Anyone have Squeaky Crank?

the Selle Anatomica X saddle was squeaking
This is a norm with almost all "vintage" style leather saddles, especially with steel coils instead of rubber dampeners. Everyone their own, riders actually like the sound.

Yes I am very fortunate. I got lucky this time with a bike fix.:)
Fortunate indeed.

Too many times trying to eliminate irksome noises, getting into the weeds taking something apart, only to find it was something else and a way easier fix...just the perverse nature of the beast.

I am humored that some would drop ten grand on a bike that they cannot repair and do not own the rights to its firmware. If you don't own that, then you don't really own the bike.
I am humored to assume that you don't own the rights to the firmware for the chipsets for communications amongst other sub-systems on the very computer you used to communicate this.
Does this work in North Korea, anywhere else?
I agree though, let's get rid of copyright, patents, trademarks, oh, and all associated law professionals too! :)

In 3 years, i've cleaned my Gates belt once, hardly any squeaking (maybe 1/2 hour per year total). Several hundred kilometers per month.
If it's wearing, squeaking or doing anything on "one side" then i'd seriously suggest getting the alignment checked out.

In 2 years of riding bikes with Gates belts I never had a squeaking issue until I got my Superdelite and took it around a motocross track. All my riding prior to that was on road. The fine dust on the track had the belt squeaking by the ride home that day. After that ride, rinsing the belt with water will give a few dozen miles of squeak free riding. But then the squeak will come back. Until I put a tad bit of silicone spray on the belt, now it hasn't come back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fortunate indeed.

Too many times trying to eliminate irksome noises, getting into the weeds taking something apart, only to find it was something else and a way easier fix...just the perverse nature of the beast.
Alaskan, I moved the saddle back 1/8" before my last ride and got squeak again. The seat post saddle clamps are too close to the front bend of the aluminum rails. I ordered the carbon rails whiich will allow an additional inch of saddle setback. I only need 1/4". Amazing how such a small increment on the saddle rails can create such a noise.

Truly perplexing. I have been riding Selle Anatomica saddles for almost three years. I have two H2s in leather and one of the rubber ones. I have never had any squeaky noises from the saddles and do have them set back nearly to the limits. Have you been in communication with the guys at the company about the noise and have they had any ideas as to how to deal with it?

Truly perplexing. I have been riding Selle Anatomica saddles for almost three years. I have two H2s in leather and one of the rubber ones. I have never had any squeaky noises from the saddles and do have them set back nearly to the limits. Have you been in communication with the guys at the company about the noise and have they had any ideas as to how to deal with it?
The support person told me to grease the the leather on the underside contacting the metal. Vey small amount. She suggested applying grease with a zip tie, I used a small flat brush. That was not the solution. I am certain my rail bend is too close to the front clamp. When I get the carbon rails the bend will not be close to the clamp.

This saddle is the best I have ever had. It has some flex and is quite comfortable. A truly nice design and product.

I have been meaning to check this thread as my Superdelite has started squeaking. In fact after riding all my life the sound was not anything like that which I have encountered before. This made me suspect the belt. In frustration today, just 1km from home I dumped my bottle of water over the belt as I cycled and silence. I have been cycling on some pretty dusty roads and I am sure that's what did it. I guess the advantage of water is that it cleans then evaporates, is there a risk that the silicon could mix in with the dust and get gummy? If not then perhaps I will get some.

By the way, I have a 'Brooks B17 carved' on my SD but I also have a Brooks B17 Titanium on my UK Haibike and that is even more comfortable. They are just a delight to ride on. Here are the things I swore I would never have and now love;
A Kickstand
Mudguards
A Brooks saddle
Built in lights

When I was picking up my replacement Superdelite in a tiny little dealer in Toulouse I asked them the most comfortable saddle and they immediately said Brooks.

