any other foot-forward bikes besides magnum and townie?

flipper

Well, i'd been looking at bikes w/ 20" tires so i could plant my feet solidly on the ground when at a standstill but then i went and saw the magnum low rider, which has a foot-forward design w a 26" tire, and i liked that much better. unfortunately, at $2,250, it's out of my price range. The Electra Townie, with its own foot-forward config, is much more affordable ... but its motor is half the size of the magnum's, and it doesn't have any suspension, and so on. I know, you gotta pay up to get what you want. Then again, if Rad had a foot-forward bike, it'd likely have everything i want and only cost 1,500. So, maybe there's something like that already out there. Anyone know?

Meanwhile, are there any drawbacks to riding a foot-forward design, other than the difficultly of lifting your butt off the seat while pedaling?

I've kitted Trek Pure and KHS Manhattan Smoothies. There are some flatfoot frames on bikesdirect but there geometry is only similar.

thanks for that. but ... i'm not handy enough to kit something myself.

meanwhile, another issue i'd have w/ the townie: no throttle. gots to have one. and the magnum does.

beginning to seem like my only other option is to return to the idea of a 20" bike.

drat.

thanks for that. but ... i'm not handy enough to kit something myself.

meanwhile, another issue i'd have w/ the townie: no throttle. gots to have one. and the magnum does.

beginning to seem like my only other option is to return to the idea of a 20" bike.

drat.
I suggest you ride a Townie Go, if you can manage $2100. You may find with max assist a throttle isn't needed. I'm les than able and can't pedal with any leg power. But using max assist all I'm doing is making a pedaling motion. Almost clown pedaling. Test ride! Believe me they are comfortable and reliable bikes.

I'm finishing a 20" bike and it's nowhere near as comfortable as a townie flat foot frame! I can get on my step through easier than on my 20" frame.

OR if you have a local bike shop that does conversions, you could have a nice kitted bike with a throttle. What city are you in?

No problem, call BMEbikes, they will convert a KHS Smoothie with a BBS02 mid-drive with a throttle for <$1600.

I wonder if they'd do a BBSHD?

I kinda hesitate on the BBS02B. A great motor, but lazy riders not utilizing the gearing can overheat and fry controllers. To many folks just don't shift coming a stop and take off in a road high gear and stress the motor. BBSHD is FAR and away more forgiving. Heck I road mine for two years and NEVER shifted for 3rd or 4th on a 7 speed. I have three smoothies. They kinda got cheaper in the last 3 model years. No more quick release wheels but still a solid frame. The step through is really a nice easy bike to mount.

That said we have a Smoothie with a BBS01 original motor and we pay attention to up and down shifting and it's finishing it's 5 season of daily riding. I added a "green button" that kills the motor for shifting. OR there's always a gearsensor, but taping the brake lever or backpedaling works too.

We have quite a few shops doing conversions.

Magnum has a nice 20" good company and decent specs. Quite a few dealers too for support! Spent some time today chatting with them.

i'm in san diego.

cheapest BME converted smoothie, after taxes and shipping, comes to 1,764.19.

and you've still got to fork over for various options, if you want em: rear rack and suspension being two biggies for me.

think i'll see about the townie go. a quick look at the specs, however, still shows me needing to add suspension (and rear rack), and the motor is 250 w, compared to the magnum's 500w motor and 48 volt 13 amp hour battery, with both pedal assist and throttle mode. the magnum also comes w/ rack and front suspension.

hmmmm. i slowly seem to be talking myself into saving money for the magnum. it's only $150 more than the go.

San Diego! WOW, you have more choices than the Pope has Catholics!

Their staff are great guys. I can't vouch for the company as I haven't ridden the bikes. BUT the sales director is a square shooter and knows the biz. He's constantly traveling coast to coast supporting dealers. I'm taking a hard look at selling their kits. Very basic but again decent specs and equipment at a good price.

seems like it to me, too.

yes, san diego has a lot of options, but my specific needs limit them by quite a bit.

Just out of curiosity … Is the crank on a 20" bike lower to the ground than on a larger bike? Unless your legs are short so that you can't lower the seat enough on the larger wheel frame, it would seem to me that with a small wheel frame, you would still have to raise the seat up to get the correct knee angle on your pedal stroke, so the distance from the seat to the ground would be about the same as on a bike with a larger wheel. I understand how the pedal forward frames get you closer to the ground, but does a smaller wheel also do that? I admittedly don't know much about bike geometry as I used my LBS experts to help me fit my bike, so this question is just to help me understand.

hmmm. hadn't thought about that. but i guess you're right. 20" in itself won't solve the problem for those such as me. glad i didn't make a blind internet-order buy. see pic below, taken from a youtube vid. tip-toes!

Attachments

• Firefox_Screenshot_2019-10-25T12-27-10.714Z.png
    Firefox_Screenshot_2019-10-25T12-27-10.714Z.png
    555.2 KB · Views: 234
Here’s the foot forward eBike I ride. Just sharing, it only meets one of your parameters.

Attachments

• 54114003-C238-4225-B272-C02E1A4F4F6B.jpeg
    54114003-C238-4225-B272-C02E1A4F4F6B.jpeg
    750.6 KB · Views: 531
seems like it to me, too.

yes, san diego has a lot of options, but my specific needs limit them by quite a bit.
There has to be a San Diego shop that can install a hub drive on a KHS frame. Magnum has a $1100 kit. Amazon has some OK kits for less. Message me and I'll see if I can help off the forum. You won't have to reveal private information in a public forum.

BUT, you have set quite high standards and feature options for your budget. Do you need a fast bike? Suspension a must in San Diego?

If not a shop maybe a hobby builder can help you out. There are certainly lots of kit guys in San Diego. It's just a matter of finding them.

Day 6 makes a nice pedal forward fat tire called the Behemoth. It would sit you low to the ground, with the handlebars in a comfortable position. The seat is supposedly very comfortable. Their pricing is just too high for their electric model. You could buy the acoustic model and maybe add a cheaper kit.

...maybe a hobby builder can help you out. There are certainly lots of kit guys in San Diego. It's just a matter of finding them.
Maybe advertise on these forums?

i've kind of decided to save up some $ and spring for the magnum when i can. it comes stock w/ a lot of the features i want. right now, i just don't have the wherewithal to go the kit route, either done by myself or someone else. thanks, all, however, for all your thoughts and suggestions!

well, now, a late entry into the sweepstakes is one i can more or less afford right now:
https://electricbikereview.com/biktrix/stunner-x/

gets a great review from our leader here and everyone speaks very highly of the company's owner. bike has everything the magnum does, i think, except for a local dealer and the support that gives. has the foot forward feature and step thru entry.

the magnum costs $2413 with tax. the biktrix costs $1900 (after coupon), with free shipping from canada, no tax. that's $500 less.

what say ya'll?

Back