At What Price .......?

Hi CSH, the photo of the handlebars you like look like they are for the Aventon Pace, have you taken a look at it? There are quite a few bike stores in Southern California that carry Aventon.

Another option in your price range is the Giant LaFree E+1 or E+2. The E+1 seems to check all of your boxes, and Giant stores are everywhere.

What is great about the Pace and LaFree is that they both come in three frame sizes. If you can get to a store, they would be able to set you up with the right size for you.

Hi CSH, the photo of the handlebars you like look like they are for the Aventon Pace, have you taken a look at it? There are quite a few bike stores in Southern California that carry Aventon.

Another option in your price range is the Giant LaFree E+1 or E+2. The E+1 seems to check all of your boxes, and Giant stores are everywhere.

What is great about the Pace and LaFree is that they both come in three frame sizes. If you can get to a store, they would be able to set you up with the right size for you.

Yep, Those are on my short list.............

Since you live in SoCal you have endless choices. BME bikes in Northridge will build you an ebike exactly how you want it. They will add a bbs02 to just about any bike and customize beyond that. They built me a bike 3 years ago exactly to my specifications and it cost about half of what a comparable brand name bike would have. I am doing fine on the relatively cheap folder I’m riding. If I could come up with a reason I’d probably have them build me another bike. You decide what suspension you want. You decide which brakes, derailleur etc. if you don’t supply the bike they’ll sell you the base bike at dealer cost. You pick it out. They offer an optional small second battery and paint the bike to give it their distinctive look.

People who have suggested renting some bikes to try them out have given you good advice.

Craig, if you are interested in the Evelo Aurora mid-drive, I can recommend the Priority Embark which also has the Nuvinci/Enviolo CVT, has quality components (Bosch mid-drive Active+ motor + battery), weighs much less (45# with battery as opposed to 55# without) and costs slightly less - though it's $4000 on the Priority website, you can buy it through Costco for $3000 (plus the $60 membership charge if you're not already a member). Class 1, no throttle, no suspension. I have had mine for three weeks now and love it a lot, but again you'd have to buy blind rather than being able to test ride as you could if you went to a LBS.

Craig, if you are interested in the Evelo Aurora mid-drive, I can recommend the Priority Embark which also has the Nuvinci/Enviolo CVT, has quality components (Bosch mid-drive Active+ motor + battery), weighs much less (45# with battery as opposed to 55# without) and costs slightly less - though it's $4000 on the Priority website, you can buy it through Costco for $3000 (plus the $60 membership charge if you're not already a member). Class 1, no throttle, no suspension. I have had mine for three weeks now and love it a lot, but again you'd have to buy blind rather than being able to test ride as you could if you went to a LBS.

Costco..... Who'da Thunk it.

Very interesting. I looked and they only have Large. I would need Med.

But Thanks for your input

Craig

If anyone is curious, my answers are in BOLD

Is this bike a weekend bike or a bike you are going to commute daily? Weekend. No commuting.
Do you have a lot of stop start? Some (intersections)
Do you have to carry things? No
Do you have weather issues? No
Do you have elevation gains? Moderate
Do you need fork suspension? Only as added comfort
Do you need seat suspension? I think I would like it
Do you need a rack? Not necessarily

Are you young or old? 62
step-thru. Preferred
Are you short, average, tall? 5'8 1/2"
Are you skinny, average, fat? 200lbs

Are you good at maintenance? Not enough so to want to.
What is the premium you are willing to pay for little to no maintenance? Max $3400
How important is a warranty to you? If I had to pay a high price, then I would hope for / expect a Warranty
How important is speed to you? 20mph is fine
What do you estimate your annual usage? A couple rides a week (Neighborhood or Bike Path)
Do you need a throttle? For the Security of quick start from a stop light, or moving out of trouble, it seems like a good Tool.

I hope to be able to Dial in as much exercise as desired (or not).
No street here is perfectly flat, and some have a bit of a climb, (especially at the end of my usual route).
Im not an intense hard rider, but not Grampa yet.

-- What I "think" I like / want:
I like the idea of No Derailleur, But I'm open to advice.
I like the idea of Hydraulic Brakes, But I'm open to advice.
I like the idea of Mid Drive, But Beginning to respect the Hub Drive as well.
I hope for reliability and Money well spent. (not a constant money drain).
I was hoping to find Quality for Under $2,500.
I want to feel comfortable, and a pleasurable ride, But not a full blown "Cruiser Bike" (not too Swept Back)
My wrists can get Numb quickly if I'm bearing down on them too much.

