Anyone know of a suspension seatpost for lighter weight riders?

Andropolis

Looking for something cushy and floaty... Not sure which manufactures make something for riders under 130 lbs. wouldn’t want to spend a bunch of money for something that won’t budge.

Underweight because of health issues... Thanks in advance

Any good suspension seat post can be adjusted to handle your weight, if it can't don't buy it. With suspension seatposts you get what you pay for, you'll get lots of advice but pick a good one and try it before purchasing.
I have three Kinekt, two Thudbuster, and all the rest and the one I like is the Kinekt, there's no comparison but that's just my opinion you'll hear from lots of others. Good luck to you.

I have the satori animaris which looks like the suntour but only cost 50 bucks . I'm very happy with it and the spring can be adjusted for your weight. I have not tried the expensive seatposts so the only thing I can compare it to are the cheap vertical spring seatposts and it's way better than those

Thudbuster ST...... Elastomer Question.

By the Thudbuster ST weight chart, I am at the boarder of a #5 Medium (140-190), and a #7 Hard (190-250) Elastomer.
I am 200lbs.

But the #5 Medium feels Firmer then I wish. (doesn't really "float").

I'd like to use the #3 Soft but their instruction sheet says "Never use a Softer Elastomer then recommended for your weight".
Has anyone tried a Softer then recommended Elastomer ?
Did the Thudbuster Police come after you ;) ?
Is it detrimental ?
Maybe I'm expecting the wrong results ?

I only ride neighborhood streets and bike paths.

Craig

Thudbuster ST...... Elastomer Question.

By the Thudbuster ST weight chart, I am at the boarder of a #5 Medium (140-190), and a #7 Hard (190-250) Elastomer.
I am 200lbs.

But the #5 Medium feels Firmer then I wish. (doesn't really "float").

I'd like to use the #3 Soft but their instruction sheet says "Never use a Softer Elastomer then recommended for your weight".
Has anyone tried a Softer then recommended Elastomer ?
Did the Thudbuster Police come after you ;) ?
Is it detrimental ?
Maybe I'm expecting the wrong results ?

I only ride neighborhood streets and bike paths.

Craig

That’s a good question, Craig.

I just bought a used Thudbuster LT and will need to buy some cushier elastomers than what come preloaded.

Hopefully someone will answer your question. I like a floatier cushier ride myself.

I also recommend the Satori Animaris. However, the way it ships, I think it's too stiff for a light-weight person.

I've done the following to mine:

1. Unscrew the threaded aluminum bottom plate and remove the stock spring.
2. Loosen the small set screw and tap out the upper hinge pin, which will allow you to remove the very-firm elastomer/torsion rubber piece.
3. Buy two Kinekt springs (for your weight, get two white "lower" springs) and stack them to replace the stiff Satori spring.

This turns it into something VERY similar to the Kinekt at less than 1/4 the price.

I have both Kinekt and Animaris seatposts on my several ebikes, and with the changes I made above, they perform almost exactly the same.

Note 1: I use two purple Kinekt springs in my Animaris, which I think support the same weight as a black/orange spring set in my Kinekt (I'm 200 lbs).

Note 2. I recommend using two "lower" Kinekt springs (Kinekt uses two springs, and the lower spring is 1/4" longer than the upper spring). When you stack two of them in an Animaris, it's actually just a little longer than the stock Animaris spring, but you can still get the bottom plate back on with a little pressure and that gives you a little pre-load.

Note 3: Your LBS might sell the springs, but you can also order them directly from Kinekt at $10/each.

I have the same issue with mine, but I took a different approach than replacing the spring: I put the original Satori spring on a piece of 7/16" all-thread between two washers and two nuts. Tightening the nuts (squeezing the spring) beyond its normal travel in the seatpost ends up shortening its length (and, I suspect, lowering it's tension). I ended up squeezing the spring all the way (the coils touching) and tapping it lightly with a small hammer while compressed. When I removed the nuts, the spring was shortened by about 3/4" - without removing any coils, which was my first inclination. When reassembled into the seatpost, the preload nut sat significantly farther into the spring tunnel, and the seatpost now works much better with my 160-lb. weight.

By the way, the "squeaky" sound I've read others complain about appears to be caused by the spring rubbing on the machining marks left on the Delrin insert - I sanded them down with fine sandpaper and it's a lot quieter. I'll carefully wet-sand it further to remove all the marks from the outside (and inside) of the insert and expect the squeaking to disappear... results to follow.

And regarding other's comments about the possibility of the Satori's 350mm length being too short - - I'm 6'-0" and have mine set in about halfway, so I'd guess there would still be plenty of length for a taller rider...

Bud

Back