Are you telling me you are carrying the spare battery in a backpack?!

yes but the insert sits pretty far down into my pannier, so the pannier will probably close above it fine, let me go back and looks at my pics to see how far down it sits

so looks like it sits even with the top of the stitched in inside pocket, maybe that helps you tell if there is enough room

and you could let the battery sit at an angle which should make it an inch or so shorter

think the main advantage of this insert is to maybe hold it in place somewhat and keep it from wearing a hole in the bottom of the bag..

Ah. You mean the insert is only to protect the bottom of the pannier against the battery weight. Now I understand.

well it does have 2 big pockets so it will keep it from falling forward also and it you put something tall next to it would probably keep it upright although sitting to an angle will lower the top height
so it secures it some and pads it some if the bike falls over but it is really designed for laptops, maybe a water bottle etc
it takes up the whole bag
my panniers are the high visibility back roller 20L if that helps

OK, guys. The Commuter Insert ordered. I also ordered the Camera Ultimate Insert. I use two Backroller Plus, so will be able to carry the spare battery in one pannier and my heavy DSLR camera (an hopefully some lenses) in the other.

Thank you for the advice!

hope it works for you

i just got an rei coupon that starts on the 20th and plan to order one more for the bagibike panniers...

pouring rain here now but will try to get some pics of the other battery in it tomorrow

I made a battery sleeve out of a foam sleeping pad and then attached the battery to my bike with a Salsa EXP handlebar cradle and viole straps. Works really well.
Great setup Doug. Very well thought out and you have just eliminated range anxiety in the most practical manner. I have to say I have never seen/heard of the cradle til now. Thanks sharing!

I would like to say warm Thank You for all of you, Forum friends, who recommended the Ortlieb Inserts to me!

These are fabulous. Not only reinforcing the bottom of the Ortlieb Back Roller Plus but also allowing to store many items in an organised way.

1584875257874.png

Ortlieb Commuter Inserts. The Setup 1, far from the ideal. The Vado battery in the bottom (the centre of gravity being very low), two bottles of beverages and a large wide-angle lens.

1584875394010.png

Ortlieb Commuter Inserts. The Setup 2: The Vado battery on the vertical, two water bottles, two camera lenses and a tripod (dismantled into two parts). I now keep bike tools in the pannier back pocket. There is still space above in the top soft part of the pannier into which more bottles and/or snacks could be packed. If I got rid off one of the water bottles, I could fit the large Tamron 70-200 mm f/2.8 telephoto zoom here. I could not carry the lens before because of the difficulties with organising the space in the otherwise soft pannier.

1584875801544.png

Ortlieb Camera insert in the second pannier. It can even fit my large Pentax K-1 camera with large and heavy Sigma A 35 mm f/1.4 lens. There is a lot of space left above. I can use it for storing surplus clothing on the trip.

Non-photographers would find use to carry for example a laptop or other items they need.

Again, thank you very much for the advice!

P.S. Interestingly, the couriers of InPost work on weekends now; I got the delivery to a parcel locker on Sunday. Apparently there is not much work for them in the times of the pest so they earn some money with the weekend deliveries. Courier services didn't deliver anything on weekends before here.

Last edited:
Sorry I am so long posting these pictures, believe this is a retention battery, it comes in right at 17 inches long

I have to put it at an angle in the taller part/laptop part and it still sticks up 2 to 2 1/2 inches above that
hope this helps
969C8D66-E2E3-4BF4-83AA-BA36DD15E2FB.jpeg
CB805993-B432-4AD3-9699-4C0C4BB3A4CB.jpeg
6017B2CB-7755-493A-AA91-443C91164D93.jpeg

Friends,

I fell in love with the pair of Ortlieb Bike-Packer panners (you buy them in pairs) when I got the delivery today. The pannier is just sized ideally for my needs.

