Are you going to ride in snow?

We're starting to see forecasts of potential snow showers 7-10 days out. This early in the season and during the day time that's usually just rain and maybe a little sleet with only the occasional snow flake sighting. I'll probably be looking at swapping over to snow tires towards the end of November, but I need to be careful. Normally riding on narrow summer tires can also get you through a bit of wet snow before you have to go to the studs. Now with the ebike I'm riding a wider summer tire (with very little actual tread) so the switch over may need to occur a bit sooner.

The other consideration is that more of our MUPs/shared urban trails are now paved. On crushed rock the adhesion is generally better even with a fair amount of snow and ice (especially with narrower tires). On new pavement even a little snow can make for less traction that will catch you out.

It snowed here yesterday, and it's still cool but rideable with normal tires. Not going to out today, but maybe tomorrow. Bike setup will be normal, but clothing will have to be different. Forecast for next weekend is back up to 16C during the day, but in this part of the world, you don't generally give weather forecasts that much credence.

Wow, that might be a good opportunity to head down to Calgary and ride the Nose if it’s going to be that warm. We’re only expected to reach 6C.

Wow, that might be a good opportunity to head down to Calgary and ride the Nose if it’s going to be that warm. We’re only expected to reach 6C.
Haha, the forecast has changed again. Let's touch base later in the week and see. I haven't ridden in about a month and need to get out.

Haha, the forecast has changed again. Let's touch base later in the week and see. I haven't ridden in about a month and need to get out.
1635617788839.png

Yup - it's Alberta...

I'm trying to get earpads for my Abus Pedelec 2.0. They exist, but Abus' website won't show me any dealers in the US. I've emailed the company in Germany. https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Bike-helmets/Helmet-Accessories/Pedelec-2.0-Earpads-black No price, no way to order. I was going to make my own, out of lambskin, because I have some, but then I noticed there are slots in the helmet that clearly are for add-ons. Any ideas where I can get these earpads in the US?
I too am looking for those elusive ear pads for my helmet. I do see them online in the UK but nowhere in the US.

I'm trying to get earpads for my Abus Pedelec 2.0. They exist, but Abus' website won't show me any dealers in the US. I've emailed the company in Germany. https://mobil.abus.com/uk/on-road/Bike-helmets/Helmet-Accessories/Pedelec-2.0-Earpads-black No price, no way to order. I was going to make my own, out of lambskin, because I have some, but then I noticed there are slots in the helmet that clearly are for add-ons. Any ideas where I can get these earpads in the US?
I have a Lazer Urban helmet that came with ear covers and a device to block some of the air flow during the winter. It also comes with a clear face shield (visor). I think the winter accessories are now sold separately but they at least exist.

I've never bothered with helmet specific ear covers ... I've always just used a thin head band when the temps drop much below 7C. I've got a few head bands with a slight edge to them so they seal quite well around the bottom of my ears. The trade off is looking for thin head bands so they aren't a problem under a helmet but still provide good wind protection. The really cheap ones made of just thin slabs of microfiber don't seem to work well (my ear lobes get cold, and there's more wind noise). My helmet has a rain cover on it all winter so I usually don't bother with a beanie, just the head band.

Here's an example of a headband that works for me - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5023-727/Calefaction-Headband?colour=BK000

I also use a thin or just slightly "fluffy" full face balaclava when it's cold enough to bother my face, and then if it gets really cold add the thin head band again (and can easily be added during a ride if the conditions change). This gives me the surface protection from the wind, the extra insulation around my ears. and still not too much insulation on top of my head so there can be a bit of heat exhaustion.

I have since 2014 but NEVER continued on hard pack snow and ice. I did ride more than a few times with my studded tires, but I'm at an age that prevents rapid recovery. My last fall has made me rethink when I will ride. From now on only on cleared streets and paths. And while I typically ride sans helmet, I ALWAYS wear one in the winter. Cagers don't expect bicycles much less eBikes traveling at twice typical acoustic speeds in the bitter cold. Snowboard helmet and goggles for winter rides.

Balaclava.
Screen Shot 2021-11-05 at 10.22.06 AM.png

Last edited:
This Giro 9 helmet is what I wore last winter even when it dropped to -35C and I teamed it up with heated glove and boot liners. At that time, I was riding my vintage rigid Trek 970.
IMG_20201108_1243092.jpgIMG_20210130_1140191.jpg

Biking on ice and snow is fine as long as your ride is equipped with right tires. This season I’ve switched to Ice Spikers which sport more studs than 45N Wrathchilds that I rode on last winter.

