Are We Condemned to Strava?

Strava is in the first place a site for roadies to compare their results between themselves, especially on the same road segments. I don't think anyone here is a competing cyclist.

For me, Strava is:
  • A storage of records of my rides, including full statistics and ride maps;
  • A place at which I can recollect my ride memories, good and bad;
  • A tool for self-motivation. I'm competing with myself. For instance, I rode for 5,000 miles in 2020 (Jan-Dec). I have already ridden for 4,737 miles in 2021, and it is only the beginning of September.
  • It gives me a lot of statistical information for my past rides, helping me to plan, for example, motor/battery assistance scenarios for my future rides
  • And, you can brag on Facebook, why not? :)
View attachment 99465
My six longest rides. All in 2021. I didn't dream of such distances in 2020.

View attachment 99466
My seven rides with the elevation gain above 1,000. Six of them ridden in 2021, only a single one in 2020.

View attachment 99467
My "heart" mountain ride.

View attachment 99468
Strava can display ride metrics from bike computers, and from some premium e-bikes.

View attachment 99469
And, finally. If someone plays Mr. IKnowItAll, my first question is: "Show me your Strava" :D
I agree with my Mennonite dealer who says that things like Strava and Facebook are "tools of the devil". I will use mission control and the free Komoot, but my wife won't install any app. Period.

Strava is in the first place a site for roadies to compare their results between themselves, especially on the same road segments. I don't think anyone here is a competing cyclist.

For me, Strava is:
  • A storage of records of my rides, including full statistics and ride maps;
  • A place at which I can recollect my ride memories, good and bad;
  • A tool for self-motivation. I'm competing with myself. For instance, I rode for 5,000 miles in 2020 (Jan-Dec). I have already ridden for 4,737 miles in 2021, and it is only the beginning of September.
  • It gives me a lot of statistical information for my past rides, helping me to plan, for example, motor/battery assistance scenarios for my future rides
  • And, you can brag on Facebook, why not? :)
View attachment 99465
My six longest rides. All in 2021. I didn't dream of such distances in 2020.

View attachment 99466
My seven rides with the elevation gain above 1,000. Six of them ridden in 2021, only a single one in 2020.

View attachment 99467
My "heart" mountain ride.

View attachment 99468
Strava can display ride metrics from bike computers, and from some premium e-bikes.

View attachment 99469
And, finally. If someone plays Mr. IKnowItAll, my first question is: "Show me your Strava" :D
I compete with my yesterday. I use a Garmin Venu and the Connect App. It gives me all the stats and maps, stores all my rides along with other activities. Has health stats and will auto upload to Strava, FB, etc..., but I don't auto upload. I like all the geeky stats. I've been using Garmins for years and I find it interesting comparing my stats from years ago to today. Weight graphs, sleep graphs are nice. There isn't a stat I need that I don't have. Like you, I only compete with myself. The Garmin is a great motivator and it confirms I'm going in the right direction. Am I condemned to Strava? No way! I can't see what I'd gain from it.

I agree with my Mennonite dealer who says that things like Strava and Facebook are "tools of the devil". I will use mission control and the free Komoot, but my wife won't install any app. Period.
If not social media, we wouldn't have talked today Art. EBR Forum is a social medium, isn't it.

For one, the only way I learned about the bad accident of Powerfly Lee was Strava communication.

If not social media, we wouldn't have talked today Art. EBR Forum is a social medium, isn't it.

For one, the only way I learned about the bad accident of Powerfly Lee was Strava communication.
EBR self selects for a much different demographic than most "social media" . EBR <> FB. Never used Strava, don't intend to.
Would like to know if there is any news on Lee, however ...

EBR self selects for a much different demographic than most "social media" . EBR <> FB. Never used Strava, don't intend to.
Would like to know if there is any news on Lee, however ...
You might be interested that Alaskan is (or was) the admin of the R&M User Club on Facebook. Alaskan and I are Facebook "friends" as well along with RandallS. So much about demographic. Because everybody selects their own friends on FB.