In case you stiffen the pannier with the Ortlieb Commuter Inserts, the pannier will fit as many as three 46 cm (18 in) long narrow batteries or two Vado ones. There is still space left for a water bottle. You can pack some spare clothes into the flap cover. The cover is waterproof and -- once closed -- makes the pannier an elegant and compact unit.

By comparison, the Ortlieb Back Roller Plus pannier is far more roomy but more difficult to organise, even with the Commuter Inserts. That pannier is too flexible and you have to roll the top part to close the bag.

The Ortlieb E-mate is beautiful, stiff and compact. However, the long battery wouldn't fit, and a single Vado battery fits but with difficulty. I use the E-mate for carrying my camera, several lenses, a wallet and some snacks.

1586433595118.png

Last edited:
Great write up, I will have to check the bike packer panniers out, did not realize they were stiffer than the back roller

I got the high vis back rollers and I really like the color for safety, not sure if the bike packer comes in the high vis

I also considered the bike packers, but what I like about the eMate is that it has a fully reinforced bracing all over the bag.

I do mountain biking, and was worried that banging down a trail at speed would cause the battery to tear a hole through the bottom of a non-braced Ortlieb bag. The eMate is also braced along the backside of the panniere, which helps protect the battery from smacking into the rack on a bumpy descent.

Then again, my battery does fit neatly into the eMate.

I couple the eMate with the Velo-Shopper (also fully braced) and think it is a good combination.

I also considered the bike packers, but what I like about the eMate is that it has a fully reinforced bracing all over the bag.
That's why I recommend the Commuter Inserts! The Insert fills the bottom of the pannier, making it strong.

I got the high vis back rollers and I really like the color for safety, not sure if the bike packer comes in the high vis
No, Vincent, it doesn't. It is either red-black or black or navy or petrol. I chose the navy ones since they match my bikes' 😊 colours. Yes, they have a reflective insert at their rear side.

Is it a hard bracing, or a foam bracing on the inserts?

How do you keep the battery from shaking around in the insert?
The Insert is made of thick nylon and is by no means rigid itself. When you insert it into a Back Roller/Bike-Packer/Velo-Shopper, the whole structure becomes pleasantly stiff. When the battery is inside the Insert, it behaves like a hand in a thick glove. Friction makes the battery stay in place. When the bike rides over some bumps, the shock is absorbed by the Insert and the battery doesn't shake at all.

In case you carry only a battery in the Insert, you may want to place the battery diagonally; then the friction makes the battery very stable. If you put some water bottles and maybe a piece of clothing together with the battery, it will stay in place indefinitely.

The whole thing is an engineering marvel and it is hard to me to explain why that's so good. Will post some pictures when the night is over here. Enough to say I've made two metric centuries and two 50 mile rides with the Commuter Insert inside the Back Roller Plus, carrying spare battery (the Lovelec Diadem or Vado one) over variety of surfaces (including rough crushed stone), jumping from the curb too, and the rides were comfortable and safe. The experience changed from poor (before the Insert was used) to fantastic (the Insert in).

The Ultimate Presentation of The Ortlieb Commuter Inserts

1586605289066.png

The simplest setup: A single Vado battery in the rather flat but tall "laptop" part of the Insert. It is my choice for the maximum battery stability on the ride. However, the battery can also be placed in the shorter by deeper part of the Inserts without any adverse effects.

1586605499241.png

The Inserts with the battery inside an Ortlieb Bike-Packer pannier.

1586605590035.png

Now, two batteries (a short and a long one), waterproof pants, a wallet and two water bottles.

1586605714890.png

Upping the ante: The long battery out and a large telephoto 70-200 mm f/2.8 zoom lens fitted instead.

1586605873981.png

If I wanted to put the items as in the previous photo to a pannier, the Bike-Packer would do. If I, however, want to stuff the pannier with a photographic tripod in addition, it has to be the Back Roller Plus (it is taller).

1586606038520.png

Done!

If anyone would like to see how to use the shorter and deeper part of the inserts, I can take more photos 😊

Last edited:
Back