CREO SL Crank clicking

ken2116

Region
USA
CREO SL noise/click, crank area:

I've started getting a noticeable, single click from the crank area (it sounds like a latch closing, and sometimes I can feel it in the pedals) when I stop pedaling to coast when the bike is being ridden with electric power turned off. I started about 30 miles into a 60 mi. ride, initially occurring randomly perhaps one in 10 times but within ~ 10 more miles was occurring perhaps every third or fourth time. It's less likely to occur if I gradually ease into coasting over maybe a quarter of a revolution. When pedaling steadily with the power off there is no noise from the crank area, the bike is very quiet. It sounds to me like it might be a clutch (is there a sprague clutch in there?) that either has become loose, needs lubrication, or is faulty, but that's just a guess.

With power turned on (Eco and Sport Modes) I can hear and feel a very soft click or glitch at the beginning of pedaling and again upon initiating coasting, though the click when stopping pedaling is less pronounced than it is when power is turned off (it may always have been performed this way when powered). The motor whines a bit with power on, when riding gravel in ECO Mode this is nearly imperceptible over the tire noise, it's definitely noticeable when climbing in Sport Mode on steep hills. I do most riding with the power off, reserving it mainly for steeper hills.

I believe the bike is a Turbo CREO SL, carbon rims, elec. shifters, Al crank., but not an EVO. A sticker pasted into the manual states "2019/08" which I take to be the manufacturing date. It was purchased new at a local shop in 2020 and I acquired it used in summer of 2022 in with ~ 60 electric miles and 1 charge indicated and with tires that had new appearing mold flash, so very little used. I estimate I've ridden it ~ 500-1000mi. (< 200mi. electric), all flawless until now. About 200-300 miles ago a stick caught and derailed the chain to the inside of the front sprocket, but the bike rode fine afterwards. Also around that time I fell to the right side while crossing wet tracks but there was no apparent damage. Other than those events the bike has had an easy life.

I've seen one other post listing a similar sounding problem that was attributed to a loose screw (accessed through the front chainring spokes) that the poster said tightened a crank spline. I checked that screw (a Torx) and found it tight.

Update 4/16/2023: I've probably ridden an additional 400-500mi. including a half dozen continuous 2000+ ft. climbs with some 20+% sections in Sport mode and a 20min. full effort level stretch in Turbo, this is more intense riding than the bike saw previously. The click now occurs both with motor off, as before, and also now with motor power on. It occurs only at the moment I stop pedaling and reverse ever so slightly - this is the only abnormal abnormal noise the bike makes. It can be soft or very loud, is loud more frequently than previously and sometimes it seems especially intense after a stretch of heavy cranking. All bolts associated with the crank are tight, the spline is tight and doesn't wiggle, cover is tight, I keep 3 chains in a cleaning rotation and it occurs with all of them, including when the the two additional chains were new, there is no significant wear even on the original chain, all run silently.

Last edited:
I have a creo and have had a couple of crank clicks. Mine happened both with and without the motor on. Two more things to check, besides the splined crank collar you already checked:

Retorque the chainring bolts. That took care of my click for a while.

Check the plastic motor cover. It’s held in place with one bolt on the bottom of the bottom bracket. It’s just a flimsy plastic cover and mine wasn’t fitted correctly. You’ll see when you take it off - the front edge has a little lip that helps hold it in place, but it can be bolted on with that lip not tucked in the way it should be. Once I fixed that my click went away for good.

You describe exactly the symptoms I have experienced for about the past month, although I have a Bosch motor. I can even recall when it started. The good news is that the motor continues to function normally other than the “chinking” sound and feel. My local LBS is currently helping me pursue a replacement motor within the 2 yr warranty. Still waiting to hear back.

My own diagnosis is a cracked bearing which I can feel as I rock the pedals back and forth. At one time I was thinking centrifugal clutch. Trek “800” Tech Support recommended motor replacement based upon the symptoms I describe. The LBS tech is Bosch certified but, like most bike shops, they do not open the motor and attempt repairs. They claim Bosch has been a stand-up company behind their products. keeping my fingers crossed, although I will likely replace the motor regardless of warranty or not.

Thanks, I'll check those things, bolts or cover might have been disturbed in my "incidents". This isn't a cyclic sound, though, it only occurs immediately when I pause pedaling with the crank in any position, and is noticeably louder when power is off. I'll search the forums, but can anyone point me to an assembly drawing for the motor drive, or a shop manual?

Last edited:
Mine was the chainring being loose on the crank spline. Tighten up the pinch bolt.

Attachments

• Front Sprocket Pinch Bolt.jpg
    Front Sprocket Pinch Bolt.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 259
Thanks, I'll check those things, bolts or cover might have been disturbed in my "incidents". This isn't a cyclic sound, though, it only occurs immediately when I pause pedaling with the crank in any position, and is noticeably louder when power is off. I'll search the forums, but can anyone point me to an assembly drawing for the motor drive, or a shop manual?

i’ve heard a sound in that position once or twice, it sounds more to me like a small “clunk” and has been described as being related to the “clutch” assembly which disengages the motor when not under power, to avoid drag. you can actually slightly feel it sometimes. but it’s very, very, very subtle. if yours is a very audible click and occurs on every stop, there may be something loose in the motor assembly. i would also check the chainring bolts and the crank arm torque, but those would likely manifest in other ways, IMO.

Check your chain wear.
Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Chain "stretch" over a gauge length of 5.0" measures 0.2% (0.008-0.010", almost that of a new chain), the chain is the original, has ~ 700mi., is lubricated and quiet. It's not slapping.

I've double checked that all crank and sprocket bolts and the pinch bolt are tight, the plastic bottom shield is properly positioned and its mounting bolt tight.

I suspect a clutch and am torn between digging into it my self or taking it to a shop. Does anyone know of a shop that repairs the motor drive units as opposed to simply replacing them? I will consult a Specialized dealer before doing either.

FYI, even though my pinch bolt was tight, grabing both sides of the chainring with my hands I was able to wiggle it back and forth.

Back