Any RadMini people out there

Thanks for the info! This shape of battery is known as the "Silver Fish" if you are looking at replacements.

On my rides I've been a lot heavier on the throttle than you, I think. On my 11 mile ride I had 3/5 bars remaining after the battery settled. I averaged 14-15mph on hills and 20 on the flats... I'm really looking forward to having two higher gears on the new freewheel to assist more.

For those who are new to ebikes, the power bars will drop when you apply throttle, even on a full charge. To gauge the remaining power, you have to let it settle and read it when the battery's at rest.

All of my wheel parts are supposed to arrive Thurs, hope to find the time to get it all installed quickly. I miss my evening rides.

here's the tires I ordered:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

and the freewheel ($$$)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A8RPUS/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_g468_i4_sh

Hello @mbirds I am finally taking the plunge and doing the freewheel upgrade as you did. I am going to cut the tool so I do not have to cut the wire.

Any thoughts or tips that you have not already provided?

Thanks

If I may suggest another option.... (I tried twice adjusting the freewheel tool, waste of time).
Check out this guy... https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCaAK2FaxQ2xiBbAUVZsvDYQ. This vid is called "freewheel removal without special tools."
My freewheel was changed out today, with his technique it took 5 minutes. The drift pin tapping was so easy, couple short hammer blows, be careful to protect your disk on the reverse side. I placed my tire over a bucket.. also instead of a pipe wrench, channel locks worked to loosen the last part. You may need a chain whip to tighten you new freewheel.

If I may suggest another option.... (I tried twice adjusting the freewheel tool, waste of time).
Check out this guy... https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCaAK2FaxQ2xiBbAUVZsvDYQ. This vid is called "freewheel removal without special tools."
My freewheel was changed out today, with his technique it took 5 minutes. The drift pin tapping was so easy, couple short hammer blows, be careful to protect your disk on the reverse side. I placed my tire over a bucket.. also instead of a pipe wrench, channel locks worked to loosen the last part. You may need a chain whip to tighten you new freewheel.

Hey @bosun52,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I too tried cutting the freewheel tool and after cutting it was not strong enough and fell apart when trying to loosen the freewheel. I have another freewheel coming and was trying to figure out what I am going to do next. I saw that video and am glad that it was successful for you.

Are you using the DNP Epoch Freewheel 7spd 11-28 that mbird posted here?
Did you need to get a new bearing assembly or did the Epoch already have that part.

Thank you for any info you have. I love my Radmini but I would really love to get the ability to pedal at tops speeds.

Hey @bosun52,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I too tried cutting the freewheel tool and after cutting it was not strong enough and fell apart when trying to loosen the freewheel. I have another freewheel coming and was trying to figure out what I am going to do next. I saw that video and am glad that it was successful for you.

Are you using the DNP Epoch Freewheel 7spd 11-28 that mbird posted here?
Did you need to get a new bearing assembly or did the Epoch already have that part.

Thank you for any info you have. I love my Radmini but I would really love to get the ability to pedal at tops speeds.
Yes, installed the DNP Epoch 11/28, bearing assembly was included in the freewheel. Amazon purchase, about $31.
You will really enjoy the "upgrade"

Hi, ordered my RadMini and fenders on Monday. Going to make it a commuter.

Did a little street tire searching:

20x4 Vee Tire co., offroad but the tread looks ok for street use. Tubeless, will that work on the RadMini wheel?: https://www.modernbike.com/vee-tire...olding-bead-mpc-compound-tubeless-ready-black

20x4.25 cruiser tire might work, super cheap, quality might not be so good: https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-XL-Cruiser-Tires-Black/dp/B0063R2X86

Fat tire 101: https://fat-bike.com/2013/03/fat-bike-101-tires/

Chopper bike 20x4.25 (out of stock): http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/chopper-tire-20-x-4-1-4-black

I would also like to add an SKS chain guard/chainboard/chainblade. Anyone know if these will work and what size to buy?

https://www.sks-germany.com/en/productcategories/chainguards/

I'm using 20x4.4" sunlite tires & have 20x4 mongoose tubes on my RadMini, which I use to commute on the streets with a little fireroad in a county park.

Sunlite XL Cruiser Tires, 20 x 4-1/4", Black/Black

Mongoose MG78457-6 Fat Tire Tube, 20 x 4"

Sang

Here is a link to remove the freewheel:
It works, but you can't re-use the old freewheel, but who cares. At least this method doesn't involve cutting or splicing the power cable which I'm sure would void your warranty. I can say for me it worked, and takes just a few minutes once the wheel is off.

Last edited:
RadMini arrived today, initial impressions are not very positive. I hope someone from Rad Power Bikes can help fix my initial impressions.

Bike shipped a week ago, estimated time chart said 1-2 biz days for the west coast. Then UPS left it at the wrong address so I had to bust home from work and haul this heavy beast upstairs. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery after a high speed road bike accident so this didn't help my pain level. UPS's not RPB's issues but it set the tone.

Charged up the battery, assembled the bike, super simple. The cheap headlight came with bracket that doesn't seem right and no bolt to hold it in place so I had to get my own. Front rack light bracket had to be bent to the center.

Display powers up for a split second and then turns off. Tried it several times, before I got it to stay on. Tried the headlight, screen illuminates, headlight doesn't work. Checked the connections several times, no luck. Took the bike outside, aired up the tires and tried to go for a ride. Power keeps shutting off, when I can get it to stay on for more than a fraction of a second, I'm only able to ride about a foot before it shuts off.

So I currently have an expensive, heavy bike blocking my car instead of the zippy commuter I was looking to take to work tomorrow.

RadMini arrived today, initial impressions are not very positive. I hope someone from Rad Power Bikes can help fix my initial impressions.

Bike shipped a week ago, estimated time chart said 1-2 biz days for the west coast. Then UPS left it at the wrong address so I had to bust home from work and haul this heavy beast upstairs. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery after a high speed road bike accident so this didn't help my pain level. UPS's not RPB's issues but it set the tone.

Charged up the battery, assembled the bike, super simple. The cheap headlight came with bracket that doesn't seem right and no bolt to hold it in place so I had to get my own. Front rack light bracket had to be bent to the center.

Display powers up for a split second and then turns off. Tried it several times, before I got it to stay on. Tried the headlight, screen illuminates, headlight doesn't work. Checked the connections several times, no luck. Took the bike outside, aired up the tires and tried to go for a ride. Power keeps shutting off, when I can get it to stay on for more than a fraction of a second, I'm only able to ride about a foot before it shuts off.

So I currently have an expensive, heavy bike blocking my car instead of the zippy commuter I was looking to take to work tomorrow.

Did you give the battery a full charge ? It takes more than a couple hours. Give customer service a call, sure to help you out... good luck. Hope you post updates...

rad will get right on it and ship you whatever part you need
and most of the parts are quick to swap out

sorry your new bike isnt working, i know it is aggravating

once you get it working right it will totally be worth it, hang in there

Back