Anyone know mopeds?

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
So my trusty Liberty 150 is giving me grief. My local dealer is really letting me down and the next dealer is 100 miles away. So I might just get a new scooter/moped. Something I can have serviced locally OR by me. My choices So far:
Genuine RH50. Do I really miss 2-strokes?
Honda Ruckus. Tad more complicated but proven.
Honda 300 enduro. Do I really want a tall bike?
Honda Grom. I like them, just don't love them.
Honda Monkey. I like the Grom a bit more than a Monkey.
Lance Cabo 200i. Not the most exciting scooter made.
All the above I can have serviced locally. My Honda shop has a great service department. I only commute to work and back, 14 miles each way. No longer ride on the weekends or 2-up but would like the option to carry a passenger if needed.
Also considering a:
ONYX CTY2. Not totally sold on ONYX though. Never seen one up close.
Ariel Rider Grizzly. Kinda overkill?
Ariel Rider X-class. More realistic and a step-thru option!
Might try toughing it out on my Lectric XP. Basket and rack is STILL on back order though!
My commute is all surface streets. No more freeways for me on 2 wheels.

I've done my time modding Zumas! We (friends and I) built FAST Zumas! I have no more intentions doing mods to motors. But I'm sure I'd eventually hot rod a Grom if I had one.

Best moped I ever owned was a 2-stroke Hyosung Sense. Just a Malossi Multivar 2000 and a Tecnigas pipe and the little ped hit 48mph! Comfortable as well, single rider and 2-up.

I've had a Grom since they came out. Great motorbike on pavement. 50+mph top speed and it's easy enough to make it go faster, though if you want freeway legal get a 250cc bike. I was tinkering making an ebike to replace the Grom, but decided if I want to go 30+ an electric motorcycle would be better (and safer) way to go.

Emtbs is my new hobby now.
If you are still in motor cycling Yamaha FZ 07 are a blast to ride. They're indestructible you can't over revv it.
I need to post a picture of my parking situation. Tight and muddy, plus if I hit my wife's car demons will come out of the ground! I used to own a 94 CBR900RR and later a Hawk NTV650. I'm big biked out, plus no real need for one considering my needs. FortNine on YouTube liked that Yamaha you mentioned Rome!

I have ridden an electric moped for 3 years.
The name is Specialized :)

1675928728227.png

The thing is, as a moped, it has operable pedals but no throttle :D

I thought the Cero One was going to be my dream bike. Plenty of everything except power and speed. I wish the baskets came in time to ride the Lectric XP. Still on back order. Not wearing a backpack for 14 miles in crazy traffic.

Saturday morning will determine the fate of the Liberty. I have a feeling I'm gonna get a hassle from the lazy dealer who has it. They have a whopping 3.0 review on Google reviews, and a not so great reputation locally. The other dealership is 100 miles one way. If I'm driving 100 miles there better be fun on the other end, like pinball, not another dealer I have little faith in. My wife keeps saying Honda product next.

So my trusty Liberty 150 is giving me grief. My local dealer is really letting me down and the next dealer is 100 miles away. So I might just get a new scooter/moped. Something I can have serviced locally OR by me. My choices So far:
Genuine RH50. Do I really miss 2-strokes?
Honda Ruckus. Tad more complicated but proven.
Honda 300 enduro. Do I really want a tall bike?
Honda Grom. I like them, just don't love them.
Honda Monkey. I like the Grom a bit more than a Monkey.
Lance Cabo 200i. Not the most exciting scooter made.
All the above I can have serviced locally. My Honda shop has a great service department. I only commute to work and back, 14 miles each way. No longer ride on the weekends or 2-up but would like the option to carry a passenger if needed.
Also considering a:
ONYX CTY2. Not totally sold on ONYX though. Never seen one up close.
Ariel Rider Grizzly. Kinda overkill?
Ariel Rider X-class. More realistic and a step-thru option!
Might try toughing it out on my Lectric XP. Basket and rack is STILL on back order though!
My commute is all surface streets. No more freeways for me on 2 wheels.
I had a Puch in college and it was awesome.

Adventure Rider has forums on each brand and model you've brought up. You can probably get a better feel for what others there think in their long term ownership on each particular model. The Monkey has alot of enthusiastic owners and riders there. Many interesting modifications, as well.

Back in the day (1978), I happened to buy and own for a good many years, the one moped in the world that seemed to be panned by everyone who've owned one: the AMF Roadmaster moped, with a rear, friction drive, 50 cc McCulloch 2 stroke engine. I sure had a lot of fun with mine.

I need to post a picture of my parking situation. Tight and muddy, plus if I hit my wife's car demons will come out of the ground! I used to own a 94 CBR900RR and later a Hawk NTV650. I'm big biked out, plus no real need for one considering my needs. FortNine on YouTube liked that Yamaha you mentioned Rome!
I had a ‘94 cbr900 bought new. That was a fast scooter!

