Any RadMini people out there

Rad Piwer Bike's technical group responded quickly with a list of connections to check. Now I need to find the time.

Yea, zippy again! Connector to the display panel was not connected properly at the factory. Got the light to work. Took it for a nighttime ride around the slums of Beverly Hills. I'll probably always keep it in level 5. Let the eco commuting and mods begin.

glad your bike is running! have fun!

i dont think either of my rad power bikes have ever been in level 5, that is fast!

IMG_5165.JPG

Rad on Rodeo

Just curious Steve how you decided on the Mini over the Rover ???? Do you ever see any actors on Rodeo and are friendly at all ???

Not sure who Steve is but I picked the Mini over the Rover as I thought it would make a good commuter and "last mile" solution. I also like the folding feature for storage/transport. I'm building an old dune buggy and the RadMini will be good to throw in the back.

I work near Rodeo but I don't hang out there much as it is kind of over the top. People in Beverly Hills are incredibly friendly. I probably walk by celebs all the time without realizing it.

Not sure who Steve is but I picked the Mini over the Rover as I thought it would make a good commuter and "last mile" solution. I also like the folding feature for storage/transport. I'm building an old dune buggy and the RadMini will be good to throw in the back.

I work near Rodeo but I don't hang out there much as it is kind of over the top. People in Beverly Hills are incredibly friendly. I probably walk by celebs all the time without realizing it.

Thanks BH !!! I meant you and not Steve. A senior moment !!!! Yes I can see the foldable part being an advantage.

I just bought my Mini at Rad Bikes 2 days ago . I love it! The shop was very helpful, I got to meet all the staff there and they answered my questions gratiously. I'm a little uncertain about the knobby tires and the freewheel sizing. I appreciate the forum and look forward to monitoring it. thanks

This Rad mini has 20" tires right?

If you're looking for a practical option to those giant tires, replace with 16" Moped tires.. Moped tires are sized based on rim diameter, and bicycle tires are sized based on tire diameter.

I've used these Shinko tires on my A2B Metro and they fit just fine, they are extremely tough (DOT rated for 75 mph) and are inexpensive.

Would suggest a tire width of 2.5" to 2.75". It might not look as cool but these moped tires will ride smoother, quieter and will be MUCH more reliable than those thin walled fat tires.

https://www.amazon.com/Shinko-SR714...qid=1464788917&sr=1-14&keywords=moped+tire+16

See http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/wheel/tires/
for a great discussion on Moped tires . .

Thanks for the info! This shape of battery is known as the "Silver Fish" if you are looking at replacements.

On my rides I've been a lot heavier on the throttle than you, I think. On my 11 mile ride I had 3/5 bars remaining after the battery settled. I averaged 14-15mph on hills and 20 on the flats... I'm really looking forward to having two higher gears on the new freewheel to assist more.

For those who are new to ebikes, the power bars will drop when you apply throttle, even on a full charge. To gauge the remaining power, you have to let it settle and read it when the battery's at rest.

All of my wheel parts are supposed to arrive Thurs, hope to find the time to get it all installed quickly. I miss my evening rides.

here's the tires I ordered:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

and the freewheel ($$$)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A8RPUS/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g468_i4_sh
Caution The Silverfish battery comes in several power connection configurations. I ordered one but it didn't have the bottom power connections as on the mini battery.

See http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/wheel/tires/
for a great discussion on Moped tires . .

Just wondering if anyone had tried a moped tire on their RadMini? Also, would a 3.00" Shinko dual-sport moped tire fit on the stock rim? The weight of a moped tire may be a concern as well. They all seem to be about 6 or 7 pounds as opposed to an average 2+ weight for a 4 inch fat bike tire.

I have yet to purchase a Radmini. I am still debating between this model and a Juiced ODK U500 as my first electric bike. I am also looking at an interesting Luna Cycle Truck Cargo eBike with a mid-drive motor.

As you can see, I am intrigued by the small-wheeled cargo bike catagory of ebikes.

However, the folding-feature of the RadMini will probably push me to choose this bike when all my research is done.

Thanks!

-Chuck

I got my Radmini a week before Christmas. I had some issues with putting it together but the video helped. I got the mini because I'm 66, diabetic and in need of more exercise than I'm getting sailing my boats. I expect to use it to go to Safeway for a load of groceries now and again. the only issue I have had is the battery slide bar bent when removing the battery...removed it and pounded flat so now good to go. getting the folding bike was for storage and in case I have a flat or such and need to call wife for a ride home.

Got my RadMini as a Christmas gift and I'm loving it. Got it for exercise and for getting out of the house. Already had a bike, but with bad knees I really don't know when they will give me problems so having the electric motor as a back up is a good thing.

Just wondering if anyone had tried a moped tire on their RadMini? Also, would a 3.00" Shinko dual-sport moped tire fit on the stock rim? The weight of a moped tire may be a concern as well. They all seem to be about 6 or 7 pounds as opposed to an average 2+ weight for a 4 inch fat bike tire.