Just as a followup and a blatant plug for ridewithgps: they have massively improved route planning and turn-by-turn directions which are now my preferred trip planning tools. Google maps is still helpful sometimes and can often find some interesting routes.

Also, RWGPS also does better at estimating elevation gain and loss over a route than any of the others.
Mr. Coffee: RWGPS lost the battle with Strava (as for me), as it is missing a single activity: "E-Bike Ride" :)

Does anyone know a free heart rate biking/exercise app that auto pauses heart rate monitoring when stopped for breaks?

I have been using a combo of Sports Tracker and Endomondo in previous years. Since Endomondo was bought out and retired, I am using myWorkouts in its place. My heart rate monitor doesn't work with Sports Tracker, so that's why I use myWorkouts - for heart rate monitoring. And I'm using free versions of the apps.

There are a couple things I don't like about myWorkouts.

1) It does not auto pause the heart rate monitor when it detects I'm not moving. So, if I'm stopped several minutes for a break, it continues updating the heart rate metrics, shows dips in the heart rate graph at these times, and gives a lower heart rate average. Of course, I'm only interested in what heart rate I'm maintaining while I'm moving. The apps keeps track of moving time, but it doesn't have an option to exclude the break time from the heart rate statistics. This was not an issue with Endomondo.

2) If the ride is not recorded correctly, it has limitations on what can be edited, so it then shows in the history with incorrect information that I'm unable to edit. This is not an issue with Sports Tracker, which lets me edit these things.

I'm looking for an alternative free heart rate monitoring biking app that will auto pause the heart rate monitoring when auto pausing when stopping for a break or otherwise allow you to display heart rate graph and statistics that only include the time that I'm actually moving.

I had read that the subscription version of Strava will do that, but I don't want to pay a recurring fee for something that I will only use 6 months of the year during the decent weather riding season.

Actually I regret signing up with Strava. I used it seriously twice. I flip it on for my daily ride now for tracking. The route planning sucks. I am now moving to RWGPS, which also has Varia Radar integration. Even though I’ve only connected with a couple people the Strava feed is noisy. I don’t care about my friends journey on his exercise bike. Or his run. I’m only interested in bike riding. I’m not aware that designating an “E-bike” ride in Strava gives you anything more than a regular bike ride either. I think it’s only meant to segregate rides from manual bike riders. Lately I’ve been leaving it on just bike, so as to give the manual riders a real goal to achieve 😉 Maybe the next time I’ll do a run instead 🤣

Actually I regret signing up with Strava. I used it seriously twice. I flip it on for my daily ride now for tracking. The route planning sucks. I am now moving to RWGPS,
Does RWGP auto pause stop heart rate logging when you are stopped, and are these heart rate metrics/graph available in the free version? I'm guessing no.

I think it’s only meant to segregate rides from manual bike riders.
That's the whole point.

I don't plan routes in Strava. I don't navigate with Strava. There are better tools for it. I use Strava solely for the purposes I mentioned before.

There was a short period of time I subscribed to RideWithGPS. The route planning was so counter-intuitive there I cancelled the subscription. Man, try Mapy.cz. It is free, covers the whole world, and is comprehensive. Desktop computer and a smartphone app (both systems).

i still use rideWithGPS for route planning and navigation when needed - it’s fast and intuitive and the sync from desktop to mobile is instant and no-effort.

but i’ve grown to love strava’s post-ride analysis features, including/especially the segments and power meter data which it receives directly from mission control. i’ve no need for the strava app on my phone, but i do share my ride activity on strava with my brother so that we can needle each other along.

it’s also nice that strava catageorizes e-bike rides separately from regular bike rides, and treats segments as exclusive to one or the other. very useful for comparing results over time if you ride both or turn your ebike off.

but i’ve grown to love strava’s post-ride analysis features, including/especially the segments and power meter data which it receives directly from mission control.
Is the personal power meter metric available on all Specialized bikes via the app, for example, Turbo Como 3.0? Do any other e-bikes provide personal power data via their apps, like Giant?