I have to say my SD Mountain is completely rattle free, even on rough technical trails. I don’t miss the kick stand at all (I lean the rear tyre on something pretty easily), and because I ride for pleasure and don’t go out when it is raining/too muddy, I mostly have not missed the mud guards either. I do love my Brooks saddle, my 155mm cranks and my Knog bell which is low profile and still allows me to look MTB cool 😎

In 2 years of riding bikes with Gates belts I never had a squeaking issue until I got my Superdelite and took it around a motocross track. All my riding prior to that was on road. The fine dust on the track had the belt squeaking by the ride home that day. After that ride, rinsing the belt with water will give a few dozen miles of squeak free riding. But then the squeak will come back. Until I put a tad bit of silicone spray on the belt, now it hasn't come back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I too have had a squeaky crank and glad to see these to realize it was likely the belt on my Giant LaFree +2 (not mountain) bike. I checked in with the shop where I bought it here (Portland OR) and then advised me not to use silicone (as others have advised here) on my system but to use either Simple Green or IPA. Just did it and BINGO - all is well. Thanks for the tips…

I too have had a squeaky crank and glad to see these to realize it was likely the belt on my Giant LaFree +2 (not mountain) bike. I checked in with the shop where I bought it here (Portland OR) and then advised me not to use silicone (as others have advised here) on my system but to use either Simple Green or IPA. Just did it and BINGO - all is well. Thanks for the tips…
Apparently Gates recommend CRC heavy duty silicone. I have scrubbed mine with lots of water but the sound Comes back after around 50Km. For the last week or so I just spray a little water out of my bottle as I cycle and it shuts it up. I suspect that IPA is not Indian Pale Ale, perhaps it is iso-propyl alcohol. Not knowing what the belt is made with I am anxious about that in case it starts to dissolve the belt. What puzzles me is that the belt was silent for the first 2000Km and now there is no shutting it up. I am tempted to try a little silicone. I got the CRC tip here cycling with Gates

Apparently Gates recommend CRC heavy duty silicone. I have scrubbed mine with lots of water but the sound Comes back after around 50Km. For the last week or so I just spray a little water out of my bottle as I cycle and it shuts it up. I suspect that IPA is not Indian Pale Ale, perhaps it is iso-propyl alcohol. Not knowing what the belt is made with I am anxious about that in case it starts to dissolve the belt. What puzzles me is that the belt was silent for the first 2000Km and now there is no shutting it up. I am tempted to try a little silicone. I got the CRC tip here cycling with Gates
Sorry for any confusion, yes IPA is isopropyl alcohol (though more commonly in our town of Portland OR it would be considered India Pale Ale!). My belt too was silent in my 2 years of riding my Giant LaFree e+2 until within a day or two it was no shutting it up as well. Since I used simple green (got the belt wet, sprayed on simple green and scrubbed with toothbrust, rinsed and kept rotating belt till all clean) I haven’t heard a peep. Just saying that the mechanics at the shop where I bought my bike advised not to use silicone but that it simply needed to be cleaned. Hope this helps.

Thanks to all for the feedback

I sprayed the interior side of the Gates belt before riding this evening. The squeak was less noticeable than yesterdays ride. lThis is the 3rd time within a month CRC silicone has been sprayed on the interior side of the belt. I do not know what the duration of CRC silicon spray is. I'm ride approximately 200 miles per week with the Delite. I do not know if the spray wears out with mileage. If the squeak continues I will take the bike to a Wheel & Sprocket in Oak Park. They service R&M bikes. Hoping to avoid a dealer for service with a squeak. W&S require 1.5 weeks or longer for service. I recently donated my non e-bikes to this group and will be bike-less if I have to go to a dealer.

The person who set the Delite up told me the motor bolts have a torque of 40nm. I will check the bolts with a torque wrench. I have no ambition to do anything else with the motor.

Someone on this forum mentioned a Trek e-bike is easier to deal with for service than a R&M. I tend to agree as there are many local Trek dealers in my area and only 2 R&M dealers both requiring a long commute.

I have checked the pedals and recently switched to OneUp platform as they have high end bearings compared to the eBay specials I started with. The creak is not coming from the pedals. Also need to check and headset assembly and may have add a touch of grease.
And here I thought the big plus of belts was you didn’t have to lube them! I lube my chains once a month after cleaning and my chains never squeak!

And here I thought the big plus of belts was you didn’t have to lube them! I lube my chains once a month after cleaning and my chains never squeak!
The other end of the scale is where my belt is at, cleaned it once in 3 years (just did it once upon a time, didn't need it), no silicon, no nothing.
It's been out in rain, not hail but plenty of shine, dry, dusty, sandy, slightly muddy, even left overnight in the rain at times.

Last edited:
Back