Beleive me, I understand your suggestion that I address all of these questions.
I just didn't want to inflict too much minutia into my original Price question.

Craig

Many riders love Pedego (W. Shatner here);) A little pricey, however, great service. Perhaps ebikemom could chime in on this one as well (who is a fan of Pedego). Happy shopping!

Last edited:
One upright/relaxed bicycle that likely matches your request for good quality, reliability, and money well spent is the Gazelle Arroyo. "Royal Dutch Gazelle" is the company's name, with the Royal part, according to Court's review (IIRC correction), only given to that company in bicycles. They makes their bicycles in the Netherlands, and they are built to last. The Dutch probably know more about bicycling than anyone else as they do it a lot and it is a source of national pride.

Court has various reviews, including the latest on the "Elite" version here:
- https://electricbikereview.com/gazelle/arroyo-c8-hmb-elite/

I own one (not the Elite but the 2018 standard Gazelle Arroyo) and really enjoy it. I fell in love with it when I first started riding it and ended up getting one after trying out various other bikes.

Costco..... Who'da Thunk it.

Very interesting. I looked and they only have Large. I would need Med.

But Thanks for your input

Craig

Huh, guess they sold out. They will probably get more eventually (I bought a Small, and my husband a Large) but if you're trying to get something soon that's no good, obviously.

Priority told me that they sell a lot of bikes through Costco, which yeah, surprised me too, but I guess it works for them.

Well, Thanks to ALL of your Input everybody !

I went Deep down the Rabbit Hole on this topic, and
my Wife & I finally settled on these bikes.
Our 1st E-bikes.

Many Check Boxes were filled by the Giant LaFree +1

- Yamaha Mid Drive Motor
- 60Nm Torque
- Super Smooth Power
- Gates Carbon Belt
- Nexus internal gearing
- Hydraulic Breaks
- Upright Ride
- Just the right size Tires
- Large company Support
- Tons of Local Giant Dealers around
- Well within budget $$
- Panasonic Battery
- 3A Charger
- Warranty 2 Year Comprehensive, Lifetime Frame

Here's to "Easy Ride'n" :cool::cool:

Craig

Attachments

• 20190724_124527.jpg
    20190724_124527.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 20190724_124645.jpg
    20190724_124645.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 222
Congrat's on making a choice, then following through on it! Don't forget to get back with us after you've had them for a few months for a review.

$3000-$4000 That gives you torque sensor mid drive, hydraulic brakes, quality drivetrain components, puncture resistant tires, and big battery.
Puncture resistant tires are a big deal. I went on a 25 mile ride today, and at one point stopped and picked about 4 goathead thorns out of my front tire, none of which resulted in a flat. My bike has Super MotoX tires, which feel good for road and light trail riding. They are not, however, mtb tires.

Well, Thanks to ALL of your Input everybody !

I went Deep down the Rabbit Hole on this topic, and
my Wife & I finally settled on these bikes.
Our 1st E-bikes.

Many Check Boxes were filled by the Giant LaFree +1

- Yamaha Mid Drive Motor
- 60Nm Torque
- Super Smooth Power
- Gates Carbon Belt
- Nexus internal gearing
- Hydraulic Breaks
- Upright Ride
- Just the right size Tires
- Large company Support
- Tons of Local Giant Dealers around
- Well within budget $$
- Panasonic Battery
- 3A Charger
- Warranty 2 Year Comprehensive, Lifetime Frame

Here's to "Easy Ride'n" :cool::cool:

Craig
I love my Lafree E+2.... It's magical. How does it know exactly what you need when you need it? I rode tonight in 22mph hour winds no problem. Congrats on the ebikes. I wish my hubby had my bike....then he could keep up with me. I spend a lot of time waiting for him to catch up. He loves his analog bike. ?

You should be able to get everything you need/want for 2,500 but you'll need to shop around. I got an end of model year 3k bike for 2.5k. has hydraulic brakes, mid drive w/ torque sensor, lights, fenders etc. etc. I don't know where you live but it might be worth your while to travel to a big ebike store like crazy lenny's in Wisconsin that has multiple brands so you can test ride and also get a good deal when you decide which you like best

Back