Anybody Ride a Specialized Turbo Tero Yet?

They say 60-622. Wouldn’t the GPS data from the Garmin be the most reliable assuming it had a good signal lock? Is your thought that I could get the exact wheel size from the Garmin and then enter it into the built in Specialized computer? (Or have the bike shop do it since I didn’t see it as a possible setting)
I am undoubtedly wrong but I would expect the gps reading to be somewhat off since it is connecting line segments, obviously, very short line segments as opposed to the wheel rotation measuring the distance it actually covers. Kind of like those wheelie devices that road workers roll along a road or sidewalk or path to get distance.

Enjoy the new bike or bikes that folks are discussing now.

And also I have been watching this thread closely. The Tero looks like a bike I would have purchased had it been available when I bought my Giant.
I am starting the shopping process again (with no rush) , and although I really like my Fathom Pro, it's not a slam dunk that it's going to see another summer underneath me.

Eagerly awaiting more feedback reports from you lucky Tero owners!

And also I have been watching this thread closely. The Tero looks like a bike I would have purchased had it been available when I bought my Giant.
I am starting the shopping process again (with no rush) , and although I really like my Fathom Pro, it's not a slam dunk that it's going to see another summer underneath me.

Eagerly awaiting more feedback reports from you lucky Tero owners!
Same. This would have been on my shortlist when I was shopping for an ebike in 2020 had it been available then.

They say 60-622. Wouldn’t the GPS data from the Garmin be the most reliable assuming it had a good signal lock? Is your thought that I could get the exact wheel size from the Garmin and then enter it into the built in Specialized computer? (Or have the bike shop do it since I didn’t see it as a possible setting)
Theoretical wheel circumference for 60-622 is 2331 mm or 91.77 in. What is the internally stored WhC value in your Tero? (Use Mission Control). If the discrepancy between the value I've given and Tero default is noticeable, you have your answer. The Specialized LBS tech should be able to enter the correct value of WhC into your Tero internals in a few minutes.

Garmin Edge can work based on two very different principles:
  • If you use the device "as is", it is using its GPS for speed and distance measurement. The point is, the GPS could fail at times, especially ridden in a deep forest or a canyon.
  • If you connect your Tero as a Sensor to your Edge, you will get a number of parameters transmitted from your e-bike to the Garmin bike computer: RPM of the rear wheel, bike reported speed, battery %, assistance mode (travel mode), Cadence, Rider's Power. In such a case, Wheel Circumference as given in Edge times rear wheel RPM are multiplied to give the (accurate) Distance, that is independent of GPS. Garmin Edge allows you to calculate WhC automatically to match GPS readouts. In the Manual mode, you enter the WhC figure, and it is the best to calibrate it against GPS.
Regardless what I have said above: the correct value of WhC stored in the e-bike makes the display readouts (speed, distance) match reality.

Theoretical wheel circumference for 60-622 is 2331 mm or 91.77 in. What is the internally stored WhC value in your Tero? (Use Mission Control). If the discrepancy between the value I've given and Tero default is noticeable, you have your answer. The Specialized LBS tech should be able to enter the correct value of WhC into your Tero internals in a few minutes.

Garmin Edge can work based on two very different principles:
  • If you use the device "as is", it is using its GPS for speed and distance measurement. The point is, the GPS could fail at times, especially ridden in a deep forest or a canyon.
  • If you connect your Tero as a Sensor to your Edge, you will get a number of parameters transmitted from your e-bike to the Garmin bike computer: RPM of the rear wheel, bike reported speed, battery %, assistance mode (travel mode), Cadence, Rider's Power. In such a case, Wheel Circumference as given in Edge times rear wheel RPM are multiplied to give the (accurate) Distance, that is independent of GPS. Garmin Edge allows you to calculate WhC automatically to match GPS readouts. In the Manual mode, you enter the WhC figure, and it is the best to calibrate it against GPS.
Regardless what I have said above: the correct value of WhC stored in the e-bike makes the display readouts (speed, distance) match reality.
Thanks for the detailed reply! I’ve looked through the mission control app and can’t find where the wheel circumference is located. I did add my bike to the Garmin and will ride it when my calf feels up to it to see what that does (partially torn calf muscle hence the ebike). I was also wondering how much wheel slip played into the difference since the Garmin had lower total milage and I was riding on a road with tons of large rocks and was slipping all over the place. After doing more reading, it looks like I need to lower my tire pressure. I had it set at 45 PSI

These items are available in the EQ version of Tero. Plus fenders.
Otherwise, no MTB ever comes with fenders, lights, kickstand or rack. (These things do not belong in MTB).
An MTBer would attach powerful external lights (that don't come cheap) for night riding.
Do you have any recommendations? I’d like to get some decent lights for night riding. Also, I assume the center mount kickstand on sale at specialized will fit on the bike, but it doesn’t mention compatibility. Anyone happen to know if it will fit on the Tero?

