any opinions on the KTM Macina Gran 8 (Belt Drive)?

chasg

Hi All,

First post, I hope somebody can help.

I've got a chance to buy a used KTM Macina Gran 8 (with belt drive) from a colleague, but I can't find any reviews on it (not here, not via google), which is very strange, as I can usually find reviews on just about any product with a little searching. I can only find retail links, like this one: https://www.thunderroad.co.uk/ebike/ktm-macina-gran-8-belt-2019/

Does anybody know about this particular bike, and can offer me some insights? I know that KTM themselves are based in Austria, and are known for motorbikes and mountain bikes. The KTM Macina Gran 8 looks really nice, but because I can't find any reviews, I'm not entirely confident with buying it, as it'll be bought sight-unseen (yeah, I know, but it ticks a lot of my want-boxes :) )

I'll have to also cross my fingers that it's compatible with my trailer (Burley Coho XC).

Many thanks in advance for any insights!

Chas

Chas, welcome to EBR.

Here is a video walkaround... nice looking ride! Based on the condition/miles, I would jump on it. ;)

It appears to be a Bosch Gen3 bike with a Nexus 5spd hub. If you have alot of steep grades that might not be a good fit. Otherwise if it's a good deal and your colleague will stand behind it and it ticks all your boxes why not?

The Coho will fit no problem with the right axle adapter as they make them to fit almost all bikes.

Chas, welcome to EBR.

Here is a video walkaround... nice looking ride! Based on the condition/miles, I would jump on it. ;)
Nice to be here, thanks!

I saw that video, one of the only non-retail views I could find, LOL. Seems like a nice looking bike, though my priorities have been for performance over looks (but it's nice to have the aesthetics along for the ride :) ).

I really appreciate the endorsement, hopefully I'll be able to get it for a good price.

Chas

It appears to be a Bosch Gen3 bike with a Nexus 5spd hub. If you have alot of steep grades that might not be a good fit. Otherwise if it's a good deal and your colleague will stand behind it and it ticks all your boxes why not?

The Coho will fit no problem with the right axle adapter as they make them to fit almost all bikes.
Hi, thanks very much for the reply!

I'm pretty sure that it's got an 8-speed hub (according to the specs I've read on this model), so hopefully that'll help me out with the occasional steep hill here in London (it's not a famously hilly city, but there are a few pretty steep ones!). My chief concern is that the motor and gearing system work well with a fully laden trailer (35Kg/70lbs-ish) plus my 120Kg. I'd get a cargo bike instead (with their beefier motors), but most I've found won't work with the Burley Coho attachment system: rear panniers/racks get in the way (I'm committed to the Coho, as it was a gift from my wife; returning/selling isn't an option, ha ha).

May I ask: how do you know that it's a Bosch Gen3? I've done some searching, and I was sure I'd be able to find a web page comparing the generations of the Bosch motors to each other, but that info is surprisingly hard to find. I take it that Gen3 is older tech? (for an investment like this, I usually prefer to get the latest I can afford, to stretch ownership as long as possible).

Burley themselves advised me to get a Gazelle, as they were comfortable with their ebike range being compatible with the Coho attachment system (though I'm beginning to realise that this wasn't a well-researched answer on their part). I know that they offer many Coho mounting options, I just need to be careful that I don't buy a bike that isn't compatible! (thus my question here).

Thanks again for the insights, I really appreciate it.

Chas

It has the small chainring and a 99’, Gen 4 is later issue and used a larger chain ring.

Meant to say 8...Be careful trying to shift under load and the hub should be fine.

Finding out what axle standard it uses should be easy in the specs and compare to the Coho.

At that weight and load it will do it as well as any in that category but you won’t be up against the limiter much and using the lower gear ratios a lot.

Bosch has a pretty good service network also.

Is the warranty transferable? If not, perhaps the Gazelle might be a better option...

It has the small chainring and a 99’, Gen 4 is later issue and used a larger chain ring.

Meant to say 8...Be careful trying to shift under load and the hub should be fine.

Finding out what axle standard it uses should be easy in the specs and compare to the Coho.

At that weight and load it will do it as well as any in that category but you won’t be up against the limiter much and using the lower gear ratios a lot.

Bosch has a pretty good service network also.
All good info and advice, thanks again!

Followup question: you wrote "that category", what category are you referencing?

What I guess you could call commuter or urban bikes that have a rack and fenders.

Is the warranty transferable? If not, perhaps the Gazelle might be a better option...
Ooo, I didn't think about that, very good point. Do you think you could recommend a Gazelle, as there are tons of them and I'm no expert (Hmm, no need to answer here, as I was thinking of starting a new thread with a request for bike suggestions, after detailing my rather specific needs)

Back