I always consider tax and license requirements. Mopeds and scooters require insurance and registration. Only free ride I’ve come up with is the ebike.

My old CBR900RR cost me a bunch of money when I had it. Tickets, court dates, fines, threats of jail time and crazy insurance premiums. Fun bike though, I compare it to a bad coke habit.

So the Liberty 150 is leaving. It appears the serving dealer in my area is not very good. Tired of seeing Check Engine Lights. So I'm going on a hunt for a replacement. My wife keeps saying Genuine Buddy 125 again but I'm leaning towards a Genuine Rough House 50. We've owned 2 Buddy 125's. Mine hit 40,000 miles when I sold it and hers had 25,000 on it when she sold hers. Great quality, easy to service and reliable. But I no longer ride a passenger and only use the Liberty for commuting for work, no more pleasure rides on the weekend.

I remember my dealer saying that most people replace scooters at 30,000 miles because things wear out and the scooter starts pissing them off. My wife says they are not designed for what I use them for, and I never keep one past 3 years. Both correct is seems, since i average 10,000 a year commuting to work.

Holy cow, I have a exhaust leak. I bet that's what caused my CEL to come back on. Gonna fix the leak this weekend and see what happens.

I sat on all the Honda minimotos before I bought Suzuki DR650. For the money the Navi is hard to beat.
You'll love this! I was at my local Honda dealership looking at a small enduro, like a Honda CRF300. I couldn't figure out to get ON the bike! It was too tall to throw a leg over, and leaning it over was just crazy. The parts guy showed me how to get on it. Heck no, I don't trust side stands like that! He suggested I watch the Fortnine video on YT for mounting motorcycles like a pro, and that made me ever more insecure on the idea of getting motorcycle. I'm 5'9" and not in terrible shape, I'm just not flexible enough to mount a tall motorcycle with confidence. I think I've spent to much time on step-thru style motor scooters!

You'll love this! I was at my local Honda dealership looking at a small enduro, like a Honda CRF300. I couldn't figure out to get ON the bike! It was too tall to throw a leg over, and leaning it over was just crazy. The parts guy showed me how to get on it. Heck no, I don't trust side stands like that! He suggested I watch the Fortnine video on YT for mounting motorcycles like a pro, and that made me ever more insecure on the idea of getting motorcycle. I'm 5'9" and not in terrible shape, I'm just not flexible enough to mount a tall motorcycle with confidence. I think I've spent to much time on step-thru style motor scooters!
I watch the fortnine videos also. Haven’t seen the one you described. Some of those bikes are tall. I’m 6’1” and throwing s leg over some is pretty tough. This probably confirms anything on two wheels is fun.

So I'm waiting on a call from the dealership about ordering a Genuine Buddy 125. I've owned 2 Buddy 125's and know them very well, plus they are as simple as you can get. They (Buddy 125's) have the added bonus of a kick start! I picked my current Liberty over another Buddy because it fit 2 adults very well and the larger tires didn't beat my wife up going over bumps as bad as the Buddy's 10" wheels, but we no longer ride double.

I wanted one more faster/larger scooter, like a Piaggio BV400 or another SYM CityCom 300i, but I'll be at the mercy of sketchy dealers again for computer diagnostics. I wish Honda sold something that tickled my fancy. I have a great Honda dealership in my area. Loved my Honda Helix even though I was always changing rear tires. My wife's Silverwing was pretty nice as well, just too large to squeeze in my parking space. I really need to post a picture of my parking spot, maybe later.

I did quickly realize that I cannot safely do a 50cc scooter. Cars just keep driving worse and more reckless everyday! And I will never do the interstate/expressway ever again on anything with 2 wheels. My state really needs those speed cameras like Europe has implemented. Oh, and red light cameras on every corner. I always tell my wife to give me 2 years and I can cure this whole reckless driving situation but it involves the dreaded "P" word, politics.

I just saw yesterday Honda is coming out with a XR150L for $3k and should be at dealers in a month, should be 100+ mpg. That would be a nice ride. Also discovered anything above about 55-60 mph wind could use a fairing or wind jammer so for me larger motorcycles without a fairing would be useless.

I saw that, still too tall for me. I'll just stick to my "girl bike" step-thru scooters. When I had my motorcycles I always had a motor scooter as well. So a bunch of us would go up to 200 miles to look at a car. I'd show up on the "girls bike" Helix. Guess who arrived comfy and relaxed? Me! It wasn't a race, I don't wanna be hunched over a hot motor all that time! I had a stereo, cruise control, back rest, cup holders, a huge Cee Bailey wind screen and I could stretch my legs out.

I remember those days Rome. Mopeds used to be like bearer bonds, no tag, insurance, nothing. Not even a helmet! Now, a tag is required. No insurance yet for a 50cc. And helmets are required now.

Back