes. So let me add this if it will make you happy: In EITHER case, I would make DARN sure I knew which I'd be getting (UART vs. CANbus).

Last edited:
I have absolutely no idea of how many BBSxx kits vs. production bikes are sold. If you are saying they are not a popular production bike option, you'd be wrong.
Who brought up the M625's?
I was replying to:
I think I'm still sleeping... I thought I read that mid 2021 the BBS** was starting to go CANbus?
with what I thought was a reasonable response. YOU however, took my response to task ("It'll be obvious I think"), seeming to be focused on discrediting anything I have to say, even though we agreed to STOP!!!!

If the answer to his question were "obvious", I doubt it would have caught both @Gionnirocket and myself left wondering.

duel.gif

At the risk of starting another issue, this comment is a moot point "primarily a conversion kit motor". Even if that is true, so what? Clearly they are used in production bikes as well.

From there, let's try to proceed with some civility...... again.

The point remains, if you are buying one (BBSxx) for a kit, or in a production bike, thinking that confirming the buss type is a good plan prior to purchase. The last I heard is that the BBS02's from Rize were still UART. No guarantees regarding how long those last....

well.

From there, let's try to proceed with some civility...... again.
I give up. Ignore will solve your risk. Sadly ignore doesn’t “plonk” like Usenet did.

Last edited:
I need help and am seeking advice. I have installed a 2022 Bafang BBSHD on a customers 2012 ICE Adventure Recumbent Trike. Something either about the motor or (?) Is definitely chewing up the voltage on the batteries. I have had another mechanic check everything. Displays are correctly set to the wheel sizes and to 9 PAS. The motor spins very fast, and it only takes a minute amount of movement on the crank arms and its off to the races so much so, sometimes I cannot pedal that fast to keep up. I end up in the 11t cog just to get some resistance in the pedals. Both trikes are identical in all aspects except the 2012 has 20” wheels all around, where the 2015 has a 26” rear wheel.

BBSHD Mid Drive 1000w motor
42T chainring
11-34T Cassettes
KMC E9e Chain
SRAM X9 Derailleurs
SRAM X0 Rear Shifter
Now both have DPC18 Displays
SRAM DDIII 3 speed IGH
Schwalbe Marathon tires
Bafang Brake lever sensors
Bafang Speed Sensors
Bafang Shift Sensors
170mm Crankarms

Essentially I am only getting approx, 30 miles out of a fully charged battery and running at only PAS 2 of 9. I attempted to check out PAS 3 - 5 but the trike automatically jumps to approx. 16.5 + mph and in level 4 its around 20 - 22 mph. Those are not bad speeds, but I could not/cannot get any resistance levels to pedaling and literally just have to move the crank arms and the trike maintains those speeds and the voltage level drops hard and into the red or nearing the BMS cutoff.

Here are the test results for 2012 recumbent trike with 20" rear wheel on several different rides.

14.5Ah Battery/52V
PAS 2 (860C Display)
Ride #1: 34.38 miles

17.5Ah Battery/52v (2) rides
PAS 2
Ride #1: 32.11 miles (860C Display)
Ride #2: 34.28 miles (DPC18 Display)

This is what I get/have gotten on the 2015 Recumbent Trike that has ALL the same equipment except it has the 26" rear wheel for different rides. These are not all the tests I did in 2020 when I installed the BBSHD on the trike. This shows the kind of mileage I have been getting out of the batteries as the different PAS levels. I currently average 50-60 miles on PAS 4 with either battery.

14.5Ah Battery52v:
PAS 1 = 83.58 miles
PAS 3 = 82.32 miles
PAS 5 = 38.40 miles
PAS 3 = 78.20 miles
PAS 4 = 47.33 miles
PAS 4 = 51.31 miles
PAS 3 = 80.09 miles

17.5Ah Battery/52v:
PAS 2 = 168.78 miles
PAS 4 = 59.23 miles
PAS 6 = 38.67 miles
PAS 3 = 65.16 miles
PAS 3 = 83.93 miles
PAS 3 = 87.21 miles
PAS 3 = 80.09 miles
PAS 4 = 57.13 miles

I steered away from a 52v set up after reading this; https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news

My 48v 20ah battery and BBS02 are plenty powerful and move my 220# bulk easily up long hills.
I did too. BUT now that there are new and better cases from Reetion we can have cell separation for quality battery pack builders. HOWEVER, those $300 Amazon and eBay "shark" packs will be mostly glued and use substandard components.

I had some old Luna batteries that were exactly what Matt at empowered described. CRAP!

Motors labeled as BBSHD will not use the "new" protocol. NO BBSxx uses it either. The motors in the new kits aren't called BBSxx! They are M-series M615

So is the M615 and BBSO2B and BBSHD all being produced new and available for purchase?
Typical Bafang and confusing model names. The web page I thought called the CANbus M615 but in another spot completely different. I posted the controller change out for the CANbus back to UART.

I'm messaging my old shop mechanic who has had hands-on. I'm asking for what is engraved in the new CANbus motors.

I steered away from a 52v set up after reading this; https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news

My 48v 20ah battery and BBS02 are plenty powerful and move my 220# bulk easily up long hills.
Just because it's 52 volts doesn't mean it's any more dangerous than a 48.

Much of the post you linked to has highly questionable data stated as fact. For instance you will get more than 1 mph more with a 52 vs 48 (generally its 7% more.)

a poor build, is a poor build, no matter what voltage, on the other hand Luna makes a 52v potted battery that is far above most any battery one the market !

Much of the post you linked to has highly questionable data stated as fact. For instance you will get more than 1 mph more with a 52 vs 48 (generally its 7% more.)

a poor build, is a poor build, no matter what voltage, on the other hand Luna makes a 52v potted battery that is far above most any battery one the market !
If only you had a clue...

Matt at empoweredcycles has sold and handles more batteries in a week than you’ll likely have your hands on in your lifetime. The article addresses the folks that cram glued cells into a case designed for fewer cells and cell separations. Sadly it’s your reading comprehension or you didn’t bother to actually read the article. In the real world it’s not 7%. I have, soon to be recycled, 2 20Ah triangles from Luna in 2016. A 48v and a 52v. They were mainly used on my 3 personal bbshd’s (first versions with bad rotor shafts). For the first few volts the 52v motor carried me at 32-33MPH. The 48v at 29-30mph. The both got about equal mileage. dumbing down a Bafang middrive by lowering the amps shows a very small decrease in performance and keeps a road hard setup at lower operating temperatures. So we see the 52v at 48v performs like the 48V. That increase is of 4v is short lived in real world use.

of Course you ignore anyone that dares to try and enlighten you. Commie pinko!

potted batteries are unrepairable. For me a kit builder with all the battery tools I prefer to be able to solve my own issues and repair. And all isn’t rosy with Luna warranties.

Last edited:

As with everything Luna it is always the Best and most Ultimate Everything!
Their descriptions have always read this way no matter what pos they are selling.
As usual the weak minded are enthralled 👍

So is the M615 and BBSO2B and BBSHD all being produced new and available for purchase?
I keep meaning to call my old shop to answer that but I’ve been sidetracked dealing with other important issues... I’ll follow up and poke the shop again.

Back