Anyone go from a CC to the CCS? Thoughts and selling used CC.

theNJR

I've had my Crosscurrent for almost a year now and can not believe how much I love it. Even after this much time I get such joy out of my bike, it's unlike anything I've ever owned. I bike 60-100 a week, often getting 40 miles per charge on adventures through Los Angeles. I've had a few minor issues (two broken spokes, a few parts have come loose, breaks needed adjustment) but nothing major. Every weekend when I bike I am limited by the battery, and wish could get 60-80 miles per charge. I've been eyeing the CCS for some time. That 19.2 battery would be a huge upgrade. So I am curious if anyone has gone from the CC to CCS? What have you noticed? And has anyone sold their CC? Curious what they go for used.

Why not just buy a new, larger battery? You already have a bike you love, sounds like you just want a bigger battery.

Why not just buy a new, larger battery? You already have a bike you love, sounds like you just want a bigger battery.

I’ve had the original Cross Current for 20 months and have test ridden the Cross Current S. It has 50% more peak power so it will hold 28mph in a lot more conditions than the original Cross Current will. If you already own a bigger battery (like I do) it can be swapped over to the Cross Current S which can reduce the cost of upgrading.

Just got my CCS in today. I've had a regular CC since June of 2016.

I'm happy with the performance and new display.

A few things I'm not happy about.

- They seem to have cheaped out a little on some of the components. An example would be the brakes. Juiced went from Tektro HD E715 to Tektro HD E350. On the Tektro website it mentions how the 715 is designed for Speed Pedelecs. The E350 doesn't mention anything about it being "made for ebikes" like the 715 does.

The 715 from the Original CC
The 350 in the new CCS

They also went from Shimano Alivio shifter and rear rear derailleur to the Shimano Altus, which from what I remember is below the Alivio in terms of quality.

Why don't you swap the better breaks shifter derailleur that are on your orig CC?

Probably what I'll end up doing. I'll put some miles on it to see if I really even notice a difference, so far I haven't noticed anything different.

Just a little bummed out that they would lower the quality of the components instead of keeping the the same, or better.

The bright integrated light and new display, along with the bigger motor and battery make up for most of it.

What kind of range are you getting with the standard battery?

I’ll preface this by saying that I ride in S mode and mostly between 22-27 mph. My 11 miles commute gets me into Santa Monica faster than my car. All on bike lanes or bike paths....with half the commute in a bike lane with stops and starts.

I use a little more than half the battery and top it off at work as I got. Second standard charger.

Hope this helps

They seem to have cheaped out a little on some of the components. An example would be the brakes. Juiced went from Tektro HD E715 to Tektro HD E350. On the Tektro website it mentions how the 715 is designed for Speed Pedelecs. The E350 doesn't mention anything about it being "made for ebikes" like the 715 does.

The 715 from the Original CC
The 350 in the new CCS

I’m not convinced the HD-715’s are better than the Tektro E350. Both use the same size brake pads so I don’t know that the braking power is necessarily any stronger. Having ridden bikes with the Tektro Aurigas the brakes didn’t feel any less powerful than the HD-715’s on my Cross Current. I don’t really have any complaints about the brake performance on my Cross Current. The Tektro HD-710’s use a bigger pad so they could very well be stronger. And of course Tektro came out with brakes with four piston calipers last year which are probably even better.

I upgraded the shifter and derailleur on my Cross Current to 10sp Deore XT for about $125 (installed it myself.) I’m a stickler for shift quality so it was money well spent.

I’m not convinced the HD-715’s are better than the Tektro E350. Both use the same size brake pads so I don’t know that the braking power is necessarily any stronger. Having ridden bikes with the Tektro Aurigas the brakes didn’t feel any less powerful than the HD-715’s on my Cross Current. I don’t really have any complaints about the brake performance on my Cross Current. The Tektro HD-710’s use a bigger pad so they could very well be stronger. And of course Tektro came out with brakes with four piston calipers last year which are probably even better.

I upgraded the shifter and derailleur on my Cross Current to 10sp Deore XT for about $125 (installed it myself.) I’m a stickler for shift quality so it was money well spent.
Agreed. I see in the specs that the HD-715 has a four finger brake lever. That is the only substantive difference with regard to braking power. More leverage.

The real business would be that HD-725. Boy, would that be great on the front wheel: twice the pad area, four pistons instead of two. The gain in braking power is sufficient that Tektro provides it with a 2 finger lever instead of the 4 finger lever of the HD-715.

I like that Tektro website...it really makes all the goods easy to study and compare.

Agreed. I see in the specs that the HD-715 has a four finger brake lever. That is the only substantive difference with regard to braking power. More leverage.

The real business would be that HD-725. Boy, would that be great on the front wheel: twice the pad area, four pistons instead of two. The gain in braking power is sufficient that Tektro provides it with a 2 finger lever instead of the 4 finger lever of the HD-715.

I like that Tektro website...it really makes all the goods easy to study and compare.

Yeah. I've put on about 60 miles so far and really can't notice a difference in performance. The quality of the actual components feel better on the 715, especially the lever.

But I did notice one thing. The 350 is much easier to bleed than the 715. The 715s have a nipple that needs to be turned on the caliper, and the nipple has this piece of rubber covering it which is hard to remove without ripping. With the 350 you can just unscrew the bleed port on the caliper with a T15 driver and add the hose etc.

Shifting I can't tell any difference at all between the Alivio from the CC and the Altus from the CCS. It was skipping in 9th, but a quick turn of the barrel adjuster fixed all that.

I still got some miles to catch up the 3,000 or so I had put on my CC, but so far so good.

Back