Are you telling me you are carrying the spare battery in a backpack?!

Tested a specialized turbo creo sl carbon comp evo yesterday (wtf with these names!). One of the coolest parts of the Creo design is their tiny (160kwh) range extender batteries designed to fit into a water bottle cage. They are small but carry-on legal and quick to swap in the field. Anyway, another guy had just ordered 8 extra batteries with the intention of carrying ALL of them for some very long rides. That's 16 pounds of batteries and about 2600 KW/h he intends to stash somewhere on the bike. Nearly 300 kWh if you include the built in battery. Makes me wonder if he picked the right bike for this trip.

Tested a specialized turbo creo sl carbon comp evo yesterday (wtf with these names!). One of the coolest parts of the Creo design is their tiny (160kwh) range extender batteries designed to fit into a water bottle cage. They are small but carry-on legal and quick to swap in the field. Anyway, another guy had just ordered 8 extra batteries with the intention of carrying ALL of them for some very long rides. That's 16 pounds of batteries and about 2600 KW/h he intends to stash somewhere on the bike. Nearly 300 kWh if you include the built in battery. Makes me wonder if he picked the right bike for this trip.

Maybe 2 in a jacket, 4 in a seatbag, 1 on the downtube , and the 8th on a rear rack 😉?

He would have 1280wh+340wh= 1720wh, 1.7kw.
I would have gotten the Trek Domane +HP , which has 1KW already and can fast charge it @6.3-6.4amps ! Much lighter like that then carrying 8xtra 160wh batteries.

2600 KW/h? 300 kWh?

Really?

I think your units are off by factors of 100 or more. 8 160wh batteries is 1280wh, which is not bad. The numbers you are throwing around are numbers that are vastly larger than full-on electric cars have -- the Tesla Model S typically comes in configurations with 75kwh-100kwh batteries. 2600kwh is just insane.

Might be best to mount an extra battery as low as possible and avoid a top heavy, ill handling bike? My spare one is going to be mounted on the down tube as low as practical. I'm not sure why people are stressing about a battery getting wet. I ride my eBike in the rain and never have any issues. There are times when a car gets a ton of water in the engine compartment, on the battery, etc and nothing happens.

The only time I might be concerned about this sort of thing is when your new toaster with AI follows you into the bathroom and hops into the tub with you.

I ordered one of those Ortlieb pannier inserts from rei, supposed to be here Thursday, will update this on how it fits etc

planning to see how it does with my 14ah wattwagon battery and the retention on my bagibike

will post back some pictures etc if it not a complete fail

think the ww batteries are bigger than the bosch and yamaha but not by a huge amount

either way should help organize stuff in them

want something that keeps them from wearing a hole in the bottom of the pannier..

2600 KW/h? 300 kWh?

Really?

I think your units are off by factors of 100 or more. 8 160wh batteries is 1280wh, which is not bad. The numbers you are throwing around are numbers that are vastly larger than full-on electric cars have -- the Tesla Model S typically comes in configurations with 75kwh-100kwh batteries. 2600kwh is just insane.

Man you are right. Somehow doubled the value then to top it off rounded up when adding the builtin and dropped a zero (and yeah, wh no kWh). Hope no-one I know sees this funky math.

Last edited:
got some pics of my shark battery in the ortlieb insert, the yamaha battery is the same length so wont fit much different
IMG_1731.jpg

this is thinly padded but think it will work pretty good, neither battery will fit in the lower compartment horizontal, they are too long

i will put it in one compartment and add something tall beside it to hold it still

these are emv3 shark batteries, i dont know if they are jumbos or not

I ordered one of those Ortlieb pannier inserts from rei, supposed to be here Thursday, will update this on how it fits etc
Could you give the exact name of the Ortlieb insert @vincent? I found that the Vado battery does not exactly fit the Ortlieb E-Mate pannier. That is, you can fit the battery there and even close the flap but the Vado battery is perhaps an inch too long for the perfect fit.

What is the length, width and depth of the insert?

Here is the link, of course no measurements

I will try to get some measurements etc tonite or tomorrow
Ortlieb does a lousy job on their advertising and measurements etc

I know they make good bags but that was one thing that almost turned me completely off their products
Aggravating to see lousy product presentation in this day and age

This is the one from their actual site and it does list some measurements

pictures of it in use rather than people sitting in a coffee shop next to it would be way more helpful
But at the bottom of this page there are more specs

My guess is the longer batteries are narrower and will fit in the laptop part but stick out the top, but that the pannier will close around it fine

meant to try my bagibike battery in it and take some pics but forgot, will try to do that tomorrow
Think that is a retention battery but not positive

Back