Anyone have the Gazelle dual battery?

rajron

Does anyone that have the dual battery option for their Gazelle?
I am wanting to improve my milage, Gazelle offers a second 500W battery that mounts to the water bottle screw holes. My understanding it is integrated into the system which basically increases wattage 2X. Retail is about $1000.00 steep but not much more than just carrying a second battery.
Any input or experiences with the dual battery kit?

I do not have a dual battery Gazelle. Here are some thoughts. Doubling battery weight will reduce the range on the first battery because increasing weight will not increase range in a lineal way with batteries. How does the second battery hook up to the first? If it were mine I would have a non-proprietary range extender to apply only when needed. But Bosch only likes proprietary systems so they can charge more money once you have invested in sunken costs. Putting on your own non-proprietary extender at $300 would void their warrantee The lighter the total battery weight the better the handling and the more efficient the first mile.

I am reluctant to void the warranty on my new bike, but if it costs as you said only three hundred dollars for a new battery I will have to think twice.
Please expound on you Gazelle dual battery kit. Was it installed by your LBS or did you buy the kit and install it yourself, or was the bike purchased new with the kit?
Where are there schematics on how this all hooks up?
From where would I find a reputable non-priority range extender?
And how does it attach? Are there schematics? Do I just open the motor cover plug in, or splice in the new battery with some sort of switch? How would it be charged, for that matter how do you charge the OEM kit extender?
I am looking for a minimum of 60% increase in mileage.

Oops just realized you do not have the dual battery kit
I do not have a dual battery Gazelle. Here are some thoughts. Doubling battery weight will reduce the range on the first battery because increasing weight will not increase range in a lineal way with batteries. How does the second battery hook up to the first? If it were mine I would have a non-proprietary range extender to apply only when needed. But Bosch only likes proprietary systems so they can charge more money once you have invested in sunken costs. Putting on your own non-proprietary extender at $300 would void their warrantee The lighter the total battery weight the better the handling and the more efficient the first mile.
Oops just realized you don't have the dual battery kit

Bosch PowerPack User’s Manual

Bosch Performance Line User’s Manual

Bosch Performance Line Speed User’s Manual

Bosch Active Line BDU2XX User’s Manual

Bosch Active Line BDU3XX User’s Manual

Bosch Active Line Plus User’s Manual

These resources above should help. I make superior electric bikes and not the common retail stuff. Mine are open source and do not need dealers charging 3x3x3 more. Now that you have vested sunken costs, you are hooked into their systems until you bail out and sell.

Any input or experiences with the dual battery kit?
No experiences but I can offer some input. The dual battery setup for Gazelle is well done, the battery is integrated and the system will evenly draw from both batteries, and also recharge them in tandem. You don't have to deal with switching between batteries manually, and don't have to worry about one battery wearing out faster than the other by getting used more heavily. It is pricey at $1,000 but once it's installed you don't have to mess with it at all, just ride as you normally do with 2X the range. Okay, TECHNICALLY you don't get 2X the range since you added some weight as @PedalUma noted... but you're only adding another 7 pounds or so of weight, it will make a negligible impact on range.

It's true you can add more battery capacity for cheaper if you DIY... but that's not worth voiding your Bosch warranty, and the whole point of buying a Bosch system is to get something that works well without the "hassle" (or fun, depending on your perspective) of a DIY setup. You can't really mod Bosch ebikes with third party components, they just aren't designed with that in mind and it would be difficult or impossible.

If you're set on adding more range, the official Bosch range extender is the way to go!

No experiences but I can offer some input. The dual battery setup for Gazelle is well done, the battery is integrated and the system will evenly draw from both batteries, and also recharge them in tandem. You don't have to deal with switching between batteries manually, and don't have to worry about one battery wearing out faster than the other by getting used more heavily. It is pricey at $1,000 but once it's installed you don't have to mess with it at all, just ride as you normally do with 2X the range. Okay, TECHNICALLY you don't get 2X the range since you added some weight as @PedalUma noted... but you're only adding another 7 pounds or so of weight, it will make a negligible impact on range.

It's true you can add more battery capacity for cheaper if you DIY... but that's not worth voiding your Bosch warranty, and the whole point of buying a Bosch system is to get something that works well without the "hassle" (or fun, depending on your perspective) of a DIY setup. You can't really mod Bosch ebikes with third party components, they just aren't designed with that in mind and it would be difficult or impossible.

If you're set on adding more range, the official Bosch range extender is the way to go!

Bosch PowerPack User’s Manual

Bosch Performance Line User’s Manual

Bosch Performance Line Speed User’s Manual

Bosch Active Line BDU2XX User’s Manual

Bosch Active Line BDU3XX User’s Manual

Bosch Active Line Plus User’s Manual

These resources above should help. I make superior electric bikes and not the common retail stuff. Mine are open source and do not need dealers charging 3x3x3 more. Now that you have vested sunken costs, you are hooked into their systems until you bail out and sell.
Thank you for summarizing all the links to Bosch manuals.
I’ve looked at your web pages and find your bikes elegant.
I am looking for something different in an e-bike.

Hi;
Thankyou for your input, I agree integration is key and your inputs will encourage me to pursue the dual battery kit.
I just wish someone that has the set-up would add comment.

Wow, I am continually amazed at the level of expertise one is privileged to benefit from simply for having joined an online forum (for free) and asked a question. People are so generous, we are so fortunate to live in this time and have access to these tools (keyboard).

Wow, I am continually amazed at the level of expertise one is privileged to benefit from simply for having joined an online forum (for free) and asked a question. People are so generous, we are so fortunate to live in this time and have access to these tools (keyboard).
That is why I just jumped in. Even in my ignorance. Because of peer review we can get the ball rolling to help someone. It sounds like a highly refined system and Rajron will be very happy being able to almost double range with only adding 7-pounds. When the two batteries are fully integrated it makes riding highly pleasurable.

Back