Do you have any recommendations? I’d like to get some decent lights for night riding. Also, I assume the center mount kickstand on sale at specialized will fit on the bike, but it doesn’t mention compatibility. Anyone happen to know if it will fit on the Tero?
Actually I just noticed the other forums with tons of light recommendations, I’ll spare you the breath and investigate there ;)

Finally got a Tero 5. (Long story I ended up with one shipped to the store vs the one direct from Specialized since that one is still stuck in a FedEx distribution center). I took it on about a 9 mile ride up a mountain on a fire road with very rough, large rocks. The power was amazing. I was able to make it up a 22% grade hill and was still seated in the saddle and only working at about 50% capacity. The bike is heavy but feels pretty balanced. On these steep grades, it used 10% battery per mile. I did get a kickstand on it which helps parking it in the garage. Overall, it was a riot to ride.
Somewhere on the Washington side of the Columbia river gorge looking SSE toward Bonneville dam with Mt Hood hiding in the clouds?

It is under "Diagnose".
It’s set at 88.78 Inches. Here is a pic of the Garmin(13.4MPH) vs the built in computer (14.9)
5EB5143C-7448-4C4D-A374-D0890E4C7F3F.jpeg

It’s set at 88.78 Inches.
It is strange. It is very very strange. That is, the value of 88.78"/2,255 mm that is the same as in my big Vado with totally different wheels (and which is totally wrong, too). Now I have a suspicion the number displayed in Mission Control is just a dummy that does not reflect the actual value of Wheel Circumference as stored inside the bike.

Let me tell you about my own experience with my Vado, which came with 51-622 (29 x 2.0") tyres:
  • The theoretical wheel circumference of those tyres was 2,274 mm (89.53")
  • Mission Control reported 2,255 (88.78")
  • The Specialized tech looked into the bike with his Turbo Studio and told me the actual value of Wheel Circumference stored in the bike was 2,300 mm (90.55")
Funny, isn't it? How can we expect true speed and distance readout on the TCD display if we have no control on the Wheel Circumference of the e-bike?

What you could do would be visiting the LBS and describing the situation ("My display gives significantly higher values of speed and distance ridden than GPS does. Can you fix it?") Turbo Studio allows adjusting the WhC inside the bike, and dealers have a table of Wheel Circumference for all Specialized tyres.

@Rider51: Can you make a comment?

Last edited:
I talked to Specialized rider care today. They will get back to me on the wheel circumference. There is also an update for the bike but you can't do it over the air. I have to take it in to the LBS for that.

I talked to Specialized rider care today. They will get back to me on the wheel circumference. There is also an update for the bike but you can't do it over the air. I have to take it in to the LBS for that.
They never got back with me with a new circumference number but I went to my local bike shop and they measured the circumference and we looked on the chart. The two numbers were close so we went in between them and set it at 2300. After setting the wheel circumference I tried it against the Garman and the speeds were spot on. One other small note, I noticed that mission control shows my bike as a different kind. The local bike shop re-flashed the bike to be a tero but it still showed it was a Vado
D636AAB8-B390-4A6E-B6DC-6807A5975C7C.jpeg

I'm glad you finally got the match between the MasterMind TCD and GPS.

As I said in another thread, pay no close attention to what Mission Control reads... :D I can bet there is no real communication between the engineering and programming departments at Spec!

You can easily measure your own wheel circumference. Position the valve stem or other marking on the tire on your floor and park the spot with a piece of chalk or tape. Roll the bike forward one revolution and mark the floor again. Measure the distance between your two marks.

I would expect some random variation in instantaneous speed measurements between two different devices because they are using two different methods to measure instantaneous speed. One is doing it mechanically and the other is doing it via GPS positioning data. And how the two computers smooth out or average out data variations is going to be different. But the distance measurement over say a 10k ride should be very close to each other if the specialized is properly calibrated. If one computer says you rode 11.2 km and the other says you rode 10.3 km then you have an issue.

Back