Are throttles the devil?

JRA

I just don't get the throttle bashing that goes on. It's just another way to transfer power to the motor and if some prefer it over PAS who cares? We are dealing with less than one h.p. motors here and a throttle isn't going to turn legal bikes in to fire breathing monsters. If someone buys a bike with a throttle to just use the throttle and not pedal at all then that is on them and they might as well just get an e moped.

I use a throttle exclusively with a 1000w front hub motor and get as good of wh/mi figures as any PAS system. I find it is the best way to get the pedaling feeling/performance that it is no different than when I hop on my non e bike and that is important to me. The thing is to have the gearing that allows for you to pedal effectively at all times. Many e bikes fall short of this on the higher end of the spectrum and human input is ineffective unless you are pedaling at some mad cadence that is not sustainable. Interacting with the throttle makes me feel more in control of power input and I like the fact that I can opt out from using power or using more with a quick and easy motion and not necessarily having to change my gearing.

I am glad that so many find PAS useful because it gets people on bikes but lets all try and see the e bike world with a bit of color.

I just don't get the throttle bashing that goes on. It's just another way to transfer power to the motor and if some prefer it over PAS who cares? We are dealing with less than one h.p. motors here and a throttle isn't going to turn legal bikes in to fire breathing monsters. If someone buys a bike with a throttle to just use the throttle and not pedal at all then that is on them and they might as well just get an e moped.

I use a throttle exclusively with a 1000w front hub motor and get as good of wh/mi figures as any PAS system. I find it is the best way to get the pedaling feeling/performance that it is no different than when I hop on my non e bike and that is important to me. The thing is to have the gearing that allows for you to pedal effectively at all times. Many e bikes fall short of this on the higher end of the spectrum and human input is ineffective unless you are pedaling at some mad cadence that is not sustainable. Interacting with the throttle makes me feel more in control of power input and I like the fact that I can opt out from using power or using more with a quick and easy motion and not necessarily having to change my gearing.

I am glad that so many find PAS useful because it gets people on bikes but lets all try and see the e bike world with a bit of color.

Hi, I'm glad to see your post because I'm just beginning to look at electric bikes. Today I tried out a Flex Lift and liked it quite a bit. Can't stop thinking of it in fact. But, I have bad knees. I am hesitant to buy a bike (especially at that price) with no throttle. While I would love to be able to pedal for hours, I just can't. As a total newbie, I don't know what to look for, and can't seem to find anything beyond a $500 bike on Amazon, which might be fine, but might not be. I loved the quality of the Flex but don't want to be always wishing I'd found a bike of the same quality with a throttle (as well as PAS). Do you have any recommendations for a combination throttle and PAS bike? Thanks for any help.

Lizzie, A PAS only bike will still work with your bad knees as you can keep the bike in a gear ratio that will not be that hard to pedal and the motor will still add assist. Someone with bad knees would benefit from this type of pedal input anyway. By using the different assist levels you should be able to get along just fine. But a throttle can be a good way to get a break from the motion of pedaling and still go forward and if you feel that is what you need then by all means hold out until you find what you want. It is a good idea to stay away from the Amazon bikes though.

I see that the Flex is a folding bike and if that is what you are looking at this company has one that looks like a better product to me and has PAS and throttle. http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog....ZNRY3mRoJ63wvjsYn-_y8k6Qjau2WA7oAAaAkhh8P8HAQ

You might want to do some additional research on the company but they seem to be legit.

Thanks for the link! It looks like a good introduction to the world of e bikes. I will definitely investigate. Appreciate the info.

I just don't get the throttle bashing
I agree totally. The rider should always be able to control the level of assist (and therefore the amount of pedaling effort they want to put out). These are not bicycles, they are ebikes. The whole point is to make riding a bike either 1.) A viable alternative form of transportation; or 2.) Actually feasible for less fit riders, larger riders, older riders, riders with knee issues, and commuters who can't arrive to work all sweaty; or 3.) A more thrilling experience for fit riders.
IMO, manufacturing PAS only systems ignores the first two objectives. The design assumes that all riders have similar fitness levels despite having adjustable assist... if your not getting the desired assist at the highest setting, your not fit enough for the manufacturers design.

Certainly PAS systems make much more efficient use of the battery power and they run the motor more efficiently because they all require increased pedaling from the rider to obtain increased assistance from the motor. A throttle puts the rider alone in charge of how hard they want to pedal. The rider gets to choose to use more motor when they need it, when their knees are humming, when the breeze is too much when that hill a little too high, when you need to get out of the way in a hurry, etc.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm glad to see your post because I'm just beginning to look at electric bikes. Today I tried out a Flex Lift and liked it quite a bit. Can't stop thinking of it in fact. But, I have bad knees. I am hesitant to buy a bike (especially at that price) with no throttle. While I would love to be able to pedal for hours, I just can't..

