I bought a Turbo Tero X 6.0, AMA

100 hours is the recommended service interval. I have no experience to know how strict that is. I do know I've been running the shock about 10% over its max pressure due to combined rider/bike weight to get the desired sag.
Are you riding technical singletracks? :) Ben, I'll tell you what. The full suspension of the (formerly mine) Giant Trance E+ has never been serviced for 3 1/2 year and trust me: my brother who has owned the e-bike for 2 1/2 years would have never missed the opportunity to dismantle and service the fork or the damper if he felt it were necessary...

100 hours? Ya, for a competing MTB rider maybe.

Total average rider power + motor power is usually around 300W. On my last ride looks like I did 450W up a hill and the bike would have added about 250W more in ECO for 700W total. That's not outside the capability of elite human riders. I can hit 650W but probably not all the way up that hill :)
I see. Personally, I think it really depends on the combined power. It is around 2,000 miles before I need to replace the chain on my Vado 6.0 but I think the combined power is lesser in my case currently.

Last edited:
100 hours is the recommended service interval. I have no experience to know how strict that is. I do know I've been running the shock about 10% over its max pressure due to combined rider/bike weight to get the desired sag.

Total average rider power + motor power is usually around 300W. On my last ride looks like I did 450W up a hill and the bike would have added about 250W more in ECO for 700W total. That's not outside the capability of elite human riders. I can hit 650W but probably not all the way up that hill :)
You run the rear shock at over 300psi? I know the rear shocks are different on the 5.0 and the 6.0 but I find on my 5 that I need to run my psi at about 220-230. I’m about 185lbs and that is a little higher than I’ve set rear shocks in the past to achieve 25-30% sag.

Are you riding technical singletracks?
Well I would have said no, but on my new chain's maiden voyage I kind of accidentally did. I'm not sure the seals in the shock/fork care how deep the bumps you hit are as much as they care about how many cycles they do. The witness rings on mine are usually sitting around 60-70% travel so the shock gets some action.
You run the rear shock at over 300psi?
The shock on the 6 is a RS-DLX-SELP-C1, max PSI is 360. You've got to do a lot of math to figure out PSI-to-weight on a shock since the leverage ratios vary depending on bike geometry (unlike the fork that is directly compressing). Rockshox has a calculator if you want to play with it. You'll need the model and the travel of the bike.

I ran it at about 400PSI, but I am losing weight so soon I might be inside factory specs. I rationalized it this way: The amount of air pressure internal to the shock that it takes to hold you up is going to be the same no matter how much air you put in. It will just change the sag. The true max pressure is when you bottom out the shock, which I never have. And if I blow out the seals, I can just rebuild it.

Well I would have said no, but on my new chain's maiden voyage I kind of accidentally did. I'm not sure the seals in the shock/fork care how deep the bumps you hit are as much as they care about how many cycles they do. The witness rings on mine are usually sitting around 60-70% travel so the shock gets some action.

The shock on the 6 is a RS-DLX-SELP-C1, max PSI is 360. You've got to do a lot of math to figure out PSI-to-weight on a shock since the leverage ratios vary depending on bike geometry (unlike the fork that is directly compressing). Rockshox has a calculator if you want to play with it. You'll need the model and the travel of the bike.

I ran it at about 400PSI, but I am losing weight so soon I might be inside factory specs. I rationalized it this way: The amount of air pressure internal to the shock that it takes to hold you up is going to be the same no matter how much air you put in. It will just change the sag. The true max pressure is when you bottom out the shock, which I never have. And if I blow out the seals, I can just rebuild it.
Typo, the 5 is also 360psi. I think the main difference is that the 6 has a lockout, the 5 does not. For the design goal of the Tero X these shocks are perfectly adequate.

Always using trail mode (75/75) in temperatures close to zero (0/5 degrees), what is your range? I am very disappointed, I can barely reach 50 km (32 miles). Only flat!

Is this normal?

Always using trail mode (75/75) in temperatures close to zero (0/5 degrees), what is your range? I am very disappointed, I can barely reach 50 km (32 miles). Only flat!

Is this normal?
I ride a Vado 6.0 during this winter. 75/75% assistance is very high, and combined with the low temperature, your range appears pretty normal.
My Vado has a little degraded 600 Wh battery. My range at only 40/40% assistance at -3 C was 55 km on 6th of January. Your assistance is a way higher, and the bigger battery won't compensate for that.

OK, I understand. And in summer (plus 20 degrees) how many km do you think I will get?
Certainly more. If I can remember correctly it was some 70 km with the same assistance. (The range was dramatically increasing with decreasing assistance).

My point is you probably do not need that much assistance as you are reporting unless you want to make your ride totally effortless.

Also Niko, is your cadence above 70 rpm? That affects the motor efficiency a lot. Are you in the green area on your Mastermind display?

Yes, my cadence is from 72 to 78 rpm, always in Green area. I am a little disappointed concerning range.. My estimate ( trail) was 60/70km in winter and over in the summer also because here there aren't climb.. Mha, bosch cx 750w in standard mode was better concerning battery consumption.. Did anyone install a range extender?

Did anyone install a range extender?
For a Tero X? It does not exist but you can buy a spare battery and carry it in a pannier.
Mha, bosch cx 750w in standard mode was better concerning battery consumption..
I am sure you did not ride the Bosch CX in such a high assistance mode (Bosch Trail is not the Specialized Trail; and you can set the assistance for the Tero in either the Specialized app or Mission Control or by MicroTune). 75% assistance is an overkill on the flat. For the record, I'm riding the full power Vado at 20/20% in the summer, 30/30% in the winter in calm conditions, 60/60% against winter gales, and 40/40% when I want to match healthy and strong roadies on group rides (my Vado 6.0 is 45 km/h so it can ride really fast). Vado is similar to Tero X in the terms of the motor.

When I first owned the Vado, I used to ride it at 70/70% to later discover it was a road to nowhere :) Necessary to mention, I have a medical condition of legs, making them very weak. Yet, I realized I did not need a massive assistance as my riding experience grew (11,000 km in 2023, half of that on a low power Vado SL).

I can recommend you set the assistance at high 50/50% and then test the range. You'd be really surprised!

Last edited:
Back