Interesting. The Mission Control App FAQ states the Como is not compatible with it.

"Due to the type of Bluetooth® connectivity on Turbo Vado/Como displays (provided by BLOKS), we can't connect to these bikes with Mission Control. If you want to adjust the tuning modes on your bike, please contact your local authorized Specialized retailer."

But then I found contradictory info posted elsewhere on their site indicating the Turbo Como is indeed supported by the app. It also mentions the app in the middle of the Turbo Como product page.

"Applies to MY20 and newer Como models only. Download our free Mission Control app to get the best out of the Turbo Como. With the app, riders can control motor output, range, diagnose the system, record rides, sync them with Strava and more."

Last edited:
Is the personal power meter metric available on all Specialized bikes via the app, for example, Turbo Como 3.0?
It is there on all newer Specialized Turbo e-bikes. For sure since 2020, some models had it earlier.

Do any other e-bikes provide personal power data via their apps, like Giant?
Yes and no. If you use the silly Giant RideControl app, the app won't transfer the power or cadence data to Strava. However, if you connect a newer Giant e-bike (since 2020) to Garmin Edge or Wahoo, all vital e-bike data including rider's power and cadence will be transferred to the bike computer, and the latter will send these data to Strava. I confirm that totally.

I have no knowledge on Bosch or Shimano.

P.S. All newer Specialized e-bikes are equipped with the TCU, not BLOKS. The info you quoted is irrelevant nowadays.

Just as a followup and a blatant plug for ridewithgps: they have massively improved route planning and turn-by-turn directions which are now my preferred trip planning tools. Google maps is still helpful sometimes and can often find some interesting routes.

Also, RWGPS also does better at estimating elevation gain and loss over a route than any of the others.
I fckd around in Strava for days trying to map out a route on an extremely traveled bike path in Tokyo and finally gave up. Google maps was slightly better but doesn’t have bike path knowledge. Then I tried RWGPS and planned a highly accurate 125km tour in about 30 minutes. The resolution and richness of their map and satellite data is awesome and makes the other app look like a toy. Very intuitive and easy interface. Also their iOS app runs on an iPad - granted ppl in the backwoods don’t need that screen size but here in Metro DisneyLand it’s a must. RWGPS is exactly what it’s called as well - a GPS app for bike navigation. Love it thus far. I have no idea about heart rate monitoring, my Apple Watch tracks it supposedly.

I don't say anyone needs to use Strava. If you, however, ride in groups, especially with traditional cyclists, not using Strava generates strange looks of your riding mates :) It is equivalent to not using Facebook.

Some people will use neither Strava nor Facebook. It is their choice. For me, participating in social media allowed me to meet many people, some of which became my riding buddies. (Again, some people wonder how come I'm riding with such beautiful girls) :)

Man, try Mapy.cz.
Thanks Stefan, I tried however it doesn’t work for me at all. Because it’s not aware of the bicycling routes. Here’s a great example- I started and ended a simple route along the River on the most traveled bike road in Tokyo - Mapy chose the motor vehicle roadways. RWGPS nailed it - for 125km even in much more complex terrain- using its heat map dataset as well I’m sure.

84704397-D0AB-4889-B852-F199EDBCCDAD.png

It is there on all newer Specialized Turbo e-bikes. For sure since 2020, some models had it earlier.

Yes and no. If you use the silly Giant RideControl app, the app won't transfer the power or cadence data to Strava. However, if you connect a newer Giant e-bike (since 2020) to Garmin Edge or Wahoo, all vital e-bike data including rider's power and cadence will be transferred to the bike computer, and the latter will send these data to Strava. I confirm that totally.

I have no knowledge on Bosch or Shimano.

P.S. All newer Specialized e-bikes are equipped with the TCU, not BLOKS. The info you quoted is irrelevant nowadays.
Thanks. This is good to know as I would like this functionality.

Back