Are We Condemned to Strava?

I do not know Komoot enough. Is it true you need to buy access to at least one Region to really enjoy that service? Will try to look to Komoot deeper.
There is free region available. Also you can unlock the region bundle or global region via single-time payment (see here for available options). However their premium subscription adds pretty much nothing valuable for me, so I just bought the world region and using it (see here for World Pack / Region Pack vs. Premium comparison). Komoot is Europe-based, so technically their coverage of Europe should be great (definitely not worse than US-based RideWithGPS).

Total number of trails over 10 miles found ?
ZERO.

Yes, their US maps are not great - as I said above, they are Europe-based company and their main focus are European cyclists. However it is getting better - I am in NYC suburbs area and after recent update their maps are pretty usable for route planning.

There is free region available. Also you can unlock the region bundle or global region via single-time payment (see here for available options). However their premium subscription adds pretty much nothing valuable for me, so I just bought the world region and using it (see here for World Pack / Region Pack vs. Premium comparison).
Many of my gravel riding buddies confirm what you are say about Komoot as the service is becoming increasingly popular here.
Komoot is Europe-based, so technically their coverage of Europe should be great (definitely not worse than US-based RideWithGPS).
The accuracy of a route planner greatly depends on the maps selected by the developer; in this respect, RideWithGPS is excellent for Europe. There is another matter, which is how well a route planner can meet your desires and type of ride (like "road cycling, e-bike"). RWGPS is devoid of the "ride type" option!

I am planning a Double Metric Century route from my near neighbourhood to a location near the city of Toruń where my B&B is located. The default RWGPS route was simply boring, non-optimal and pretty long.

Now, following your advice, I unlocked all regions for the flat fee in Komoot. Asked the same question for the A -> B route to get as many as five alternatives! But hey! Komoot allows you selecting the type of your ride! I chose "e-bike road cycling" to immediately get the optimal route! Interesting and the shortest! Komoot warned me that 874 m of the route would lead through inappropriate surfaces! More: It allows you displaying exactly the type of Points Of Interests (such as a grocery store or restaurant) on demand. Finally: the feature called Trail View is reportedly available in Komoot, so you could actually see the picture of your trip segment to make sure it is rideable! (Only I do not know how to use it).

Thank you for drawing my attention to Komoot @ava1ar! The service looks excellent for my needs! (RWGPS will remain my advanced editor for already planned routes in other systems).

Last edited:
@ava1ar, it is getting better and better with Komoot!
A friend of mine who is a road cyclist (using Komoot & Garmin) had whispered to me there was even a better route on asphalts along the Vistula. It required a single mouse movement in Komoot to make the service understand my intention! It is a great great service! Thank you again!

@ava1ar, it is getting better and better with Komoot!
A friend of mine who is a road cyclist (using Komoot & Garmin) had whispered to me there was even a better route on asphalts along the Vistula. It required a single mouse movement in Komoot to make the service understand my intention! It is a great great service! Thank you again!
Glad it works well for you, Stefan! I am using it a lot as well and it helped me to cover the gap with route planning service for Bosch ecosystem. Bosch has improved their online route planning service a lot since then, but I still prefer Komoot!

P.S. Komoot mobile app is pretty descent as well. You can create/update routes on the go if needed.

I like Komoot as a route planner more and more! The great advantage of Komoot is the knowledge of places where road-works are carried out and the ability to find detours. Sadly, RideWithGPS is not aware of the construction works and leads you into big trouble on your ride.

The lack of the "ride type" of RWGPS makes it hopeless at times. It can easily direct you into a long segment of sandy road while telling Komoot you are riding a "road e-bike" (Yes! E-!) will guide you exactly the way I would have selected myself if I knew the terrain as good as I know it now. Had I planned my recent trip with Komoot, it would take 135 km (84 mi) instead of 161 km (100 mi)!

I like Komoot as a route planner more and more! The great advantage of Komoot is the knowledge of places where road-works are carried out and the ability to find detours. Sadly, RideWithGPS is not aware of the construction works and leads you into big trouble on your ride.

The lack of the "ride type" of RWGPS makes it hopeless at times. It can easily direct you into a long segment of sandy road while telling Komoot you are riding a "road e-bike" (Yes! E-!) will guide you exactly the way I would have selected myself if I knew the terrain as good as I know it now. Had I planned my recent trip with Komoot, it would take 135 km (84 mi) instead of 161 km (100 mi)!
I'm going to take a look at Komoot, thanks, Stefan!

Hmm, fails the same test that RWGPS, Strava, and Bosch did for me last week: Komoot happily routes you through a military base.

1000001475.png

Komoot happily routes you through a military base.
Komoot is certainly good in Europe!

Edit: It was Wahoo own routing not to understand the roadworks. RWGPS suggests a route similar to Komoot but throwing unpaved segments in here and there without any need!

Last edited:
Komoot is certainly good in Europe!

Edit: It was Wahoo own routing not to understand the roadworks. RWGPS suggests a route similar to Komoot but throwing unpaved segments in here and there without any need!

RWGPS likes to throw in unpaved segments because its algorithm really wants you to avoid cars. not sure if that’s programmed intentionally or just the result of it learning from what a lot of cyclists do.

on the web version, at least, you can change the routing preferences to make it avoid that. but it’s not perfect.

komoot looks interesting, with really nice detail on the popular routes, but i find RWGPS works pretty well for me. i don’t believe it’s ever tried to send me an impossible direction, and the surface database is getting a lot better.

Back