Any potential rain issues with pre 2020 battery mounts, Bossch drive or Rohloff?

Alanzo

My rookie question for the evening.

I notice the current R&M bikes have batteries integrated into the frame. The bike I have has batteries that clip onto the frame. Wondering if anyone has had any electronic issues when commuting in the rain with batteries exposed to moisture. Also wondering if the Bosch drive and Rohloff can handle a wet commute.

I notice the current R&M bikes have batteries integrated into the frame. The bike I have has batteries that clip onto the frame. Wondering if anyone has had any electronic issues when commuting in the rain with batteries exposed to moisture. Also wondering if the Bosch drive and Rohloff can handle a wet commute.
nope and I wash my bike without the battery. you mayweed some contact cleaner but thats it.

Nah. If you're running a dualbatt bike without the second battery, it's a good idea to plug the connectors, but we've not seen the rain cause any issues here in Seattle.

I have ridden extensively in the rain and never a problem with motor, Rohloff, batteries or connections due to wet conditions.

Going to update here. My Intuvia control unit died. I'm on tour and have had daily rain and lots of unavoidable riding in the rain.. To put things in context, the bike has over 5k miles now, and I suspect a hair dryer may bring the old control unit back as it became a bit more responsive under dryer ambient conditions. It was just easier to replace it.

Going to update here. My Intuvia control unit died. I'm on tour and have had daily rain and lots of unavoidable riding in the rain.. To put things in context, the bike has over 5k miles now, and I suspect a hair dryer may bring the old control unit back as it became a bit more responsive under dryer ambient conditions. It was just easier to replace it.
I do wonder if brushing some grease on the metal contact points of the display underside will prevent any potential moisture issue with a display. I recently rode in rain got totally soaked and had some concern the display might stop working while riding. I do grease the battery contacts on the frame but not the display.

A thought I have to prevent rain from damaging the display is to use a plastic wrap prior to riding. Seal the open ends with electirial tape. Easy to remove and will allow view and function of the display.

Dblhelix, If you think it could be limited to the contact points you might try Caig Laboratories. It's worked great for me and fixed a number of electrical contact/connection issues. Not cheap but ....
Good luck, Tom

Back