In addition to the Citizen, there's the Voltbike Urban at around $1100 shipped. Has a throttle too. I've never seen either bike, so you'll want to check reviews. The voltbike does have suspension though. I have two folders, and my wife will always grab the full suspension model, as it's comfortable.

The less expensive bikes often get knocked for using cheaper shifters, brakes, etc, but you know those mechanical things are easily upgraded for not much money. And you do have to deal with online ordering, which can be disconcerting when stuff costs over $1000, and it's not an amazon. But check the voltbike forum for feedback.

As for throttles, I gotta have one, just to make sure the motor spins before I take it out of the garage.

I have a Radrover 4" fat tire bike with 0-5 PAS and throttle. I couldn't imagine riding without a throttle because it really comes in handy in emergencies, work commute, and single track trail riding. I once had to take my 70lbs bike up one flight of stairs and the throttle made it extremely easy compared of lugging it up the stairs.

DW is transitioning from an Amazon ebike to an Easy Motion, torque sensing, with throttle. The Amazon bike had a very rudimentary cadence sensing system that was basically an on/off switch. We went for our first ride over the weekend, She is still getting used to the gears, but we both enjoyed the ride, She used the throttle a couple of times and was glad to have it.

There is a big difference between cadence sensing pedal assist and torque sensing pedal assist. On a cadence sensing bike I can leisurely cruise along the flats at 20+ MPH just pedaling enough to engage the motor. On a torque-sensing bike I'd actually need to pedal to get that much power.

Since e-bikes are, on average, quite a bit heavier than regular bikes, throttles are nice when you are just getting going after a stop.

For myself with bad knees and a back surgery my ridge rider gets me back out cycling. I use mostly number 2-3 pas but when my knees need a break I do use my throttle or going up bigger hills. To me there's no price tag for the freedom I get back with a throttle. I don't do single track racing or bother cyclist that want just regular bikes on these paths. I'm just happy to go cruzing along the road or paved bike paths. No throttle bike haters needed.

Since e-bikes are, on average, quite a bit heavier than regular bikes, throttles are nice when you are just getting going after a stop.
For some systems especially mid drives this is the biggest downfall, especially if someone hasn't shifted to an appropriate gear for starting off. Stressing the heck out of the motor. More than a few BBSxx has been killed doing this.

My Radrover is my starter bike to get me into the ebike world. I want to eventually upgrade to a full suspension mid-drive for lighter weight, balance, front/rear quick release rims, TQ, and longer range. I was thinking about getting a second set of rims and have commuter slicks on one and knobby for trails on the other set. It is hard to find an affordable fat/plus size tire mid-drive with a full power throttle on any PAS level like the Radrover.

I was thinking about getting a second set of rims and have commuter slicks on one and knobby for trails on the other set. It is hard to find an affordable fat/plus size tire mid-drive with a full power throttle on any PAS level like the Radrover.
I shopped around and did just that. I have a set of rims with winter tires, studs, and a set with Maxxis Hookworms (2.5").

I think throttles just reinforce the preconceived notion many people have that e-bikes are just electric scooters. Someone who is going fast on a bike without pedaling does stand out. I have a throttle, and use it all of the time, but rarely do I use the throttle only without pedaling.

I think throttles just reinforce the preconceived notion many people have that e-bikes are just electric scooters. Someone who is going fast on a bike without pedaling does stand out. I have a throttle, and use it all of the time, but rarely do I use the throttle only without pedaling.
I think throttles are the biggest killer of BBS01 and 02 kits in the hands of those not understanding how the motor works.

It's the existing laws that paint a bad image to the throttle. Come on! Ebikes are not dirt bikes that can do tire burns on acceleration. These are half horsepower machines! Having a throttle can be a life saver on emergency evasive maneuvers. It is also very handy on technical maneuvers when highly calibrated power application is needed while your crank is not on the optimal position (vertical position).

Last edited:
It's the existing laws that paint a bad image to the throttle. Come on! Ebikes are not dirt bikes that can do tire burns on acceleration.
HAH Look again! Those 40 MPH plus bikes are the ones that are going to bring regulations...
These are half horsepower machines! Having a throttle can be a life saver on emergency evasive maneuvers. It is also very handy on technical maneuvers when highly calibrated power application is needed while your crank is not on the optimal position (vertical position).
I like mine. Some days it's the only way home.

Back