Arghhhhh! My New Bike😡😡

Decho

Region
United Kingdom
Well first time out on my (nearly) new 2022 Vado 4 and I accidentally knocked the Mastermind Display and one of the tabs has sheared off!
Gutted to say the least😟😟😟
it is rather flimsy and must happen a lot.
Does that mean a complete new display or can the circular bit on the back with the tabs be replaced. There seems to be 2 holes but not sure whether they are for tiny screws.
anybody found other solutions…like sticky Velcro on the back of the display and the bracket?
anyone know how much a new display costs
Great bike though, different from the previous model, going to be interested in what range I can get for this as opposed to the old model with 500 Wh battery.

The same happened to my older TCD-w display. I've used silicone glue to fix the thing. The silicone glue is elastic, handles vibration well, and it is possible to tear the display off again if a replacement of the internal battery is necessary. No experience with Mastermind display. If you want to sell your Vado later, it is perhaps to ask the dealer to order and install a new display for you?

The same thing happened to my wife’s Vado when she crashed. It’s about $300 to fix it because the wiring is attached to the part that broke and it all has to be removed and reinstalled in the bike.

I tried several types of double stick tape, and the only one thats worked is the Gorilla double stick tape. All the others I tried have popped loose after a couple days. The Gorilla tape is still holing after several long bumpy rides. I ordered it from Amazon, and was $11ish.

Your LBS will need to remove the tape and display to do updates. The double stick tape is easily removable and replaced.

If the main battery is removable, then disconnect it for a few hours. If when you reconnect the display still knows the time of day, it probably has an internal battery.

If the main battery is removable, then disconnect it for a few hours. If when you reconnect the display still knows the time of day, it probably has an internal battery.

or it has an internal capacitor in lieu of a battery and the associated bits required to allow replacement, making it maintenance free.

all that said, my recommendation would be to use 3M VHB tape to secure the display to the mount.

Last edited:
JB Weld is also a good 2-part epoxy for most things. Sets up slowly but works well. It dries grey so it might be a little ugly.

I was asking about the internal display battery as it was the norm in older displays.

I was asking about the internal display battery as it was the norm in older displays.
Did the older display require special super-small jeweler's screwdrivers to access that battery?

Because that's the only way you're getting inside the TCD-w, suggesting there's no user-serviceable internals.

Did the older display require special super-small jeweler's screwdrivers to access that battery?

Because that's the only way you're getting inside the TCD-w, suggesting there's no user-serviceable internals.
No, no. It is very easy to open the older TCD-w. If you say there is no apparent way to open the Mastermind (TCD-w2), let us assume there is no battery inside the new display.

I cannot see any way of replacing the battery on the TDC2, nor can I find any information on how to do it. I assume it has no battery and the power must come from the main battery. It also has a USB charging port so I assume the power from that also comes from the main battery. I wonder if gluing a small metal/plastic plate to the underside of the display to form new tabs on each side might work? I will try the sticky Velcro first as this will allow it to be removed if required. This is very strong and allow a little flex and also removable. A new display seems to cost 360€ so it’s worth finding a solution!

I cannot see any way of replacing the battery on the TDC2, nor can I find any information on how to do it. I assume it has no battery and the power must come from the main battery.

Disregard - the following is apparently incorrect.

I’ve recently read elsewhere that there is a button battery under this hatch. I’d investigate before making it permanently inaccessible.

76BDA102-75C2-451A-BB0A-09A9FB490554.jpeg

Last edited:
Back