Are you telling me you are carrying the spare battery in a backpack?!

I got so excited by info from @Jimbo08 and you @Mike TowpathTraveler that I indeed ordered the e-Mate. That one will be used for my Turbo Vado.
Ortlieb Back Roller Plus will go for my touring Lovelec e-bike as I will need a lot of space for summer escapades. The Lovelec spare battery has two styrofoam cases for protecting each of battery ends and it will also reduce the wear of the pannier.

Unluckily, such solution is excluded in the case of low-step frames...

Stefan Mikes: I will assume you took measurements for your Vado battery first, before ordering! I've no idea the length of your Vado's battery; if it's a wee bit longer then the typical Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano or Bionix outside-mount batteries, you'll be fine. Here's a link to the E Mate specs: https://www.ortlieb.com/downloads/datasheet/en/emate.pdf

I bought 4 of these bags, last summer. Not so much to hold 4 batteries (though that possibility exists now into the future), but more to add a symetrical look to the bike with all 4 mounted versus running two of these in the back and maybe my granite gray/black Ortlieb Office Bags or BackRollers in the front......just a vain-glorious thing, I guess.

Another reason is that I found with Ortlieb that they will do a run of a bag design, say the QL2.1 Large Office Bag in say, Granite/Black or Hazel Brown/Black, then discontinue that color after a year or two. So, when I bought my 2.1 Office Bags in Granite/Black, I decided I liked the look and utility of them, so went to purchase two more of the pricey bags, only to find they were no longer produced in that color and none were to be found on the secondary ebay market.

The Emate is smartly designed to take the weight of that battery versus any other Ortlieb pannier. I could very well see ripping the bottom from my Office Bag after the bag absorbed one-too many hits from ruts on the trails or roadways.

Keep us informed as to how it works out for you.

Attachments

• 100_3813.JPG
    100_3813.JPG
    635.4 KB · Views: 648
  • 100_3315.JPG
    100_3315.JPG
    699.5 KB · Views: 583
Fits with lots of length room to spare. Unfortunately in their product description they do not list Specialized batteries, but it

Attachments

• B8950D7B-94D6-4BD2-945E-AAE926FD80BE.jpeg
    B8950D7B-94D6-4BD2-945E-AAE926FD80BE.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 566
  • 84A5AF38-525E-419A-B161-F3008A6D87DD.jpeg
    84A5AF38-525E-419A-B161-F3008A6D87DD.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 552
It fits with no problems and they give you a shoulder carry strap, extra shims for proper fit to rack top rail, and a securing strap in the bag stops any wobble. A proper piece of kit.

Unfortunately in their product description they do not list Specialized batteries
This video made me convinced, and the guy specifically mentions Specialized batteries (see him in a Specialized cap). He speaks German but English subtitles are there.
P.S. I got really irritated and ordered the e-Mate from a German online store. It is good to be in the EU.

Last edited:
Update: I ordered Ortlieb e-Mate pannier from Rosebikes in Germany, and the delivery ought to happen today. So excited! I'm almost sure the Vado 5.0 battery would fit, not sure about the long Lovelec battery. I will report.

UPDATE. I have got the e-Mate. Cute! I'm sure the Vado battery would fit on the vertical, not sure about the width and cannot check it as my Vado is now in servicing. I checked the long 16" Lovelec battery. It is so long it only fits on the longest diagonal and you can close the cover with some stretching. I think e-Mate is good for most of e-bike batteries.

Last edited:
I forgot to report that Ortlieb e-Mate pannier is in fact perfect for the Specialized Turbo Vado battery: other users say it is good for Bosch, Yamaha etc, too. The long battery of my other bike only fits in the large Ortlieb Back rRoller Plus pannier and that pannier is not reinforced for the battery, unluckily.

Last edited:
Ortlieb just put out a organizer type insert that I think is padded for the regular panniers

wondering if it would help with support for the bottom of the pannier carrying batteries...

I love those eMate bags but took the safety of the high vis panniers instead
wish they made the eMate in at least yellow if not high vis...

I will try to find that insert, it just came out

I agree, need to get at least one of these this week!

Looked high and low for something like this in the fall and found these but they had not come out yet, think they are just now available

Just got Ortlieb bags for all my bikes in the fall and was shocked that there was nothing like this around, cannot believe it took them so long to make something like it

I place it under the seat.

Would that seatbag setup work with a dropper post?

My bike has a KS dropper and they recommend not strapping anything to the upper stanchion. That is why I didn't go for a seatpost rack to hold the battery.

Back