Are you going to ride in snow?

Yeah, but not for my needs, for riding in real cold and snow I use wind/rain pants and winter boots. I love tall gaiters for snow shoeing and such but not for heavy rain or use on the bike as I'm not off road MTB riding. In this case I just want to improve the water protection and maybe the warmth in a pair of SPD attached shoes/boots. One is a heavier leather low cut sneaker like MTB shoe and the other is a mid height Shimano MTB boot. In both cases the tongue area leaks a bit when the shoes are subjected to heavier rain and the spray coming off of the front wheel (even with an effective extension to the front fender).

Adding traditional "booties" seem to work but they are a real PITA to use, they fit too tight on these shoes/boots as they're designed to go over smaller road bike shoes and they cover up the tread (making it suicidal putting a foot down in slippery conditions). So I've been looking for something like a low/mid gaiter that retains all the functionality of the existing shoes/boots, is easy on/off, relatively unobtrusive, but also has a long tongue area to keep the rain off all of the laces, and adds some warmth/wind protection around the ankles and top of the foot.

Those Kahtoola INSTAgaiters are close, they may work with perhaps a small additional extension in the tongue area. They seem to be long enough to keep water from rolling down the boot onto the laces and adding a semi rigid extension will keep water from being blown up under the front tip of the gaiter.

Yeah, but not for my needs, for riding in real cold and snow I use wind/rain pants and winter boots. I love tall gaiters for snow shoeing and such but not for heavy rain or use on the bike as I'm not off road MTB riding. In this case I just want to improve the water protection and maybe the warmth in a pair of SPD attached shoes/boots. One is a heavier leather low cut sneaker like MTB shoe and the other is a mid height Shimano MTB boot. In both cases the tongue area leaks a bit when the shoes are subjected to heavier rain and the spray coming off of the front wheel (even with an effective extension to the front fender).

Adding traditional "booties" seem to work but they are a real PITA to use, they fit too tight on these shoes/boots as they're designed to go over smaller road bike shoes and they cover up the tread (making it suicidal putting a foot down in slippery conditions). So I've been looking for something like a low/mid gaiter that retains all the functionality of the existing shoes/boots, is easy on/off, relatively unobtrusive, but also has a long tongue area to keep the rain off all of the laces, and adds some warmth/wind protection around the ankles and top of the foot.

Those Kahtoola INSTAgaiters are close, they may work with perhaps a small additional extension in the tongue area. They seem to be long enough to keep water from rolling down the boot onto the laces and adding a semi rigid extension will keep water from being blown up under the front tip of the gaiter.
I was also looking for a pair of full coverage waterproof overshoes to fit my SPD touring/MTB shoes back in March and came across this Danish based shop which specializes in footwear protection. Even though I never made a purchase, the fellow who responded to my email was kind enough to recommend an appropriate choice of overshoe based on the type of shoe that I wore and my foot size. He suggested the following options which were designed to work with wider/bulkier/everyday shoes and the open tread design on all of their covers is also a nice feature. Price point puts them on par with most products here.

https://www.gripgrab.com/collections/shoe-covers/products/ride-waterproof-shoe-cover

https://www.gripgrab.com/collections/shoe-covers/products/dryfoot

These winter covers look like they would also fit bulkier shoes.

https://www.gripgrab.com/collections/shoe-covers/products/ride-winter-shoe-cover

I was on a ride today. -3 C and symbolic amount of snow. Was riding Marathon Winter Plus on my Vado SL.
As I can see, skiing/snowboarding attire (except skiing boots) is adequate for winter cycling!

I was on a ride today. -3 C and symbolic amount of snow. Was riding Marathon Winter Plus on my Vado SL.
As I can see, skiing/snowboarding attire (except skiing boots) is adequate for winter cycling!
That's how I look at. I add a good pair of gore tex waterproof insulated hiking boot and I'm good for whatever Mn can throw my way.

Gators are such a PIA. Get a good pair of snowpants with an elastic cuff built in and pull it down over your boots. I ride a lot of deep snow and never have a problem.

