Are you going to ride in snow?

I guess it's almost time to revive this thread. With Halloween a week away we're going to have the white stuff again soon in this part of the world. Ice Spikers are ready to go back on and I'm shopping for a Snow Boarding/Skiing helmet.

I probably don't really need it, as my beanie and Fox Pro helmet seem to work OK, but I am still sort of interested in one of these; K2 Phase and Anon Invert

It's weird I know, but I am kind of looking forward to my winter rides, it's been a strange last few months and I have been pretty disconnected from these forums.
As was often quoted in G.O.T. "Winter is Coming..."

Doesn't even have to be early ice/snow ... we've had some big dumps of leaves with rain right afterwards. I've had a few minor loss of traction events that had me thinking "do I need to put the studs on early?" 😁 It might also just be mother nature's way of reminding us to start practicing our slippery condition skills. Fortunately the leaves break down really fast so there will still be a month or so before the winter tires really might be needed.

I'm also considering some new "lid" options. I currently get by with a fleece balaclava and a traditional MTB helmet with a rain cover. The other winter clothing upgrade is probably going to be some pogies instead of continually trying to get even warmer (but harder to manipulate) gloves.

Doesn't even have to be early ice/snow ... we've had some big dumps of leaves with rain right afterwards. I've had a few minor loss of traction events that had me thinking "do I need to put the studs on early?" 😁 It might also just be mother nature's way of reminding us to start practicing our slippery condition skills. Fortunately the leaves break down really fast so there will still be a month or so before the winter tires really might be needed.

I'm also considering some new "lid" options. I currently get by with a fleece balaclava and a traditional MTB helmet with a rain cover. The other winter clothing upgrade is probably going to be some pogies instead of continually trying to get even warmer (but harder to manipulate) gloves.
At the risk of repeating myself ,maybe some elbow and knee pads for frosty days. Perhaps even a lid with a chin guard.

I'm trying to get earpads for my Abus Pedelec 2.0. They exist, but Abus' website won't show me any dealers in the US. I've emailed the company in Germany. https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Bike-helmets/Helmet-Accessories/Pedelec-2.0-Earpads-black No price, no way to order. I was going to make my own, out of lambskin, because I have some, but then I noticed there are slots in the helmet that clearly are for add-ons. Any ideas where I can get these earpads in the US?

I'm trying to get earpads for my Abus Pedelec 2.0. They exist, but Abus' website won't show me any dealers in the US. I've emailed the company in Germany. https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Bike-helmets/Helmet-Accessories/Pedelec-2.0-Earpads-black No price, no way to order. I was going to make my own, out of lambskin, because I have some, but then I noticed there are slots in the helmet that clearly are for add-ons. Any ideas where I can get these earpads in the US?
I cannot help you with that but I would not ride a summer helmet in the winter (I do own an Abus helmet myself).
Snowboarding or skiing helmets are proper for the wintertime (unless you live in a relatively warm area).
1635265277610.png

Before he started riding e-bikes, my brother has never been riding in the wintertime. Now, as he discovered the benefits of e-bike commuting, he got prepared for the cold season. As he used to ski in the past, he had the proper helmet and matching goggles in his wardrobe...

I'm not going to ride in snowy weather, or when it is really cold, but I would like to have my ears be warmer and have less wind noise. That's why I am looking for earpads for my helmet.

I'm not going to ride in snowy weather, or when it is really cold, but I would like to have my ears be warmer and have less wind noise. That's why I am looking for earpads for my helmet.
I´ve had my ration of snow. ...& icy roads,..& people clueless as to drive in it. If ya make it to work,
ya still gotta dig down 4 ft, just to set up scaffold. Yup, I´ve seen lotsa snow.

Just heard from Abus in Germany, that the earpads are not available in the US, and he doesn't have any anyway that he could just send me. Shame.

Ha! I actually gave my Republican husband an authentic ushanka for Christmas one year, complete with hammer and sickle 😁! But really, if I need that level of warmth, then it is too cold to be biking.

I guess it's almost time to revive this thread. With Halloween a week away we're going to have the white stuff again soon in this part of the world. Ice Spikers are ready to go back on and I'm shopping for a Snow Boarding/Skiing helmet.

I probably don't really need it, as my beanie and Fox Pro helmet seem to work OK, but I am still sort of interested in one of these; K2 Phase and Anon Invert

It's weird I know, but I am kind of looking forward to my winter rides, it's been a strange last few months and I have been pretty disconnected from these forums.
As was often quoted in G.O.T. "Winter is Coming..."
Snow was in the forecast here today but it never materialized. In fact it was sunny and a balmy 5C. Managed to get the Ice Spikers mounted to the other set of wheels just in case. Looks like the trails will be dry for at least another solid week or more. 👍
IMG_20211029_1958368.jpg

Back