Are you going to ride in snow?

I could never understand those motocross bikers damaging the trails... Have you ever tried pedalling your e-motorcycle without assistance?
Stefan, Where is there any discussion or example of trail damage in Solarcabin's post? From this one post you have no idea how Solarcabin rides and appear to be making a judgement based on what he owns, not how he conducts himself.

He's also not riding an e-motorcycle. At best you might describe his DK200 as a scooter or moped style ebike ... but it's not an e-motorcycle. In his posts in other threads he clearly normally rides a very typical ebike (and not even a serious MTB style one) on off road trails and his post here shows what he's going to use in rough off road conditions.

Stefan, Where is there any discussion or example of trail damage in Solarcabin's post? From this one post you have no idea how Solarcabin rides and appear to be making a judgement based on what he owns, not how he conducts himself.

He's also not riding an e-motorcycle. At best you might describe his DK200 as a scooter or moped style ebike ... but it's not an e-motorcycle. In his posts in other threads he clearly normally rides a very typical ebike (and not even a serious MTB style one) on off road trails and his post here shows what he's going to use in rough off road conditions.
What is the maximum power limit for an e-bike by the U.S. federal law?
I don't want to discuss the obvious, thank you very much.

I hear Minnesotans know their winters!
Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 7.57.12 PM.png

1639879331551.png

I had to look at them to see if they had a name on them. I bought them at a local outdoor store called Gander Mountain, no longer in business here. No name, here's a pic I just took.

View attachment 73905

They are very much like these:

I see Amazon has them and so do many of our home centers here.
Thank you for this recommendation @J.R. I ordered a pair of Ergodyne cleats and wore them this morning where they helped me push my bike through frozen snowmelt
IMG_4755.jpg

Nice today (-5C) but the high tomorrow is -15C. Below average snow so far this winter, just over 40cm total and less than 20cm accumulated snow depth (what's on the ground).

Despite that (and possibly because of it) I still have to fight with the city about how often the city wide MUPs are being cleared.
We just had a light 2cm snowfall overnight, after a good 10cm snowfall on Tuesday (everywhere else in the eastern part of Canada got the 30-40cms). After plowing the MUPs normally have a hard packed aprox 1cm surface that stays until it melts during the next thaw cycle (which normally occurs ever 2 weeks or so). So instead we now have a very soft multi cm surface with lots of ridges and build ups and a nice snow bank at every street crossing from the plows clearing the streets and sidewalks. If we had the 2cms over cleared pavement surfaces none of this would be an issue.

Me (to the City) - "last night was enough snow to warrant plowing my street again, to get rid of the ridges and accumulated areas" (not a question I had to shovel out the front of my driveway this morning)
City - Yes
Me - "And it was enough to warrant clearing the sidewalks again?"
City - Yes, but it wasn't a priority. (It would be a priority after 4+cms)
Me - But you aren't going to clear the cross town multi use trails?
City - No, well yes we're not planning to as not enough snow has fallen. (and there's that 4cm number again)
Me - "It doesn't matter how much or little snow has fallen, just plow the path to keep it conditioned and the street crossings clear ... just like you do with the streets".
City - We'll take it under advisement. You should come to the next meeting and bring up snow clearing. (it's almost always on the agenda)

Me - (to myself ... sigh, I don't think I'll be doing that again as I've been there done that (multiple times) and even have the stupid T shirt with nothing to show for it)

@mclewis1: It looks like a universal story.

My female friend commutes daily to her work, and she reports the status to the city. She has recently reported snow on a bike path, and a fallen road-sign (that was laying across the bike path).

The city responded:
-- "We are changing the reporting status to 'snow on a bike path' (not a priority)"
-- "Oh yes, the fallen road-sign is important" (not because it is laying across a bike path).

@mclewis1: It looks like a universal story.

My female friend commutes daily to her work, and she reports the status to the city. She has recently reported snow on a bike path, and a fallen road-sign (that was laying across the bike path).

The city responded:
-- "We are changing the reporting status to 'snow on a bike path' (not a priority)"
-- "Oh yes, the fallen road-sign is important" (not because it is laying across a bike path).
Yes, and that's actually easy to understand (if you think like the city) ...
Falling off and a possible injury from "snow on the path" or other obstruction = your fault.
But a fallen road sign could lead to the city being possibly/partially responsible in the event of an accident.

There is a totally different situation in a small town/borough I live in now. The Mayor wants to be popular & re-elected. He knows how many cyclists are here, and anybody who doesn't own a car must ride a bike because of the distances in the area. So we get bike paths cleared of snow daily here and I really do not complain!

Is this a real question? Riding in winter conditions, it's the best ! I find it wayyy more fun than summer riding.
And biting it hard, is much more cushy in the snow than the dirt. A set of Wrathchild's, good winter wear, a 1000 watt battery and, see ya !
I don't have snow here but it looks fun, I need to try it

Back