We make the best of them.

1638814912049.png

Not to derail the thread @ruffruff but there is a region similar to MN in Poland, too :)

1638816916224.png

You would feel in Suwałki like at home! :D

Last edited:
New shoe/boot covers/gaiters ...

Thanks to Prairie Dog for the suggestions about Grip Grab products. I found one that seems to be suitable - https://www.gripgrab.com/collections/shoe-covers/products/dryfoot-waterproof-everyday-shoe-covers-2

Despite their name these particular ones are designed to go over more aggressive MTB shoes. So I took a chance and ordered them. Pricing is indeed "on par" with others and the shipping charges were IMHO more than fair - 7 euros to my door. They were delivered by FedEx at my end (and in only 7 days including the weekend). They ship in a soft envelope/package and there's no indication of additional brokerage or custom's fees.

These are made from a heavier nylon like fabric with a rubberized interior. They are not insulated (the insulated Grip Grab "winter" shoe covers are designed to fit over road bike shoes). They use a wide "Velcro" (hook/loop) strip for closure (up the back and with two extended tabs). The stitching all seems robust and properly executed (nothing initially coming apart). This wide Velcro strip usually takes a few attempts to get it closed up without gaps and relatively smooth.

The only area that I initially would like to see changed is the position of the elastic attachment under the foot of the cover. I think it should be moved back towards the heel a bit so it sits more into the arched area of a shoe. This would mean less wear as you wouldn't walk directly on it. This elastic attachment is quite thick and robust, a bit rough (good) but relatively simply sewn so I can see it being fairly easy to move if I get the desire to do so before it wears. Hand sewing this heavier material won't however be that simple, it will take strong fingers and a heavy needle ... but it should be possible.

Overall the design appears to work out well. They fit over my MTB boots snugly without requiring too much extra effort when putting them on. They appear totally water resistant/proof and are certainly wind proof and they cover everything important so I should have more comfy feet in wet and cold conditions.

I’ve been struggling to find a true fitting balaclava to accommodate my smallish head. Most are either to large or end up sagging after riding in the cold or freezing solid from the moisture produced from my breath. It now appears that a Rockbros ½ mask balaclava/neck gaiter purchased online last year that I initially thought wasn’t going to fit, ended up to be the best workable solution when combined in tandem with a merino skull cap. The RB breathing port uses a larger aperture mesh allowing more moisture to escape and the fleece material around it remains soft and pliable unlike a Seirus mask which froze solid as a result of the neoprene material around the entire area of the mouth and nose. There was no sagging either and my goggles fit comfortably over it without obstructing my nose. Just happy that I missed the return window on this one.

713GNLovasL._AC_UX679_.jpgIMG_20211214_2134051.jpgIMG_20211214_2129345.jpgIMG_20211214_1607041.jpg

Last edited:
Now you're a proper Winter e-biker Art! :) It is very interesting what you're saying. My Rebelhorn Active balaclava model sports very good breathing port while it is somehow harder to breathe in the Freeze model (the breathing port is there, too). However, the warmer model is more tight, flattening my nose a little :D You mention a Seirus mask: I own a similar Rogelli balaclava that I don't use because that one makes me suffocate!

Now you're a proper Winter e-biker Art! :) It is very interesting what you're saying. My Rebelhorn Active balaclava model sports very good breathing port while it is somehow harder to breathe in the Freeze model (the breathing port is there, too). However, the warmer model is more tight, flattening my nose a little :D You mention a Seirus mask: I own a similar Rogelli balaclava that I don't use because that one makes me suffocate!
Great value too at $16 but like most online bargains it appears to be discontinued/sold out.

Absolutely, but I have a fat tire DK200 that is designed for off road snow and sand.

I have a sled I can use to take my 60 pound dog along on adventures and I am looking forward to trying it out in snow.

1200 watts and 95 NM torque should do the trick!

IMG_20211214_104732845.jpg

Back