I have yet to purchase a Radmini. I am still debating between this model and a Juiced ODK U500 as my first electric bike. I am also looking at an interesting Luna Cycle Truck Cargo eBike with a mid-drive motor.

As you can see, I am intrigued by the small-wheeled cargo bike catagory of ebikes.

However, the folding-feature of the RadMini will probably push me to choose this bike when all my research is done.

Thanks!

-Chuck
You might want to look at rei bike trailer which looks superb for hauling. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:

Thanks!

-Chuck

Chuck,

I'm using Sunlite XL Cruiser 20 x 4 1/4 tires on my RadMini.
I and a few people have the Maxxis Hookworms 26 x 2.5" mounted on the RadRover, so maybe the 3" shinkos might fit the fat tire rims.

Sang

How do you like the Sunlite-XL tires Sang? Do they feel heavy?

Thanks for your reply.

Steve

The Sunlite XL Cruiser's do feel a bit heavy, but they feel solid.

The neighborhood streets I use for my commute are generally clean, but I do ride through 2 days of trash pickup, so they can get a bit messy on those days. The Sunlites give me a little more confidence on those days riding through dirty streets. I bought and installed the full fenders from radpowerbikes, but I haven't had time to go riding with them.

Sang
I really need to post some pics

The Sunlite XL Cruiser's do feel a bit heavy, but they feel solid.

The neighborhood streets I use for my commute are generally clean, but I do ride through 2 days of trash pickup, so they can get a bit messy on those days. The Sunlites give me a little more confidence on those days riding through dirty streets. I bought and installed the full fenders from radpowerbikes, but I haven't had time to go riding with them.

Sang
I really need to post some pics

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hello, Radminites! I've had the Radmini for about two months now and it's a fun bike. This is my first ebike, and I did much research before settling on it. Most bikes are single purpose, but I was looking for a versatile "jack of all trades" that could handle a little of everything. I looked at every clone equivalent, but they were either too costly or lacked a warranty.

And I needed that warranty. I had problems with the fork out of the box, but Rad Power Bikes sent a replacement without too much hassle, although I had to pay labor to have it fixed. The bike now rolls fine and I've had fun with it despite a frigid winter.

The bike attracts stares, as few people have ebikes where I'm at, and no one has a mini folding fat ebike! I feel like I might be invited to ride in parades. When I brought it into the bike shop, the whole store came over to look. The shop manager stated, "This bike contains every design feature we generally cringe at, but nevertheless it's cool." I showed the RadMini to a relative who said it looks "mildly apocalyptic" and would have been perfect for Burning Man. =-) It's definitely a conversation starter!

I'm glad the Radmini folds, because it attracts too much attention to leave outside. The tires and low height have been great in the rain and snow, but I need fenders. I think the headlight it ships with is practically useless. I bought an 800 lumen bike light off Amazon that's drop-in compatible with the front carrier mount. I definitely hope to get more riding in once it warms up and look forward to modding it.

Anyway, that's my experience so far. Love the thread and info!

Last edited:
Hello, Radminites! I've had the Radmini for about two months now and it's a fun bike. This is my first ebike, and I did much research before settling on it. Most bikes are single purpose, but I was looking for a versatile "jack of all trades" that could handle a little of everything. I looked at every clone equivalent, but they were either too costly or lacked a warranty.

And I needed that warranty. I had problems with the fork out of the box, but Rad Power Bikes sent a replacement without too much hassle, although I had to pay labor to have it fixed. The bike now rolls fine and I've had fun with it despite a frigid winter.

The bike attracts stares, as few people have ebikes where I'm at, and no one has a mini folding fat ebike! I feel like I might be invited to ride in parades. When I brought it into the bike shop, the whole store came over to look. The shop manager stated, "This bike contains every design feature we generally cringe at, but nevertheless it's cool." I showed the RadMini to a relative who said it looks "mildly apocalyptic" and would have been perfect for Burning Man. =-) It's definitely a conversation starter!

I'm glad the Radmini folds, because it attracts too much attention to leave outside. The tires and low height have been great in the rain and snow, but I need fenders. I think the headlight it ships with is practically useless. I bought an 800 lumen bike light off Amazon that's drop-in compatible with the front carrier mount. I definitely hope to get more riding in once it warms up and look forward to modding it.

Anyway, that's my experience so far. Love the thread and info!

It seems that almost everyone who rides a Radmini gets an audience no matter where they might go. When I'm in the parking lot and pulling my Radmini out of my trunk and unfolding it, I always have someone walking by commenting on how neat it looks etc(one family in a convertible even stopped behind me and watched me fold it up and put it in the trunk without saying a thing) There is really no other folding fat bike(at least not that I know of...yet) that has the features and power of the Radmini. I have been using mine to explore hard to reach places(that you can't get to with a traditional vehicle be it an ATV or even a dirtbike due to the amount of noise) I've visited lots of abandoned spots on the island that really do look post-apocalyptic.

BTW What kind of front light did you get for your bike and does it attach to the power connector that was meant for the stock light?

Also here's a recent video of my ride far out into the country:

Back