Last edited:
Today marks our first true snowfall of the season. Nothing significant though. Current conditions are likely overkill for studs but might be too slick for the conventional knobby mtb tires to get to the trails. I’ll likely install the winter studded wheels/fenders today and wait until tomorrow when the temperature is forecast to dip below freezing. Should be interesting.

IMG_20211115_1015111.jpg

Today marks our first true snowfall of the season. Nothing significant though. Current conditions are likely overkill for studs but might be too slick for the conventional knobby mtb tires to get to the trails. I’ll likely install the winter studded wheels/fenders today and wait until tomorrow when the temperature is forecast to dip below freezing. Should be interesting.
It's the first significant snow (5+ cms) in northern NB today too. Fortunately nothing but warm and wet here in the southern half. My conditions likely also won't warrant studs for a while but I've had to transition from my fair weather tires (Strada USH) just in case . Ideally I could ride plain knobbies for a while but there's no way I want to change tires 3x a year. This is one of the reasons for my choice of 45nrth Kahvas ... they combine a reasonably aggressive tread with studs, so they handle a wide variety of fall/winter conditions. It's also the reason that the Schwalbe line of tires don't work well for me (I need something in between their Winter or Winter Marathons and Ice Spikers in 27.5/650b).

Ice Spikers back on. Each tire change is getting faster. If it was warmer, it might have been a bit faster, but pretty happy with 35 minutes for both.
The 35 minutes including water bath testing the inner tube from the front - I replaced the rear as I had a slow leak that I struggled to find last spring when the Ice Spikers came off, and the Johnny Watts went on.

I really enjoyed riding last winter and looking forward to getting out. I've picked up a few products to make winter rides a bit more comfortable, including a K2 Snowboarding/Skiing helmet, and some snow gaiters.

With the helmet with the integrated liner, the extremely loud tires (while on pavement) will be a bit more tolerable. Mind you, I have about 6 studs to replace - which is really good I think.

I really enjoyed riding last winter and looking forward to getting out. I've picked up a few products to make winter rides a bit more comfortable, including a K2 Snowboarding/Skiing helmet, and some snow gaiters.
I've been thinking that some gaiters would be very helpful too. I'm looking for a gaiter cut lower - like ankle gaiters, waterproof (and bonus if they're lightly insulated too), fit over size 11/45 MTB shoes, and most importantly include a long tongue cover with a lace hook so that all the laces are covered ... oh and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So far I've found really cheap ones on Amazon but they only come in a smaller size. What looks good are the Giro Alpineduro Rain Gaiters but these are a) a bit expensive and b) appear to be discontinued and now the old stock around seems to in S or M sizes.

I've been thinking that some gaiters would be very helpful too. I'm looking for a gaiter cut lower - like ankle gaiters, waterproof (and bonus if they're lightly insulated too), fit over size 11/45 MTB shoes, and most importantly include a long tongue cover with a lace hook so that all the laces are covered ... oh and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So far I've found really cheap ones on Amazon but they only come in a smaller size. What looks good are the Giro Alpineduro Rain Gaiters but these are a) a bit expensive and b) appear to be discontinued and now the old stock around seems to in S or M sizes.
Not the cheapest, but MEC has these and they usually have quality stuff and excellent return and warranty policies:

Not the cheapest, but MEC has these and they usually have quality stuff and excellent return and warranty policies:
Just be aware that those might fit on the small size. I ended up sending the mid versions back due to the fact they wouldn’t fit over my boots. I continue to use an older pair of MH gaiters that have Velcro closures at the front that seal really well and are easy to put on as they don’t use zippers. The top strap/clasp can be cinched to fit and doesn’t slide down during rides. These taller versions also work great during spring rides as they shield muck/grime from spraying up on your pants.

IMG_20201111_1037253.jpg

I would probably look for something similar to the OR Verglas when it comes time to replace my aging gaiters.

I got these (yet to be tested):

Much better! 👍You’ll appreciate the added protection that the taller gaiters provide plus they'll add an extra layer of warmth on those colder days.

Back