Quietest motor?

On the bold, FWI, I would NEVER make a claim like that for me personally. That was addressing YOUR claim of, and I'm quoting you here "I hit 12 mph in two petal strokes in the count of two." you made earlier. I mentioned what I did thinking what might happen if you had several times the power you have. I mean, logically, that SHOULD mean that you should be able to accelerate even faster than "I hit 12 mph in two petal strokes in the count of two" right?

Yes, I get the need for more power when dealing with more weight and/or steeper hills. That's why I own/can justify an Ultra powered bike. I DO use that power on occasion.....

Oh, and I wasn't talking about MY geared hub drive bike being faster than a mid drive when accelerating from a stop to 10 mph, I was talking about ANY 500w geared hub drive bike accelerating faster (0-10mph) than a mid drive - with the exact reason you listed in mind. You can't stay up with the mid drive need to be shifted - where the hub drive likely won't even need to be shifted......
what would happen is you could not peddle fast enough. or you would have to peddle faster as you don't have time to change gears. its actually harder on a mid drive then on my recumbent because you don't have the gearing and you accelerate so fast its hard to shift. I was trying to get the most acceleration in the shortest amount of time. if you had more power maybe you could start in a smaller cog but that limit how much torque you can put out to start. plus your going to rip up your drive train.
well yes the hub would not need to be shifted because you just don't have the gearing usually or the torque sensor to make it practical. I did that 12mph in two petal strokes with no shifting from a dead stop. Now I ma waiting for you to test out that 500 watt hub motor and see if you can get to 12mph in 2 seconds.

Just like life with a throttle equipped bike, you just can't seem to strap that tiny little bean of yours around the idea that because you have excess power doesn't mean you have to use it.
Excess power -> heavy motor -> very heavy big battery -> very heavy e-bike -> you need the throttle just to move the thing from the standstill.
This is motorbiking, not cycling.

9th gear I can probably hit 15mph to cross a six lane motorway.
Fast pedaling not peddling.
Seriously? I think you should try that...... assuming what you are calling 9th is your granny gear.....

9th gear is 3rd smaller gear on my 11 speed

1st gear is the largest gear
Yup, no argument. I had my head on backwards - again.

@Stefan Mikes what is up with you hating throttled ebikes?
I had to escape on full throttle to Jack in the Box for a double cheese burger.
Why you might ask?. GF says cannot eat meat until after Easter.
My new Bafang M620 is super quiet she didn't even notice I was gone.
Gotta love it when a plan comes together! 🤣

@Stefan Mikes what is up with you hating throttled ebikes?
I had to escape on full throttle to Jack in the Box for a double cheese burger.
Why you might ask?. GF says cannot eat meat until after Easter.
My new Bafang M620 is super quiet she didn't even notice I was gone.
I guess you could make a good argument that Jack doesn't count as meat. Still if I were risking the wrath of GF/God I would've at least gone for some L&L Hawaiian barbecue. Still mad our local one here closed a few years ago.

In my personal experience ranked quietest to loudest:

1. Brose/Specialized Vado 4
2. Yamaha/Giant Fastroad Ex Pro
3. Brose/Specialized Vado SL 4
4. Bosch/Trek Allant 8s

Hope that helps....

FWIW, I ended up getting a Specialized Turbo Vado 4 with a belt drive and an IGH. Pics and more details in this thread:

New Turbo Como 4

I'm very happy with the sound of the motor. I find it is quieter in Eco mode than higher ones; I suppose that is to be expected.

My experience is this: I wanted to buy a Riese & Müller ebike with a Bosch 85Nm motor, I tested it but the motor was too loud (and high pitched) for my taste. I tested a Giant Explore 2023 with an 85Nm motor and it was much quieter, in fact more than the Bosch 65Nm motor.

The wife has the Evelo Omega and I have the Atlas. The Dapu MD750R on her Omega is virtually silent. My Atlas with Bafang M600 has a 'light whine' that is pretty subtle.

Fauza Ride 60. I've tested this motor twice now and while it's quiet, frequency content is a little annoying. Audio clip.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 18.36.10.png

Fortunately the intensity is a little reduced when using less boost, and not the other way around (IIRC the Mahle 1.1 in the Vado SL is most annoying in Eco mode)

I put ALOT of value on a quiet motor. You do get used to the noise but its really nice when you dont hear it.

Of all the motors (Brose, Yamaha, Shimano, Bosc) I have tested, Brose is the quietest. As such all of the factory mid-drives I have bought have been Brose. The Specialized Vados are wonderful bikes if you are willing to spend the $$.

All the motors definately get noisier as you up the power.

Choices get smaller if you dont want a derailler. Specialized does have a Vado with IGH and gates belt and I bet thats one sweet ride.

As far as Evelo, the Atlas with the M600 would be my choice simply because of the Bafang m600 motor. While it may not be the quietest, its a very popular motor so it should be easy to get a replacement when needed.

If you can DIY and can live without torque assist, a BBSHD is a great motor (its onpar or even better than the Brose noisewise, even at max power)

Motor noise tends to go away as you go faster. I hear it most when climbing at lower speeds
My Ariel Rider C class has a Tongsheng motor. It is very quiet. In fact, I hardly notice it.

How are these while riding, btw? My Airpods Pro 2 catch so much wind from the port. Can't really ride with them in.
I only use one. I have it so you get wind noise but you can hear the podcast. so two may work better. tis not perfect but it works. you dont always have wind noise so that helps. with a balaclava on its great.

Back